Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?

Will O'Donnell Profile Photo
Will O'Donnell
#1Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?
Posted: 1/1/10 at 6:41pm

Does anybody know if the Revival Cast of Bye Bye Birdie is releasing a soundtrack? I know it's pretty much not happening at this point, but I can hope.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?
Posted: 1/1/10 at 6:42pm

There will be no recording/'soundtrack'.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 1/1/10 at 06:42 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?

This.

And why does this person have no username?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?

How do you have no username?
Fascinating...

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#4re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?
Posted: 1/1/10 at 6:47pm

>And why does this person have no username? <

Maybe it's Tateh's daughter?

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Jordan Catalano
#5re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?
Posted: 1/1/10 at 6:48pm

LOL!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#6re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?
Posted: 1/1/10 at 6:48pm

Actually, I think it's a bug in the board software -- he has an apostrophe in his username.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#7re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?
Posted: 1/1/10 at 6:49pm

Well, at least we know he wears American Eagle boxers.

P

yankee_fan907 Profile Photo
yankee_fan907
#8re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?
Posted: 1/1/10 at 7:56pm

P, how do you know he's the one on the left and not the one on the right?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#9re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?
Posted: 1/1/10 at 9:40pm

To Blank

There will be no cast album of the revival. There will not be a reissue of the original movie soundtrack.

Poster Emeritus

rmusic11322
#10re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?
Posted: 1/1/10 at 9:42pm

Mr Roxy - What about the movie remake? Are they still doing that?

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#11re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?
Posted: 1/1/10 at 9:46pm

Bye Bye Birdie (2011)

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Jordan Catalano
#12re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?
Posted: 1/1/10 at 9:48pm

Rob Marshall can direct it and have the entire story be in Ed Sullivan's head.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#13re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?
Posted: 1/1/10 at 9:48pm

LOL

I'm diggin' the "I am no one" user name.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#14re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?
Posted: 1/1/10 at 9:51pm

If you click the profile button for him, it shows his name. For whatever reason, it was incognito.

TechEverlasting Profile Photo
TechEverlasting
#15re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?
Posted: 1/1/10 at 10:05pm

That's impossible, everyone has a name.

"I have got to have some professional music!" - Big Edie

Will O'Donnell
#16re: re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?
Posted: 1/1/10 at 11:07pm

I am the one on the left, so yes I do wear AE boxers (although my friend on the right has the same profile picture and is floating around the boards with the username claude hooper, or something like that). I don't know why I have no username...it's weird, but I don't care.

And that's a bumer, I was hoping for one (just for Honestly Sincere and One Last Kiss).

Updated On: 1/1/10 at 11:07 PM

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#17re: re: re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?
Posted: 1/1/10 at 11:15pm

You have one now! Congrats.

I'd love another recording of the score but I don't know if this is the cast to do it. Maybe Jay (though I think they've stopped doing this) could do a complete recording with all the dance music and cut/added songs.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#18re: re: re: re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?
Posted: 1/2/10 at 12:44am

There is a movie soundtrack of BYE BYE BIRDIE:
http://www.amazon.com/Bye-Birdie-1963-Film-Soundtrack/dp/B0000AQRZS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1262410771&sr=8-3

Also the TV movie soundtrack (out-of-print):
http://www.amazon.com/Bye-Birdie-Soundtrack-Recording-Television/dp/B000003FZT/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1262410771&sr=8-9

The original London cast recording (also out-of-print):
http://www.amazon.com/Bye-Birdie-1961-London-Cast/dp/B00005O6KV/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1262410917&sr=1-8

and, best of all, the original 1960 Broadway cast - just recently re-released inn the Masterworks Broadway series:
http://www.amazon.com/Birdie-Original-1960-Broadway-Recording/dp/B001VRDRGA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1262410771&sr=8-5

There are no plans to make a cast album of the current revival, which is closing in 2 weeks.

For 2010 - please try to always use the word "soundtrack" in tandem with the word "movie." (I.e. "I just picked up the movie soundtrack of NINE...") IF the show you are talking about is NOT a movie, the CD is a "cast recording."

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Will O'Donnell
#19re: re: re: re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?
Posted: 1/2/10 at 11:02pm

Okay, I'm an all-out movie/tv kid, so I tend to not know much about Broadway jargon. The movie soundtrack is awesome though, Ann-Margret is the best Kim McAfee ever!!

Dollypop
#20re: re: re: re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?
Posted: 1/2/10 at 11:29pm

Just a reminder: "Cast albums" should never be confused with "soundtracks".

Thank you very much.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#21re: re: re: re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?
Posted: 1/2/10 at 11:37pm

And another reminder: stick with briefs, please.

Ta-Dah!

When I think about you, I touch myself.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#22re: re: re: re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?
Posted: 1/2/10 at 11:45pm

I would have liked to buy a revival recording and thought that the show would stay open until the Tony Awards. If it had won Best Revival (according to most reviews I have seen/read since the show previewed it, might not) they'd record the cast album wouldn't they? Every time Roundabout has won the Best Revival of a Musical award, they record a cast album. (Nine, Assassins, The Pajama Game, Cabaret)

Will O'Donnell
#23re: re: re: re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?
Posted: 1/2/10 at 11:49pm

Wow...lots of attention to my underwear. I don't know if I should feel flattered or just worried (and I refuse to wear briefs).

To the poster above me: I do think they would have recorded one if it had made it to the Tony Awards, following that pattern. It's sad that so many shows aren't making it.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#24re: re: re: re: Bye Bye Birdie Soundtrack?
Posted: 1/2/10 at 11:56pm

Bye Bye Birdie was not open-ended, I believe. It was always scheduled to close this month. I don't know if they extended. They were selling tickets through April right before they announced the closing. I am not sure. Roundabout's shows, I believe (not sure about them), are limited engagements. Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.