News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for hannahshule

hannahshule Profile Photo
Member Name: hannahshule
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: A&E's Breakfast With the Arts no more?  Jun 24 2007, 08:27:03 PM
Ovation TV is great! But it's too bad about BWTA, it was a nice, stimulating way to spend 2 hours on a Sunday morning.
re: Judy as Rose  Jun 22 2007, 02:12:31 PM
She would have been able to bring such an emotional power to that role!
re: 'The Pirates of Penzance' at LaGuardia Arts High School  Jun 3 2007, 03:23:51 PM
I agree, this is something you'll have to talk to your mom about. She can't make you be an actress, and it's commendable that you recgnize early on that it's not your calling.
re: Weird, Quirky Facts  Jun 3 2007, 02:39:30 PM
Here's an ironic one:

I like opera maaaany times more than I like Broadway (which wasn't the case when I joined), yet I still participate on all the boards.

re: Rude audience members.  Apr 22 2007, 05:53:11 PM
I didn't mean what I said in a rude way, nor did I deny the fact that it was really Ms. Lewis. But to my taste, it would have been just as effective (maybe more so) and more believable if she had just addressed the issue at hand, and not going into a slightly irrelevent account of some sort of random details. I don't know, the whole tone seemed kind of amateurish to me, not something a professioanl adult would say. For me, admitting that you aren't perfect and not always right is much more human
re: Rude audience members.  Apr 22 2007, 05:44:42 PM
I have serious doubts that that's really Ms. Lewis who's been posting here.. If I were her, I would at least capitalize my words apporpriately, not to mention, I wouldn't write on about my puppies or my weight. Despite how rude she may be, I'd like to think that she is at least a sane, clear thinking human being.

EDIT: and if it is really Magan Lewis, than I'm sorry if the above sounds rude. You have every right to post here and express your opinion! I just don't find it completely plau

re: The Met...ever been there? (A few questions)  Apr 1 2007, 10:34:31 AM
With intermissions, usually around 3-3.5 hours. for Traviata, it started at 8 and we got out around eleven. Keep in mind though that the first intermission alone in half an hour.
re: The Met...ever been there? (A few questions)  Mar 31 2007, 08:37:14 PM
"There are no bad seats save for the study desks. It's rarely miked (although they've started with some performers, and you'll notice it immediately)."

Really? I recently took a backstage tour (my 2nd) and the guide was adamant about the fact that they don't mike ANY singers, not the big ones anyway. I also haven't heard it any of the times I've been there. Can you think of a specific performance where they did that?

EDIT: If you're talking about matinees, that might be diff

re: The Met...ever been there? (A few questions)  Mar 31 2007, 11:03:19 AM
All good advice so far, when are you going?
Have a good time, although I warn you, the Met can be habit forming! Their website metoperafamily.org has all the info you would ever need if you decide to go back and see another opera.

re: shows that work with just a piano  Mar 31 2007, 09:47:28 AM
My school did Ruthless a few years ago with two pianos.
re: The Met...ever been there? (A few questions)  Mar 31 2007, 09:42:17 AM
The stage is so big and the sets (especially for Turandot) are neormous, so sometimes being farther away is a good thing.
I would dress nicely, I know some people wear jeans and all, but I think opera and ballet are more formal occasions. Remember when people used to dress nicely to see a broadway show? Well, you still can with opera!
i'm seeing Turandot in April, it's a wonderful Puccini opera! I'm interested to see how Andrea Gruber does.

re: Sibling rivalry Showtune or song?  Mar 18 2007, 07:42:14 PM
"Triplets" is from the 1950's movie musical "The Band Wagon" originally, although it may have been interploted into an actual broadway show later on.
re: Musicals in Which the Audience Dies  Mar 17 2007, 10:47:28 PM
And the time in Tosca with Raina Kabaivanska when the Cavaradossi was actually "shot" with one of the pistols in the execution scene. (Though they were only air shots, it was enough to draw blood and make Kabaivanska faint). I don't know if it was at the Met though.
re: Remembered 300 years from now?  Mar 17 2007, 06:01:08 PM
300 years? That's a bit long for anything. 100 years, maybe, but anything more than that I think might be a gross overexaggeration.
re: Kathy Griffin as ANNE OF GREEN GABLES??!!!  Mar 14 2007, 12:10:38 PM
Wait, so is it an adult playing a child?
Clips of Kenneth Branagh's adaptation  Mar 1 2007, 08:34:55 PM
"Plus - young audiences do not wish to sit through 3 hours of Mozart opera; they'd rather see a classic story told in modern mu=sic & modern words."

Actually, I do. I believe that opera should not be touched, and I would rather sit through the grand, classic retellings of these stories/scores than any new, modern adaptation. For me, the original is the best. I'm 17 by the way, so I think I qualify for "young".

EDIT: well said keen on kean! I too was in the first grade when I

re: Magic Flute - musical  Mar 1 2007, 06:06:02 AM
By Musicalize, do you mean put it into English? There is already some dialogue in the opera (or speilsing), and the Met's family version, a significantly shortened and English version seems to make it as much a musical as it can get.
re: 'Blonde' having more fun onstage--SF Chronicle Article  Jan 28 2007, 11:47:44 AM
That's a big chiuhuahua.
re: The Magic Flute- Famous aria  Jan 27 2007, 05:03:15 PM
I love Zerlina! I sang thoise arias this past smester with my teacher, they're fun

Die Zauberflote's music is indeed haunting, and I agree that Ach! Ich Fuhl's is beautiful as well, but Die Holle Rache is so much fun to listen to. Besides Mozart, what other composer wrote operas equally in several languages?

re: The Magic Flute- Famous aria  Jan 27 2007, 04:23:52 PM
Yes. A thrilling aria, I think Roberta Peters sounds especially good doing it.
It's shorter name is "Der Holle Rache" or just "The Queen of the Night Aria" (It's so famous, most people know what you're talking about!)

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You