pixeltracker

shows that work with just a piano

shows that work with just a piano

Beanmatt Profile Photo
Beanmatt
#1shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 1:01am

Was wondering what shows you all have seen done successfully with just a piano (opposed to a full orchestra). We recently did "Charlie Brown," chosen specifically because it's known to be done often with just a piano. Specifically, we were thinking of either "Little Shop" or "Urinetown," but are still looking. Has anyone seen/done either of those with just a piano? What are some others?

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#2re: shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 1:13am

I played 'Charlie Brown' in a production YAGMCB with ... just a piano as accompaniment. It was a VERY minimalistic production, we used black boxes for desks, the brick wall, etc., etc. It works VERY WELL, actually. LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS might leave a bit to be desired (from both the performers AND the spectators), but that's just my opinion. URiNETOWN -- Hmm. Toughie, toughie. Piano alone COULD work, but it wouldn't do the score all that much justice. How big would your cast(s) be for this future mounting anyway?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2re: shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 1:23am

I saw a regional production of GUYS AND DOLLS that was sort of set abstractly in a piano bar and they just had a guy on piano and it worked really well with their space and design.

caitlinette Profile Photo
caitlinette
#3re: shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 1:24am

Quilters.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#4re: shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 1:27am

These days, a single keyboard can run an entire orchestra.

But I am sure you can get people who play other instruments to volunteer to do a production for free. Check local churches and schools.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#5re: shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 1:54am

I was in a production of Urinetown with a piano, a keyboard and drums.

Some other shows:
The Musical of Musical...the musical!
Last 5 Years
Forum
How To Succeed
Songs For A New World
Closer Than Ever
I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change!
Ruthless
Reefer Madness, I guess
Tell Me On A Sunday

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

shesamarshmallow
#6re: shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 2:49am

I somehow doubt they'll ever release the rights to [title of show]...

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

Sleeth1 Profile Photo
Sleeth1
#7re: shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 5:02am

I've seen The Fantasticks about 5 times, and if I'm not mistaken they never used anything BUT a piano, right? God, I love that play.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#8re: shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 5:11am

The Most Happt Fella.

I don't know about Little Shop. I think you'd lose that '50s sound that a band brings to it.

....but the world goes 'round

Jon
#9re: shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 5:17am

Yikes! I shudder to think of QUILTERS with just a piano. The show actualy has NO piano part whatsoever. It is written for guitar/banjo, fiddle, hammered dulcimer and bass, and should have that authentic, rustic country sound.

Sleeth1 Profile Photo
Sleeth1
#10re: shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 5:17am

I can't see Little Shop working - but The Fantasticks would suck with anything MORE than a piano, right?

Sleeth1 Profile Photo
Sleeth1
#11re: shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 5:26am

Most ABSURD piano only musical - RENT. Right?

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#12re: shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 5:31am

LOL.

gymdudeva
#13re: shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 5:35am

I've seen The Fantasticks about 5 times, and if I'm not mistaken they never used anything BUT a piano, right? ?

I believe it was originally written for just piano and harp, and that is what they always used off-Broadway. I've seen it done with drums (and someting else, I forget what) and no harp. I think there is even a fuller-instrumentalized version. But this would be a very good candidate for piano only. (Although the harp underscoring is beautiful.
Updated On: 3/31/07 at 05:35 AM

Sleeth1 Profile Photo
Sleeth1
#14re: shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 5:36am

"Well I'd like to stay and chat, but you're a total bitch"

Yeah, but I'm famous for it!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#15re: shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 6:15am

That's just my signature. I hope you didn't take it personally.
Unless you are a bitch, in which case it's ON! re: shows that work with just a piano

Sleeth1 Profile Photo
Sleeth1
#16re: shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 6:20am

"That's just my signature. I hope you didn't take it personally".

Duh! I knew it was your signature. Either that or you say that to every reply you ever make! LOL

It's WAY too distracting to reply to you with that picture you've got up, though. How am I supposed to THINK??

Mattbrain
#17re: shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 6:26am

"That's just my signature. I hope you didn't take it personally.
Unless you are a bitch, in which case it's ON!"

That happened to me once. Some person on this board read my signature and thought I was making a threat.

By the way, I think a really scaled down production of Sweeney Todd would work with just a piano.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Sleeth1 Profile Photo
Sleeth1
#18re: shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 6:41am

"By the way, I think a really scaled down production of Sweeney Todd would work with just a piano".

Matt, you know what I really hate? Is it just me? I hate a "scaled back" production of ANYTHING! I hate all these "concerts" where people just stand on the stage (sometimes in costume, sometimes not) and just SING the music from a musical. It burned me so bad on Les Miz (a VHS that was released a long time ago) that I've never mustered up the encouragement to actually SEE the real thing (though I'm sure it's brilliant). Either DO the play or DON'T. Though not professional, mind you, my friends and I could put on a version of GREASE on the hood of my CAR... but I wouldn't expect any sell-outs. It's just DUMB... especially since these days you have to take out a f***ing MORTGAGE to see ANYTHING! It's the same SH=T in Dallas, too. They tell you "Oh!!!! WICKED is coming! Buy your tickets NOW!" But NOW translates into "Get your crummy BALCONY tickets in the last ROW, LAST 2 SEATS to the WALL on the LEFT". Bring your benoculars, for sure... or maybe a TELESCOPE would be preferable. Oh, my gosh! I better go - I'm getting bitter.

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#19re: shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 6:48am

Wasn't the SWEENEY revival pretty much a scaled down production?

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#20re: shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 6:48am

Way to add gas to the fire!

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#21re: shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 7:42am

Just about any revue will work with just a piano. THE FANTASTICKS was indeed written for piano and harp, but you can get by with just a piano. If you're feeling adventuresome, there are other things in the Jones/Schmidt canon that are pretty much piano only: BONES, CELEBRATION (a sadly neglected work, IMHO), ROADHOUSE, and of course I DO I DO. If you're willing to do a little research, there's a revue based on the cartoons of Jules Feiffer that's also in sore need of revisiting, particularly these days (somehow, those things he wrote about in the 50s and 60s are back all in their obsessively crazy wonder). I LOVE YOU YOU'RE PERFECT is a cute show but falls apart in the middle of the second act; still, it would work.

Insofar as scaled back works, if it's done intelligently and with concept, it can be done. SWEENEY pretty much hit the mark. There was a minimalist MY FAIR LADY in Chicago that was incredibly well done, and the small-scale revival of PACIFIC OVERTURES was a tiny gem. Like everything else, it depends on how you approach it.

Now, is it fair to someone who's spending a hundred-plus bucks on a ticket? IMHO, no. But that's another issue altogether.

http://docandraider.com

Jon
#22re: shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 8:47am

Fantasticks is origibnally piano and harp, but they added bass and drums for the original cast recording, and those parts are available, as well as the crappy full orchestration used for the international tour that added a chorus (stupid idea!)

I Do, I Do had a full orchestra on Broadway, but sounds wonderful on just piano. The 1996 Off-Broadway revival used two pianos.

just_me1981
#23re: shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 9:20am

Lucky Stiff works really well with just piano.
And I've seen Into The Woods done really successfuly with 2 pianos and percussion.
I also think Romance! Romance!, Closer Than Ever and Falsettos could work well with just one piano.
I think it all comes down to how accomplished the pianist is and how much experience they have in bring out all the orchestral colours on a piano.

And I also second Fantastics and I Do, I Do!!!

Perfectly Marvelous Profile Photo
Perfectly Marvelous
#24re: shows that work with just a piano
Posted: 3/31/07 at 9:23am

Most ABSURD piano only musical - RENT. Right?

Haha.

Well, it sort of works for tick, tick...BOOM but even in that show there was a pit band. Although, it could work, I suppose, with just a piano. I know that in "30/90" and "Why" the piano is the primary instrument used (unless, I'm forgetting some other songs...which I probably am).

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables