pixeltracker

"Pirates" at LaGuardia Arts HS-Now updated with audio clips of MEEEE

"Pirates" at LaGuardia Arts HS-Now updated with audio clips of MEEEE

bwaylvsong
#1"Pirates" at LaGuardia Arts HS-Now updated with audio clips of MEEEE
Posted: 5/26/07 at 8:32pm

If any of you saw it, what did you think? I was in the ensemble on Thursday and played Major-General Stanley on Friday.

Updated On: 7/6/07 at 08:32 PM

bwaylvsong
bwaylvsong
dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#3re: 'The Pirates of Penzance' at LaGuardia Arts High School
Posted: 5/28/07 at 9:58pm

I can't believe I missed it. I was planning on getting a group of people together but no one else went, so I ended up working. how did it go?

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

bwaylvsong
#4re: 'The Pirates of Penzance' at LaGuardia Arts High School
Posted: 5/30/07 at 5:07pm

Both performances went wonderfully, though I (of course) enjoyed Friday's more. Here is a clip I found from Thursday's performance. I'm the shortest cop.

clip Updated On: 5/30/07 at 05:07 PM

bwaylvsong
aspiringactress Profile Photo
aspiringactress
#6re: 'The Pirates of Penzance' at LaGuardia Arts High School
Posted: 5/31/07 at 7:21pm

I have a friend who went and really emjoyed it. Congratulations!

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck

theatreholic
#7re: 'The Pirates of Penzance' at LaGuardia Arts High School
Posted: 5/31/07 at 9:38pm

I'm starting 8th grade in September and auditioning for LaGuardia in December for the Drama Department. I really hope I get in, but if not, I'm hoping to go to Beacon. Are you in Drama or Vocal?

bwaylvsong
#8re: 'The Pirates of Penzance' at LaGuardia Arts High School
Posted: 5/31/07 at 11:15pm

Thanks, aspiringactress!

Theatreholic, I'm in Vocal, but I highly reccomend both the Vocal and Drama Departments. You should audition for both, as Vocal Majors have some acting opportunities, and it's not so hard to transfer within the school. I must say that my four years at LaGuardia have been the most fulfilling of my life, and I cannot imagine myself being happy anywhere else.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#9re: 'The Pirates of Penzance' at LaGuardia Arts High School
Posted: 6/1/07 at 1:24am

Were any of the Pirates shirtless?

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#10re: 'The Pirates of Penzance' at LaGuardia Arts High School
Posted: 6/1/07 at 1:50am

CPD, remember these are HIGH SCHOOL kids.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#11re: 'The Pirates of Penzance' at LaGuardia Arts High School
Posted: 6/1/07 at 1:59am

That's why I just said SHIRTLESS.

EdmundOG
#12re: 'The Pirates of Penzance' at LaGuardia Arts High School
Posted: 6/1/07 at 2:39pm

I'm a brother of a friend of Honor Morgan, and I really enjoyed the show. I saw your performance on Friday. Since you're a student and I'm a teacher, I'd be doing you a disservice if I didn't say the good and bad, so here it is...

Good:

*Your Frederic and Pirate King were particularly talented.

*Your performance as the Major-General brought out his befuddled side wonderfully.

*Costumes were good, except that a few pirates were wearing modern clothing, and nobody else was. But that's no big deal.

*The projection set the stage nicely, and the Victoria moment was hilarious.

The Bad:

- The director staged it very operatically, i.e. whenever someone had a solo, the chorus just stood there and watched them.

- There were projection issues. I couldn't tell if you were miked, and they were underamplifying, or if there were no mikes, but there should have been. My sister had a lot of trouble following the plot, due to the show being hard to hear. The Sergeant and Mabel suffered particularly.

- You had some enunciation issues in your big solo. It's a famously hard song, though, so don't beat yourself up. G&S is great stuff to practice enunciation on. I recommend the "To sit in solemn silence in a dull, dark dock" bit of The Mikado. Just be sure to hit the ends of words as strongly as the beginnings.

-Samuel being played by a woman I have no problem with. A skinny blonde girl with a high soprano voice and the worst fake beard ever, I do.

All in all, it was a fine show, and you guys did a great job with really challenging material.

bwaylvsong
#13re: 'The Pirates of Penzance' at LaGuardia Arts High School
Posted: 6/1/07 at 4:39pm

SPD, sorry, noone was shirtless.

EdmundOG, thank you very much for your comments. Actually, that was definitely not my best "I Am The Very Model", but it wasn't bad, and I was better everywhere else. There were supposedly floor mics behind the orchestra pit, but I don't think they worked. We always rehearsed without them, anyway. And the director intended it to be very operatic, so it's good that you noticed that. I'll make sure to tell Honor that her friend's brother enjoyed the show. Thanks again for your helpful comments!

theatreholic
#14re: 'The Pirates of Penzance' at LaGuardia Arts High School
Posted: 6/1/07 at 10:22pm

The only thing I don't like about LaGuardia is that there is no Musical Theatre major, which is why my mom mostly wants me to go to PPAS, but since I don't really want to be an actress when I'm older, I want to go to a school that can give me an education along with drama.

bwaylvsong
#15re: 'The Pirates of Penzance' at LaGuardia Arts High School
Posted: 6/1/07 at 10:37pm

PPAS is a great school, but you won't get a well-rounded education there. It's generally for kids who are ALREADY in the business, and want to focus SOLELY on their craft. LaGuardia also puts on a musical every year, though it is pretty difficult to get into. If you're a drama major, you will do a ton of scenes, including some from musicals, and be in a play your Senior year. If you're a vocal major, you can be in the opera your Junior and Senior year. I'll highly recommend LaGuardia again!

theatreholic
#16re: 'The Pirates of Penzance' at LaGuardia Arts High School
Posted: 6/2/07 at 11:45am

I am already in the business, and my parents would rather me solely focus on my acting, but I don't want to.

And basically, what mom says, goes.

bwaylvsong
#17re: 'The Pirates of Penzance' at LaGuardia Arts High School
Posted: 6/2/07 at 12:36pm

Well, your situation is extremely rare, because most parents (including my own) try to discourage their children from going into showbiz, as it is so difficult to get a job. If your mom is so sure that you'll make it that she's willing to risk having a starving daughter, then you should listen to her and go to PPAS. What would you rather do?

bwaylvsong
#18re: 'The Pirates of Penzance' at LaGuardia Arts High School
Posted: 6/3/07 at 12:19pm

Okay, I just read one of your other posts. If I were you, I would tell your mother you hate acting, and certainly don't want to make it a career. Also, don't even audition for LaGuardia or PPAS. If she makes you, just be horrible at the audition, and you won't get in.

hannahshule Profile Photo
hannahshule
#19re: 'The Pirates of Penzance' at LaGuardia Arts High School
Posted: 6/3/07 at 3:23pm

I agree, this is something you'll have to talk to your mom about. She can't make you be an actress, and it's commendable that you recgnize early on that it's not your calling.

~And let us try, before we die, to make some sense of life~

bwaylvsong
#20re: 'The Pirates of Penzance' at LaGuardia Arts High School
Posted: 7/6/07 at 10:08pm

I was able to get some audio clips up on YT. They both feature me as the Major-General. Please listen and comment!
I Am The very Model

bwaylvsong
supportivemom Profile Photo
supportivemom
#22re: 'The Pirates of Penzance' at LaGuardia Arts High School
Posted: 7/6/07 at 10:21pm

theatreholic- why don't you want to be an actress and why is your mom pushing you? What do you want to do? Also, you said you are already in the business. Are you making a lot of money and that's why you're being pushed or is it just your mom's dream? Have you already seen a jaded side of the business? My daughter is a rising 8th grader at a perfoming arts school here in North Florida. She doesn't get many opportunities here. Anyway, good luck. I hope you get what you want. I do know though that performing arts schools provide an incredible education!