News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Penna2

Member Name: Penna2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Who has had the most 1000 show runs on Broadway?  Apr 4 2024, 07:37:11 PM

The8re phan said: "Penna2 said: "I don't know about 1000 show runs, but I did a little research and for shows in general Rodgers wrote 6 alone, 15 with Hammerstein, and 21 with Hart."

and 1 with Sondheim, thou it didn't run anywhere near 1000 performances either, LOL!
"

I was just impressed with the sheer volume of his work when I looked into it - even shows that didn't meet the 1000 performance mark. Music just flowed through

Who has had the most 1000 show runs on Broadway?  Apr 4 2024, 07:17:58 PM

Jarethan said: "Penna2 said: "The first composers that came to mind were Rodgers and Hammerstein. Rodgers worked alone as well as with Lorenz Hart. Hammerstein worked with Jerome Kern. I would imagine lumping all those combined would easily top the chart. Also, I'm not sure how many shows he wrote and were produced but Cole Porter might be a contender."

Musicals didn’t run that long in Porter’s heyday. KISS Me Kate is it.

Who has had the most 1000 show runs on Broadway?  Apr 4 2024, 03:51:52 PM

The first composers that came to mind were Rodgers and Hammerstein. Rodgers worked alone as well as with Lorenz Hart. Hammerstein worked with Jerome Kern. I would imagine lumping all those combined would easily top the chart. Also, I'm not sure how many shows he wrote and were produced but Cole Porter might be a contender.

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy  Feb 28 2024, 01:30:36 AM

binau said: 
The production is thrilling, funny, shocking, moving, musically brilliant. It’s visually highly stunning - like an abstract piece of modern art.

Completely agree. Have a very good, full-length boot and was blown away. Never saw any other version of the show. Nicole was amazing - her voice is simply wonderful and so expressive.

I’ll leave you with this quote from Patti LuPone herself. For the first time wi

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy  Feb 27 2024, 03:17:30 PM

Deleted

A BEAUTIFUL NOISE to announce closing date soon  Feb 23 2024, 12:33:51 PM

ACL2006 said: "RWPrincess said: "Sad news for all involved but a respectable run for sure. It would be interesting to see if they could bring Will Swenson back to close this out since Sweeney hasn't snagged him yet,"

Why would they? Will wasn't a draw, the show itself is. Plus Will talked about how exhausting the role was for him.
"

Was thinking the same thing about Will...why would he. He talked about how hard it was on his voice

A BEAUTIFUL NOISE to announce closing date soon  Feb 22 2024, 08:01:11 PM

BETTY22 said: "I bet it does great business on the road.

Nothing wrong with giving the people what they want.

I thought it was awful but everyone around me seemed to be having a great time. Think I got more swept up with the crowd, than the show.
"

I agree. Didn't see it live but have a boot with Will. Couldn't watch it. Would rather listen to my Hot August Night CD.

A BEAUTIFUL NOISE to announce closing date soon  Feb 22 2024, 03:45:22 PM

GottaGetAGimmick420 said: "WldKingdomHM said: "Poor Amber…"

I think she’ll be fine. There are others that work on this show besides her…
"

Not to hear her tell it.

SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa  Feb 1 2024, 06:12:26 PM

TaffyDavenport said: "Penna2 said: "Menken Fan said: "Lot666 said: "In the original production of Sunset Boulevard, the final scene had Joe, dressed in a suit and carrying some personal effects, attempting to leave the house when Norman shot him. In the new Jamie Lloyd production, why is Joe in his underwear (or a swimsuit) when she kills him?"

My interpretation was that, when Joe decides to leave Norma for good, he starts stripping himself of the expensive clothes she has gotten him, and then gets shot. It was one thing I think I understood in this production, which I really, really disliked.
"

Thanks. My memory was dim - was a long time ago when I saw the film. Guess for the stage show, they wanted Joe in his shorts again.
In the film, the opening shot is of Joe floating face down in a swimming pool in a swim suit - could have been underwear. My take was the swimsuit was a throwback to that.
"

"

Broadway Tenor Baritone Overlap  Feb 1 2024, 05:57:02 PM

Ramin's is such a wonderful tenor voice - can only image how beautiful The Proposal will sound in Titanic - but I do know (based on his own words in his podcast The Hang) that he was actively worked to develop his lower notes and you can hear a difference now in the more recent Phantom compared to the 25th. 

SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa  Jan 24 2024, 10:24:23 PM

Lot666 said: "Penna2 said: "In the film, the opening shot is of Joe floating face down in a swimming pool in a swim suit - could have been underwear. My take was the swimsuit was a throwback to that."

So he's not attempting to leave the house when she kills him in this production?
"

The show opens with him getting out of a body bag in his underwear/swimsuit, probably underwear, since there is a scene with him changing clothes in Act 1

SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa  Jan 21 2024, 06:18:17 PM

Menken Fan said: "Lot666 said: "In the original production of Sunset Boulevard, the final scene had Joe, dressed in a suit and carrying some personal effects, attempting to leave the house when Norman shot him. In the new Jamie Lloyd production, why is Joe in his underwear (or a swimsuit) when she kills him?"

My interpretation was that, when Joe decides to leave Norma for good, he starts stripping himself of the expensive clothes she has gotten him, and

Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall  Jan 9 2024, 01:04:23 AM

Kad said: "It’s a bit of new age pop psychology, who cares? This is not a self-help book or a scientific journal. Saying it will cause or worsen OCD is a major leap that belies severe misunderstanding of the condition."

Actually, it is Buddhism, so not pop psychology. I haven't read the book and have no intention to do so, however, there is a concept called esho funi in Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism that means the oneness of self and environment. By changing you

Reasons People Don't Like Musicals  Dec 26 2023, 07:54:43 PM

MysteriousLady said: "I think Hogan has given the best answer. In the mid-60s popular music and Broadway music diverged. Most people have very narrow taste in music.

Another reason: around that same time you saw the rise of the singer/songwriter. To this day the expectation that a singer should be singing their own songs has only gotten stronger in the popular culture. How many times have you heard someone criticized ("she doesn't even write her own songs etc.&quo

Reasons People Don't Like Musicals  Dec 25 2023, 04:27:05 PM

Actually, I did mention Sondheim, who seemed to border the old school with the new school - Gypsy and West Side Story in collaboration, then on to Follies, etc. 

I do understand what you mean about the gatekeepers. Are there any new composers out there? I wonder. I admit I'm old and old school, but music used to bridge the age gap. I give you Mozart and Beethoven as examples! That's kind of a joke, but true. 

Why is Chicago still a success and Cababet - both da

Reasons People Don't Like Musicals  Dec 25 2023, 03:30:02 AM

HogansHero said: "The elephant in the room (and it is precisely what you hear repeatedly when the people about whom you are asking are surveyed) is that the music in very few if any musicals resonate for most people. It's also true that, as someone said above, the high number of garbage musicals - jukebox musicals, musicals exploiting popular movies and the like, etc. - doesn't help because it reinforces the notion that "there is nothing here for me." Unless and unt

Reasons People Don't Like Musicals  Dec 24 2023, 04:40:06 PM

I have loved musicals since I was a child. My first was Carousel, then Guys and Dolls, then Oklahoma. All films, not live theatre, but the stories and the music itself charmed me. My dream was to be a musical star. Unfortunately, while having a good voice, it wasn't a great voice, so I did plays. Even so, musical theater will always be my first love...I tend to find plays boring because of the lack of music! Music in and of itself draws people together in a way just words cannot. JMO.

Ignored High Notes in Musicals  Dec 4 2023, 09:27:46 PM

There is a video of Ramin Karimloo singing a number his high notes on YouTube from Les Mis, Phantom, Love Never Dies, Chess and Jesus Christ Superstar to name some of the shows he's done on Broadway and overseas. It's an interesting compilation. He seems to hit the notes so easily. Good luck with your career!

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy  Nov 17 2023, 10:58:47 PM

For anyone interested, there are some boots on You Tube - one a video of Nicole singing With One Look and Tom singing the title song. Others are audio only. I have to say, even the audio of As If We Never Said Good-bye only gave me chills and had me in tears - her performance is that strong.

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy  Oct 22 2023, 08:13:40 PM

Bill Snibson said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Nicole's "With One Look"

https://www.tiktok.com/@robbylerman/video/7288860504955850030
"

She sounds amazing. Kinda giving me Linda Eder vibes
"

Never knew much about her tbh, but watched MickeyJoTheater's review on YouTube and was so curious because he mentioned her sounding like a combination of Streisand and Eder (one of my favorites). Love her sound. The production sounds fascinating. The curtain call kind of says it all.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You