News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Penna2

Member Name: Penna2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Titanic at City Center
 Jun 13 2024, 01:43:04 AM

Delete

Titanic at City Center
 Jun 12 2024, 11:58:38 PM

Delete

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
 Jun 11 2024, 11:41:50 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "They are going to be lucky to get a guy on the level of David Schwimmer or David Hyde Pierce or Jason Alexander or Steve Guttenberg or Tony Shalhoub or Jon Cryer: someone who's either an overexposed semi-name in the theatre world, or is a B-C-lister who needs a comeback. Or they settle for a Reed Birney or Danny Burstein or Will Swenson type.

Not that he was an actual suggestion but, David Hyde Pierce is doing Pirates of Penzance starting in

Jun 11 2024, 08:39:01 PM

east side story said: "Mr. Wormwood said: "Yeah, I really feel like this will end up being Brian D'Arcy James or Danny Burstein."

Or Will Swenson.
"

Will was my thought, too. 

NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
 Jun 4 2024, 10:41:55 PM

TaffyDavenport said: ""The Proposal/The Night Was Alive"

https://www.facebook.com/BroadwayWorld/videos/775359804582611
"

Thanks. I just saw this clip on Playbill - that clip has "Ladies Maid" and the chorus singing "Titanic." Went over to hear this entire duet on FB from 10 years ago to really have a good cry. I hope I can hear Ramin sing the entire song at some point.

Phantom Revival - What Happened?
 Jun 4 2024, 01:57:13 AM

Too soon.

Janis Paige Has Passed Away
 Jun 4 2024, 01:56:13 AM

RIP - she was so pretty and funny. I loved her when I was a kid. 

Jun 4 2024, 01:52:30 AM

Novel casting idea for Herbie - Will Swenson. 

Also, was doing some research on Rose, Gypsy and June (full sisters, btw, not half-sisters as what seems to be the direction in this show). Found this on Wiki.

Lee rented a 10-room apartment on West End Avenue in Manhattan for Rose, who opened a boardinghouse for women there. On one occasion in the 1930s, Rose shot and killed a woman who was either a guest at the boardinghouse or a guest on the farm in Highland Mills in Orange County, New York, that Rose owned. A historical website cites varying reports of which place was the scene of the crime.[23] According to Gypsy's son Erik Lee Preminger, who is the author of several books, the murder victim was Mother Rose's female lover, who had allegedly made a pass at Gypsy. The violent incident was investigated and reportedly explained away as a suicide. Mother Rose was not prosecuted.[24] Mother Rose's biographer strongly rejects the possibility that this woman, Genevieve Augustine, was Rose's lover, and doubts Rose's complicity in her death in light of Augustine's previous suicide attempts.[25] Rose Thompson Hovick died in 1954 of colon cancer.

Now that would be a show!

BTW Erik Lee is still alive. Wonder what he thinks about this production.

Jun 4 2024, 01:47:17 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "She hasn't been directed in that video! It doesn't thrill me either, but she's going to have 7 weeks of rehearsal, plus 4 weeks of previews. It's not representative of what her performance on stage will be like.

It's like when people judged Patti's acting choices in GYPSYat Ravinia, which had a few days of rehearsal and was directed by Lonny Price.
"

Thanks for being honest. Everyone actually agrees wit

Jun 3 2024, 12:36:02 PM

TaffyDavenport said: "

Needs a lot of work both vocally and dramatically. Her voice doesn't work with this music and didn't get a sense of the character at all. 

"

Kit Connor, Rachel Zegler to star in Sam Gold-directed ROMEO + JULIET on Br
 May 25 2024, 09:45:01 PM

South Fl Marc said: "I really don't care to see Rachel Zegler in anything."

She'll probably argue about Juliet dying at the end because what young girl would die over a man.

NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
 May 25 2024, 06:03:00 PM

Thanks for this. The music from this show is simply amazing.

Who has had the most 1000 show runs on Broadway?
 Apr 4 2024, 07:37:11 PM

The8re phan said: "Penna2 said: "I don't know about 1000 show runs, but I did a little research and for shows in general Rodgers wrote 6 alone, 15 with Hammerstein, and 21 with Hart."

and 1 with Sondheim, thou it didn't run anywhere near 1000 performances either, LOL!
"

I was just impressed with the sheer volume of his work when I looked into it - even shows that didn't meet the 1000 performance mark. Music just flowed through

Apr 4 2024, 07:17:58 PM

Jarethan said: "Penna2 said: "The first composers that came to mind were Rodgers and Hammerstein. Rodgers worked alone as well as with Lorenz Hart. Hammerstein worked with Jerome Kern. I would imagine lumping all those combined would easily top the chart. Also, I'm not sure how many shows he wrote and were produced but Cole Porter might be a contender."

Musicals didn’t run that long in Porter’s heyday. KISS Me Kate is it.

Apr 4 2024, 03:51:52 PM

The first composers that came to mind were Rodgers and Hammerstein. Rodgers worked alone as well as with Lorenz Hart. Hammerstein worked with Jerome Kern. I would imagine lumping all those combined would easily top the chart. Also, I'm not sure how many shows he wrote and were produced but Cole Porter might be a contender.

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
 Feb 28 2024, 01:30:36 AM

binau said: 
The production is thrilling, funny, shocking, moving, musically brilliant. It’s visually highly stunning - like an abstract piece of modern art.

Completely agree. Have a very good, full-length boot and was blown away. Never saw any other version of the show. Nicole was amazing - her voice is simply wonderful and so expressive.

I’ll leave you with this quote from Patti LuPone herself. For the first time wi

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
 Feb 27 2024, 03:17:30 PM

Deleted

A BEAUTIFUL NOISE to announce closing date soon
 Feb 23 2024, 12:33:51 PM

ACL2006 said: "RWPrincess said: "Sad news for all involved but a respectable run for sure. It would be interesting to see if they could bring Will Swenson back to close this out since Sweeney hasn't snagged him yet,"

Why would they? Will wasn't a draw, the show itself is. Plus Will talked about how exhausting the role was for him.
"

Was thinking the same thing about Will...why would he. He talked about how hard it was on his voice

Feb 22 2024, 08:01:11 PM

BETTY22 said: "I bet it does great business on the road.

Nothing wrong with giving the people what they want.

I thought it was awful but everyone around me seemed to be having a great time. Think I got more swept up with the crowd, than the show.
"

I agree. Didn't see it live but have a boot with Will. Couldn't watch it. Would rather listen to my Hot August Night CD.

Feb 22 2024, 03:45:22 PM

GottaGetAGimmick420 said: "WldKingdomHM said: "Poor Amber…"

I think she’ll be fine. There are others that work on this show besides her…
"

Not to hear her tell it.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You