News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Janaenae

Member Name: Janaenae
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
 Feb 9 2024, 07:45:12 PM

Do you know something we don't? Everyone's been saying it won't happen. 

Jan 29 2024, 06:29:18 PM

Honestly the first time I started to actually care about this movie was seeing the creative team and the first leaked images of the sets. Regardless of whether the movie is good or not - it won't be for a lack of effort and talent. 

Jan 25 2024, 06:54:08 PM

This is such a genuinely weird debate. I don't know what the point really is. The marketing will definitely tell people who at this point have no reason to know anything, that it's a two-parter. It's 10 months away and they haven't released a teaser, so there's way to tell what the general audience is thinking. And so what if audiences don't show up for the 2nd movie? The 1st one will probably cover the costs of both films and if it's good, fans will still get to e

Jan 25 2024, 02:59:58 PM

Forgive me if I'm mistaken but I'm pretty sure people go to movies they feel a personal investment in. I don't think everyone is going in with the sole motivation of watching 1 musical number. People might care about hmm... the story? The characters? The friendship? The beautiful set pieces and costumes? 

I think it's weird to assume the only audience draw is Defying Gravity. I have my doubts about a two-parter sure, but it has nothing to do with the placement of a

Jan 24 2024, 09:09:43 PM

Jon Chu just posted about the Wicked movie, talking about getting bubbles and broomsticks ready and hinting at a crazy year ahead: 

https://twitter.com/jonmchu/status/1750315556610224392

He hints at something soon-ish in the comments... Hmmm... how soon is ish? Could it be support for the Super Bowl theory? Or maybe sometime March (Oscars?) or April. 

Jan 17 2024, 01:40:29 AM

I don't think it's necessarily a rumor so much as speculation, unless you've heard something from an actual source. The Wicked movie did just create and launch an official tiktok account, very exciting stuff. Most projects don't start up social media pages until they're getting ready to kickstart their promotional campaign. So people are theorizing that they might be drumming up hype for the big upcoming event of the season (aka Superbowl). But there's no guarantee, th

Jul 14 2023, 09:28:30 PM

Pretty big fan actually. It's not exactly Avenue Q. The music is pop, the jokes are all light-hearted, maybe there's some scary moments, but overall it's pretty PG. I mean nobody dies. It's the kind of event you would recommend to a family with tween girls. Honestly, I'd say it's messages and themes speak best to children between 8-13. I saw it at age ten and had no problems. 

Jul 14 2023, 06:30:49 PM

That does sound much more honest than just "it's perfectly good". Especially with director Jon Chu. I felt the same thing about In the Heights, stunning moments with a shaky structure holding it together. It does make me really worry about the end product. Going darker is a very big risk with such a fun, family-friendly, colorful show. I was hoping they'd take a couple concepts from the book and strongly rework them. think Part 1 might do reasonably well, but long term fans

The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
 Apr 12 2021, 07:54:19 PM

Is this screening supposed to be for professionals in the industry only, or for can just anyone really sign up? 

Jan 23 2020, 07:55:09 PM

I'm sure there are people who are upset at this, and I'm sure it'll only get stronger once the film gets closer to release. Honestly I can't say they are wrong to be angry or frustrated with the lack of rep for the kind of people who make up the bulk of the neighborhood and frequently get misrepresented or ignored in media. But these complaints aren't new, we've heard them all before about plenty of other things. Twitter was quite angry about Dr. Strange's whi

Dec 11 2019, 12:27:03 PM

Check it out! We have an official poster, and a trailer is apparently dropping tomorrow. Not to mention a teaser for now. 

Poster: https://www.instagram.com/p/B58Ig-DBzle/

Trailer: https://www.instagram.com/p/B58JNi5JE1_/

Hadestown: The Movie (an idea)
 Jul 3 2019, 09:03:58 PM

To the contrary of some, I think a Hadestown film is a grand idea! It lends itself to the film format I think better than many musicals. The kinds of environments that are described and the world would be an interesting visual field to explore, especially the background of a world that is both beautiful yet impoverished and drained. I think the aesthetic alone would be worth it. I'm personally thinking along the lines of Oh Brother Where Art Thou? Exploring and expanding upon the designs

Jun 27 2019, 01:59:17 AM

Wow that is great footage, including the other photos and videos provided. Daphne sounds great and the ladies look fab, my favorite costume design so far. The filming seems to be going by so fast, with Carnaval, Breathe, the opening, When You're Home, The Club, and several other scenes already having been (all or mostly) filmed. 

Jun 24 2019, 10:52:33 AM

Well it looks like they may be shooting Carnaval de Barrio hoy. Heard a little bit of Daphne's singing and I think it sounds pretty good, it's not like Andrea Burns, but she sings with personality. Can't wait to actually see her Daniela onscreen. 

Jun 16 2019, 09:15:19 AM
Indeed. Actually struggling with seeing what the big problem is here to be honest. I mean the guy has kind of been everywhere and I guess it's easy to get overexposed. But most of the fans genuinely love him and still enjoy seeing him wherever he's bound to show up. Most of the world seems pleased with the casting and excited to see the old Usnavi running around next to the talented, young actors.

Not to mention before he was the big Hamilton figurehead, he was just the In the Heights

Hamilton: Das Musical!
 Mar 1 2019, 01:55:38 PM

The British have a very self-deprecating sense of humor- they don't take themselves to seriously, unlike many Americans I suppose. But moreover I don't think it's fair to credit our brief shared history 200 years ago (which most British students don't even really study in any grand detail) with the show's success. It might have a small impact, but when looking at reviews and responses from audiences that's not what I get. It's the story, the way it's told, the

HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
 Feb 13 2019, 04:41:40 PM

Did they specify in the Broadway cast? Or just one of the Hamilton casts? 

HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
 Feb 8 2019, 06:04:57 PM

It is a bit strange they haven't announced it yet since he's leaving soon. But I'd put my money on Austin Scott- seeing as he just left the tour a little while ago and dropped some hints that he has some new, exciting engagement coming up soon. I mean it could be something else but the timing seems perfect. 

Hamilton-Convince me.
 Feb 1 2019, 08:01:11 PM

I don’t think were being rude- rather giving good advice. No one is forcing you to go through something you don’t like. Quite honestly I fail to see what your conflict is here: you don’t want to see the show, there’s plenty of other shows you could potentially see (so it isn’t your only option), and the folks at Hamilton certainly have no shortage of willing ticket buyers other than yourself. If you’ve seen enough of the show to decide against it, it&r

Spielberg's West Side Story
 Jan 16 2019, 04:19:14 PM

I don't see why she can't play both. She's a black-presenting woman living in America- she can quite easily relate to that experience in her portrayal of Donna Summer. She's actually Puerto-Rican and from a Spanish-speaking background- therefore she can relate her experiences in that manner. Ariana is not 'ethnically ambiguous'. There's no effort to hide or disguise who she is- it would only take a Google search. She is both Latina and black,  Afro-Latina

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You