News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for workmanarts

Member Name: workmanarts
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Personal life of a Broadway performer
 Feb 27 2010, 08:30:47 PM
Making it on Broadway is a great book...I've given it as a gift more times than I can count to young student/actor as a graduation gift or a gift after a performance.

That and "Letters to a Young Actor" by Robert Brustein should be required reading for anyone considering the theatre.

Tansley-Try again....my settings got all screwed up.

PM

Feb 27 2010, 08:04:10 PM
Very few educators, public or private....and lets focus on high school and junior college (obviously there are a few exceptions here) have NO CLUE I mean zero on what all goes into it. I have taught for 9+ years while working almost non-stop as a director/producer...it STUNS me more often than not what the "local drama teacher" knows...and how many people actually believe they understand professional regional theatre, or levels beyond that...

PM

Feb 27 2010, 06:38:06 PM
I echo and agree with what Brooke says, having worked with her she is always honest, and on point with her information and willing to share. I have never been on Broadway, never really dreamt it, but have a lot friends and colleagues who have and have moved onto other things.

Let me also add to her advice from my work with young, aspiring performers how important EDUCATION is and truly understanding the business and your own personal goals. Can you have money, fame and fortune? Sure..

re: MIRACLE WORKER already drawing protests
 Oct 29 2009, 05:34:09 PM
Lizzie Curry- Was meant in reference to cues Helen has to be able to "hear" during the show given by the actors. It would be near impossible to give visual cues to all of the dialogue she needs to hear and react to.

DeafWest incorporated a variety of visual cues to assist their hard of hearing actors in Big River and Pippin that can only be duplicated in specific shows...namely musicals.

re: MIRACLE WORKER already drawing protests
 Oct 29 2009, 02:09:12 PM
This is literally one of the dumbest things I've heard...it would be near impossible to do this show with a deaf Helen. Her physical work is huge in the production and something that, dare I say, couldn't be done by a hearing impaired artist.

I for one think its pretty inspired casting, will sit GREAT in the round and excited to see/here about the touch Kate puts on it. She could be one of the next great American Theatre Directors....

re: This Ordinary Thursday on itunes
 Apr 10 2007, 10:50:06 PM
annoying bump #1
This Ordinary Thursday on itunes
 Apr 10 2007, 09:14:17 PM
Excited for this release...any luck from anyone, or any idea when its going up!?
re: COMPANY IS ON ITUNES!!!
 Feb 19 2007, 12:38:45 AM
Raul's Being Alive is worth the money...just as good as in the theatre last week....absolutely mind blowing and numbing at the same time
re: Side Show Returns to NY in New Off-Bway Production
 Aug 15 2006, 01:22:47 PM
No it was a MWRA in Los Angeles, that was close to painful...very close.

And no one is ridiculing young Mekenian...but expressing a personal opinion, with enough proof to back up and support.....

Aug 14 2006, 02:54:33 PM
Oh yes, oh yes....if you'd have seen his Merrily We Roll Along out here.....you could believe it.......save the time......
 Aug 14 2006, 02:43:01 PM
Save the time and effort....Ive seen this director's work in LA before...its not good, to say the least.
re: Stokes Mitchell/Sunday 1st Disc on Itunes
 Jun 6 2006, 01:15:19 AM
Cant wait either...tick tock.
re: Stokes Mitchell/Sunday 1st Disc on Itunes
 Jun 6 2006, 01:01:02 AM
This is in regards to the question about sunday's 1st disc on Itunes in an email sent to me from Tommy Krasker (co founder of PS Classics)...

"Thank you for writing, and for the nice words about our label. I confess,
I didn't even know that the full SUNDAY IN THE PARK wasn't up until
another customer wrote last week, but Jason Matthews, the gentleman at our
distributor who is responsible for uploading to all the various music
services, had already spotted the glitch and

Stokes Mitchell on Itunes
 Jun 6 2006, 12:50:01 AM
When can we expect his self titled album on Itunes....any ideas out there?
re: Which Broadway Stars Do You Cook For?
 Jun 4 2006, 09:01:18 PM
It's getting a little old now....
re: How Do YOU Get Into Character?
 Jun 4 2006, 08:00:17 PM
A scotch on the rocks @7:00pm....a cigarrette at 7:30pm....gargle @ 7:45pm....ten deep breaths....and GO @ 8:00pm.
re: The Last Five Years - In Chronological Order?!?
 Jun 2 2006, 02:45:42 PM
Wait till JRB hears about this....not gonna be good.
re: Lippa's THE WILD PARTY Opening in Los Angeles!!!
 May 30 2006, 10:08:08 PM
I will be there as well, it really is one of the finest scores in the last 10 years....and drastically overlooked by many...

Should be a fun night.

May 30 2006, 07:33:48 PM
And evidently one of their parents has a large checkbook.
 May 29 2006, 10:23:44 PM
Wishing them the best...it'll be an uphil battle...alot goin on in LA this summer....hope this show breaks through...a powerful score....

If the Burrs is good, the show will be enjoyed by most critics. He's the pace setter.

Best of luck.....

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You