News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for tripelite

tripelite Profile Photo
Member Name: tripelite
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

WATER FOR ELEPHANTS Broadway Previews
 Mar 3 2024, 01:04:37 AM

Does anyone know why the preview was canceled Friday night? All they have said is "technical issues". It's not like there are major automated set pieces in the show, so I'm curious.

THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
 Mar 1 2024, 01:54:18 AM

I saw "The Notebook" Thursday evening. Never read the book nor saw the film, and I loved the show. It will touch anyone who can relate to an epic love story or where one member of a couple has to take care of another (which hit close to home for me). Having race-blind casting for people playing the same roles was a bit jarring at first, but then I quickly got used to it. I didn't feel intentional (although maybe it was) - it just felt like they cast the people who were

List of Shows in Southern California
 Nov 25 2017, 01:26:58 AM

Thanks for the heads-up about the Summer extension! I wasn't sure at first if Love Actually counted as a show, but having seen their Scorsese show, I agree that it does.

I appreciate all comments and suggestions - I want this to be as useful as possible for my fellow theatre lovers.

Nov 24 2017, 12:10:09 AM

Thanks for letting me know about the Joshua Henry concert! I added it to the list.

Nov 20 2017, 08:13:18 PM

I have expanded my Southern California theatre list to include more venues and more types of shows. You can now find it here:

http://theatreinsocal.com

It covers most of Southern California, with a focus on commercial venues that are 300+ seats. It also includes major theatre-related events on TV or in cinemas. Not perfect, but I have found it to be extremely helpful to track what's coming. You can also filter by region, date, genre, etc.  Enjoy!

Favorite Flops
 May 29 2017, 11:28:54 AM

For me, it's Title of Show.  I feel fortunate to have seen it, and there will never be another production that captures the unique qualities of that show.  The night I went, the audience was so enthusiastic you would have thought it was the biggest hit on Broadway.

Dear Evan Hansen Previews
 Nov 29 2016, 02:43:28 AM

I saw the show at Second Stage and loved it.  Can't wait to see it again.  One question: a plot point that bothered me was the fact that Evan kept discovering new emails, as if he couldn't do a simple search for all of them.  Doesn't this seem strange? (unless you work for the FBI, of course, as they keep finding new emails)  Did they resolve/change this in any way?

Great Comet Seating Thread
 Nov 29 2016, 02:38:11 AM

I sat front row, front mezzanine for Great Comet, just a couple of seats off the right center aisle, and it greatly enhanced my love of the show.  Perfect view of the stage, the staircases, what was happening in front of me, in the aisle, and behind me.  Completely immersive, and a fantastic theatre experience in every way.  It did not matter to me in the slightest that the story was thin (ironic, given the source material).  I simply had a great time - but it's not fo

"March of the Falsettos" Question
 Nov 29 2016, 02:32:12 AM

I remember telling one of Falsetto's producers in 1992 that the show would be perfect if they cut "March of the Falsettos" and was told in response that it was one of Bill Finn's favorite songs in the show (that allegation may or may not be true, but I remember my surprise at hearing it).  I feel better about the song hearing Finn's explanation, but even in the new production, it didn't work for me.

Wonderful Experiences Meeting Actors in Real Life
 Nov 29 2016, 02:25:50 AM

Speaking of... I saw Martin Guerre in Los Angeles in 2000, and the next day I saw Hugh Panaro at my gym (sans wig).  He was very gracious and when I told him how great he was, he sighed and said something like, "Thanks so much, but I'm thinking of giving up performing."  I was shocked.  "What?  You're fantastic!  The theatre needs performers like you." (of course, he was in Martin Guerre, which could make anyone want to give up performing  He was flattered, thanked me, and we went back to our respective workouts.  I take no credit for him continuing to perform all these years, but I'm glad he did!

Ride the cyclone MCC
 Nov 29 2016, 02:20:04 AM

I saw an early preview and really wanted to like this show.  I thought the cast was strong and I liked the set, but like some others here, the show didn't do anything for me.  Loose narrative, songs weren't memorable, I didn't find it funny, and I wasn't invested in the characters.  All that said, the audience seemed to enjoy it more than I did.  

I will flag two things that bothered me that I don't think were addressed elsewhere.

In & of Itself @ Geffen Playhouse LA
 Aug 17 2016, 03:00:46 AM

I've seen the show twice, and I may see it yet again before it closes.  I agree with the Shepherd - while short (just over an hour), a few incredible things happen during the course of the show.  I also drove across LA immediately after the show to get a memento (those who have seen the show will know what I'm talking about).  There are various discounts available, and there are occasionally rush seats at the box office.  Call them for more info and availability.&n

Jul 21 2016, 02:12:12 AM

Good catch!  I added October Sky and the rest of the Old Globe 2016-17 schedule to the list.

I also removed Darren Criss from San Diego for Hedwig and added Lena Hall.

Thank you, kristinj1 and wally!

By the way, does anyone know of a good LA or SoCal online theatre forum (even though a lot of Californians like me obviously visit BWW)?

Jul 20 2016, 10:59:15 PM

I have been making regular updates to the list of upcoming shows in Southern California - including newly-announced seasons, concerts by Broadway performers, the LA Opera, LA Theatre Works, National Theatre Live screenings, and more.  Let me know if you have any additions or comments!

This content is frequently updated, but the link stays the same.

List of upcoming shows in Southern California: https://goo.gl/lEk5lv

Feel free to share the link with friends or family who live in Southern California and love theatre!

Jun 3 2016, 04:41:44 PM

I'm pleased to hear that people find the list useful!  I just noticed that while the link in my post works, if you cut and pasted the URL from the message, it was missing one letter and sent you elsewhere.  I have fixed it.  I have also added the 2016-17 Kirk Douglas season.

List of Upcoming Shows in Southern California
 Jun 2 2016, 09:09:36 PM

As a theatre fan living in Los Angeles, I find it difficult to keep track of all the shows coming here, especially since many are in Orange County, La Jolla, San Diego, etc.  As such, I created (and try to maintain) a spreadsheet of all the announced shows within reasonable driving distance that either pique my interest or I thought would interest most of my theatre-going friends.  So many people have asked me for a copy of this list that I thought some people on this forum might like it.

A few notes:
1.     I included every show I know of coming to medium-to-large theatres in Southern California. 
2.     Including every single play or musical on this list would be madness. 
3.     For the most part, I did not include 99 seat theatres, although I know there are some extraordinary theatre companies performing in these small spaces.  If I hear of something exceptional in a small theatre, I try to add it.
4.     If you have any suggestions or corrections, please send them to me, although I can’t guarantee that I’ll add everything. Shows and dates are always subject to change.
5.     I know that some of the shows on this list will be terrible.  I just like to keep track of what's coming.
6.     Hopefully people find this useful, and if they do, I’ll strive to maintain it.  If not, I’ll take it down.

Maybe we should have a BWW meet-up at one of these.

List of shows in Southern California: https://goo.gl/lEk5lv

Happy Theatregoing!

James Corden
 May 20 2016, 02:48:57 AM

Forgive me if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but the National Theatre Live is doing an encore screening of the UK stage production of "One Man, Two Guvnors" starring James Corden.  It will be in cinemas nationwide on June 21, and tickets go on sale today (May 20).  This has never aired on TV and has not been released on video, so it's a great opportunity to see this show.

Stage Kiss - Geffen
 Apr 25 2016, 01:33:11 AM

I was excited to see this play, as I like both Sarah Ruhl and Glenne Headly, but I was truly disappointed.  As mentioned above, it's an attempted mix of Noises Off and Kiss Me Kate, and it's missing the charm and humor of both.  Half of the play has the actors acting out bad plays, which could be used for comic effect, but in Stage Kiss, it quickly becomes tiresome.  The whole story is somewhat preposterous, and while it garnered a few laughs, I felt that the show fell

Marriage proposal during or after a Broadway show
 Apr 11 2016, 10:13:04 PM

This thread reminds me of my favorite Broadway-style marriage proposal.  It was at the end of an ASCAP concert in LA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwHQXpwuC28

SPOILER Waitress SPOILER
 Apr 11 2016, 10:04:45 PM

I only saw it in Boston, but one of the biggest problems I had with the show was that when Jenna finally tells Earl she's leaving him, he's gone.  Anyone who has dealt with a narcissistic control freak like that knows that he would NEVER allow that.  He would terrorize her in an effort to get her to stay, even if he doesn't love her, because it's all about him.  When that happened in the show, that was the final piece to my thinking that the male characters

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You