News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for smartpenguin78

smartpenguin78 Profile Photo
Member Name: smartpenguin78
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: http://sunsetand42.blogspot.com/
Blog Address: http://smartpenguin78.blogspot.com/
Profile: I am low priest of the "smarts and snarks," lapdog of Margo, political thread impresario and unabashed flirter extraordinaire.

I am also co-founder of the P's, who crack wise and quip with reckless abandon.

I am a friend of no show, although I am quite fond of many... as long as they merit my consideration. (This tends to be accomplished by Sondheim.) ;-)

If you are one of favorites, or least favorites, I am sure you know already. (Or shall soon enough.)

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread  Nov 1 2022, 05:46:43 PM

I was also there last night. 
It needs some tweaking, but was better than I expected. 
Definitely has the potential for a couple songs to be really popular but I think the jury is still out on the show itself.

Oh no, have I returned only to become what I hate most... the old version of me?

Hi folks, how ya been?

Why Does Michael Riedel hate Hamilton?  Oct 21 2015, 05:23:52 PM

Yep, I've been basically out of the loop on Broadway stuff for several years. I heard great word of mouth on this show and then saw it and it more than lived up to it for me. I'm now listening to the cast album many times over and going back to the show- so they word of mouth worked on me at least.

And I have watched as each of my friends, Broadway fan or not, has been exposed to the show for the first time and, especially the younger or more political ones, have become obsessed

TIME Blogger attacks Audra for Tony Speech  Jun 10 2014, 02:14:19 PM
Person A is accomplished and distinguished.
Person B uses Person A to make a relatively unrelated point while still disparaging Person A.
Person C is up in arms and posts about it.
Persons D-K are up in arms about Person C.
Persons L-J are up in arms about Persons D-K being up in arms.
Person Z fell asleep.

Person A continues to be accomplished and distinguished.
Repeat onwards forever.

I'm glad to see BroadwayWorld (and the world in general) has not cha

Les Mis Voted Greatest Musical, Wicked 2nd, Phantom 3rd  Aug 27 2013, 01:12:46 PM
Jemm Three obviously included rigorous and objective systems in setting up the list, weighted for various factors, and established the complicated and nuanced technology to prevent "bunch voting" or "stuffing the ballot box."

This list shall now be the only list ever of this kind and all discussion must be ended.

Of course, it also might be a random list of some fans' opinions.

One can never be sure of these things.

to all the new posters here ...  Aug 26 2013, 03:50:59 PM
Yes, sometimes after we fight all night we will come to be incredibly close and respect each other.

Yes, sometimes after we fight all night we will come know that you are a blithering idiot and hate you forever.

Yes, someone will be on your side no matter how stupid your opinions happen to be.

Yes, those posters are the worst.

Performances That Should Have Won A Tony  Aug 2 2013, 04:06:20 PM
I should have won the Tony for playing the cat in Cat on A Hot Tin Roof, but I was never even cast. The injustice is beyond belief.
What is your own personal  Aug 1 2013, 11:26:42 AM
After Eight, what about then saying what it is about that particular era that you find so appealing?
Engage, entertain, enlighten... instead of harping on the use or misuse of the terminology.

Though for me, my "own personal Golden Age" as asked here, is what is most grand and golden about the theater- that I have seen live, for me it is necessary component.

So it seems your answer to the "own personal Golden Age" query is the officially sanctioned "Golden Age of Broadway

What is your own personal  Jul 31 2013, 05:51:13 PM
I tried to "like" PalJoey's comment... man I have been away from BWW and on Facebook far too much.

Personally, I loved the 2005 and 2006 seasons- not that they were comparable to the all time greats- but they were the first full season I was living in the city.
Spelling Bee was good little show. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with Norbert and Litgow was possibly still amoung my favorite nights out- and with the empty lotto a great way to spend a cheap evening over and over. Light in the Pi

Denis O'Hare to Play The Baker in Public Theater's INTO THE WOODS!  Jun 1 2012, 01:21:42 PM
Ridiculous fights over ages and casting notices?
Why have I been away?

It will all come down to the care of the production and the talent involved.
I have seen O'Hare play unexpected roles fantastically at times, and sort of terribly at others. I'm just excited to see the show.

Les Mis First Trailer  Jun 1 2012, 01:15:40 PM
I am shocked at how much I love this trailer... I suddenly have high hopes... and that is always a bad thing.
CAST Into the Woods Movie  Jan 13 2012, 03:45:14 PM
Yes MB, and the likelihood that the producers are having considerable disagreement on those questions, and are likely to push the artistic team in different directions are reasons I am a bit tepid in my enthusiasm for this project. And reasons I still believe it is far from a done deal to get made at all.
CAST Into the Woods Movie  Jan 13 2012, 03:25:46 PM
It is entirely possible that they might do just that.

Straw-men not withstanding, there are some legitimate reasons to cast an actual teenager and pre-teen in the roles of Jack and Red, as put forth quite astutely by Best12 and Artscallion.

As far as having the show not be "lily-white" I think there are some interesting potential casting choices out there, but I am not sure I can get behind Beyonce... though she has been fine in things I have seen.

CAST Into the Woods Movie  Jan 13 2012, 02:25:03 PM
I always saw it that way, the Witch has traded power for youth and beauty, but I thought it had more to do with the perpetuity of it- that she would stay young and beautiful- than that she was extraordinarily either.

I agree that it would be better to cast a young person as Little Red, the whole stage vs screen distinction means that the age of former stage performers of the role has little importance, they will need to get a demographic (if they can) and I think actually having a teen/

CAST Into the Woods Movie  Jan 12 2012, 03:57:00 PM
I have absolutely no idea what you are saying random person...

I just think they are unlikely to think "who can sing this?" before they think "who can sell this?" they will try to get the best singers for each role, but only after they get an idea of who they want to cast, because that is very much the direction that big budget movies do it.
Any technical discussion of key change and when and why that is done is entirely lost on me, I leave it to you with more music knowledge to de

CAST Into the Woods Movie  Jan 12 2012, 03:30:54 PM
The show (removing any exposed genitalia, which I hadn't actually noticed seeing the show in the past anyway) is entirely PG.
The "Dark themes" are dark on a relative scale and easily fit under the umbrella of what Disney could pull off with minimal push back these days. I'm not sure if I believe they will be able to pull it off, but I think they easily could.
Though I am not yet convinced this is actually happening, these early announcements are often premature. I'll think more when the

New Poll: Which SMASH Character Do You Think Deserves to Play Marilyn?  Jan 12 2012, 03:19:22 PM
What is wrong with you people? Obviously the answer is A!
All the way A we used to say.

We are voting on which vodka goes best in my stinger right?

Obviously I must be drunk because some people seem to be taking this seriously...

Darren Criss in How To Succeed  Nov 23 2011, 02:27:48 PM
I was willing to pay good money to see Criss in the BLUE BOW TIE.
I cannot believe the audacity of you so called "theatre-fanatics" who stand for anything less than costume consistency.
Unbelievable.

Patti LuPone, Stephen Colbert, Anika Noni Rose & Martha Plimpton Join Neil Patrick Harris in COMPANY  Feb 8 2011, 08:10:32 PM
Great cast. I flipped when I saw the announcement today, I had no idea NPH was attached already. I seriously cannot wait to see this!

I bought my ticket for the thrid tier side near the middle. I figured it will be a bit partial but have better overall lines than other spots at the same price. (I hope.)

Bernadette Peters to star in Kennedy Centers Follies  Aug 28 2010, 11:26:03 PM
I am going to have to go to DC to see this. I'm very excited for another Follies extravaganza. Bernadette and Danny Burstein seem fantastic to me. I had no idea about Cattrall's credentials, but taking that into account she should be a fantastic Phyllis, which is good because she is my favorite character.
ENRON to close 5/9  May 4 2010, 07:18:43 PM
This show really suffered from failing the "tourist test" if nothing else. (And I have not read any reviews or seen any other info on the actual production before today.)

Just hearing the title and description of this show people gave the "Why on earth would I want to see a show about that?" reaction. And, being honest, if Norbert and Marin were not in it, and I didn't desire to see everything, I would have never wanted to see it either. West End schadenfreude about American failures so

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You