News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for GilmoreGirlO2

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
Member Name: GilmoreGirlO2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Article: OPERATION MINCEMEAT... plots its course to New York  May 8 2024, 04:42:08 PM

I saw "Operation Mincemeat" last summer and found it to be one of the most perfect (a word I don't use lightly) musicals I've ever seen. I had absolutely no trouble connecting/understanding (or whatever being "too British" means).

I think this show will find its audience here and could have a good run. It's certainly one I would see multiple times if it ran here and would be my first recommendation to family/friends.

Lempicka false advertising  Apr 21 2024, 05:52:15 PM

For me, the thing that I find most frustrating about this ad is not the cherry-picking of quotes, but the fact that the Brantley quote is from a production where the show was SIGNIFICANTLY different. To me, it’s beyond dishonest to attribute the Brantley review to what the current production is, because it really feels like a significantly different show. Not that the Williamstown production was perfect, but I fully believe that if that version of the show was the one currently playing

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 16 2024, 09:59:11 PM

This social post doesn’t feel clever to me at all, particularly because Brantley was describing an entirely different production that truly felt like a very, very different show than what is currently on Broadway. If they wanted to use this kind of marketing, at least take (real) quotes that are describing the same production.

To me, all this tells me is that they had a better show back in 2018 and made it worse (which, to me, is 100% true).

LEMPICKA - dramaturgical advice  Mar 28 2024, 09:41:23 AM

Great thoughts and I will especially echo: “Go back to basics to focus the show on the emotional core of what could be there.”

I consider the Williamstown production one of my favorite musicals I’ve ever seen. The current Broadway iteration feels like an empty shell of its former self. It pains me to know what this show could have been (and was) - it truly felt special and it's so disappointing that Broadway audiences aren't getting to experience the things I

LEMPICKA Previews  Mar 20 2024, 02:56:21 PM

For me, "Burn It Up" was the moment when we see Tamara's path move onto the trajectory she is on for the rest of the show. It's her realization moment when we see her drive and will to survive merge with her passion for painting. We see her make sacrifices for her (and her husband's) survival before this - "Burn It Up" felt like such a revelatory moment for her that she can fulfill a joyful passion while still ensuring her survival. For me, it felt lik

LEMPICKA Previews  Mar 20 2024, 11:53:21 AM

If I recall correctly, just a pin and the windowcard were the only other merch available not listed on the website.

All So Ozmapolitan, I agree with every thing you said. The "mega-musical melodrama and high stakes" was exactly what I felt seeing the Williamstown production, but not at all last night.

LEMPICKA Previews  Mar 20 2024, 11:38:23 AM

As a huge fan of the show when I saw it at Williamstown, I can’t help but feel like the (significant!) changes they have made, unfortunately, have done the show a disservice. It feels like they went in the wrong direction – making the characters broader and not as nuanced, making things less clear (both plot-wise and motivations/feelings of characters), and seeming to be concerned with adding in more comedic moments.

Many beautiful songs that felt very necessary for the sto

WATER FOR ELEPHANTS Broadway Previews  Mar 13 2024, 09:34:42 AM

I saw this a couple of weeks ago and really, really enjoyed it. I’m honestly surprised by so many negative reviews on here. Is it a perfect show? No – but, the things I liked more than outweighed the things I didn’t and I was entertained the whole time.

There are some truly beautiful and moving moments in the show (“Easy,” being a standout for me) and, overall, I really enjoyed the score. I thought the puppets were great. I loved getting to just see little

Jonah @ Roundabout  Jan 29 2024, 04:57:13 PM

I saw this Saturday afternoon – luckily didn’t notice any inappropriate audience behavior and didn’t have temperature issues (up in the mezz). I also didn’t notice anyone walk out and, to be honest, am a little confused what part of this show is making people leave?

I enjoyed this as a whole piece, but didn’t necessarily enjoy the full experience of watching it. I was moved at the end, but had many moments throughout where I had a hard time feeling engaged

JRB's THE CONNECTOR at MCC will star Scott Bakula, Jessica Molaskey, Ben Levi Ross, & more  Jan 29 2024, 04:40:35 PM

I saw this on Friday and really, really loved it. It was a bit of a slow burn for me – although I enjoyed the whole thing, I wasn’t full IN it until maybe half way through. But once I was in it, I was all in.

There’s certainly room for improvement, but as a whole I found the story very interesting and thought the score was gorgeous (a song or two could be cut, but even those I didn’t find necessary I enjoyed).

I also have to mention Ben Levi Ross –

An Oversaturated Spring? Data and opinions...  Jan 25 2024, 12:35:52 PM

Interesting article - I would also add that so many shows opening at once do make audiences have to pick and choose more, depending on the amount of spending money they have. With a whole bunch of shows opening at one time, even if I'd like to go and see the majority of them, with ticket prices as they are, it's impossible for me to financially attend all that I wish to in such a close time frame to each other.

If openings were more staggered throughout the year, my budget woul

DIANA: THE MUSICAL Closing on December 19th  Dec 6 2023, 04:48:30 PM

Would love to hear how the new 2 Dianas in the concert worked!

New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year  Dec 1 2023, 06:27:00 PM

I have 4 tickets to this Sunday evening’s performance (12/3 at 7pm) that me and my party are no longer able to make. Selling them for $150 per ticket, seats are front row center (Row A, seats 4 - 7). DM me if interested!

SPAIN at 2ndStage  Nov 13 2023, 09:54:26 AM

I saw this Saturday night. I found it to be extremely boring. I adore Marin Ireland and all of the performers were great, but the script itself just doesn't go anywhere. Burnap's opening monologue was funny and intriguing (and I loved the noir-inspired style of the piece), but after that nothing much happened.

I am a fan of the cast and Silverman, so this was quite a disappointment for me. Despite only being 90 minutes, this just crawled for me.

THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA: Michael John LaChiusa musical based on the life of Graciela Daniele will play LCT's Newhouse in Fall 2023 w/ Priscilla Lopez, Mary Testa, Andréa Burns, Eden Espinosa  Nov 6 2023, 11:48:23 AM

I saw it this weekend, as well, and thought it was a lovely piece and surprisingly moving. I was in full tears by the end. I'd say it's much less about Graciela and more the women who raised her. Not much "happens," but I think that was the joy of this piece - to just get to know these women who raised Graciela and to recognize and celebrate the everyday life lessons that those in our lives teach us.

I would definitely recommend this.

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway  Sep 16 2023, 12:20:04 AM

No one. Everyone was automatically refunded whether or not they stayed.

"

I hope the above is not the case. I had tickets for tonight, as well, and we were told we could either stay, get a refund, or get post-dated tickets for another day. We opted to get our tickets switched to another day and were given a card with the customer service number to call (which was closed tonight, so I will call tomorrow). I had gotten my tickets today at a cheaper price (the onl

Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?  Sep 14 2023, 05:09:33 PM

I understand the struggle. After much thought, I have still decided to read/watch/attend anything HP that I want to.

In this particular case, “Harry Potter” – and all it represents – feels much bigger than its creator. While I don’t support or agree with Rowling, I don’t see her closed mind represented in her art. In fact, her art often promotes love, acceptance, understanding, etc. Harry Potter has (and continues to) make children excited about books (and perhaps the play is making children excited about theatre) and I think the good that has come out of the Harry Potter stories outweighs the bigotry of one woman.

And, in terms of supporting her financially, she is at a level that she is so rich it wouldn’t matter if she didn’t make one more cent in her life. However, the entire Harry Potter brand is giving jobs to (at least) thousands of people between “Cursed Child,” the theme parks, the movies, the stores, etc. 

I also found Daniel Radcliffe’s statement about JK Rowling/Harry Potter very insightful: https://www.thetrevorproject.org/blog/daniel-radcliffe-responds-to-j-k-rowlings-tweets-on-gender-identity/

I draw my line when the art itself is promoting some form of hate/negativity, when consuming some sort of art/product has a significant impact on the person or business’ success, or when it’s something like MJ the Musical – where the show is celebrating the person-in-question.

LEMPICKA Pre-Broadway at LaJolla - News & Discussion Thread  Sep 11 2023, 04:44:38 PM

I'm thrilled this is coming to Broadway. I saw both the workshop and the full production at Williamstown and thought it was excellent. I found the score to be gorgeous and interesting all the way through.

Definitely the most excited I've been about a new musical in quite some time.

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/9/23  Jul 11 2023, 03:14:21 PM

Kad said: "Six’s extremely low operating costs mean it can sustain a period of lower grosses, probably for a long while."

I'm happy to hear that! Do we know (or have a guess) at what their weekly operating costs are?

London- West End Help/Recommendations  Jul 2 2023, 07:30:17 PM

Just wanted to add that I was in London in mid-June and “Operation Mincemeat” was my favorite thing I saw. So creative, funny, interesting - and, surprisingly, very touching at moments. I haven’t been able to stop listening to the cast recording. Can’t recommend it enough.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You