News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Zion24

Member Name: Zion24
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

WAITRESS closed effective immediately.  Dec 23 2021, 07:58:04 PM

really enjoyed this a few weeks ago. sad news for the cast, especially Renee. Ouch.

that said, these are purely business decisions. im surprised it took them this long-- if the show is shuttered, you're losing money that a week of January performances won't make up. (said like debra monk): its a business and many of these production budgets are vulnerable.

and unlike mean girls/frozen, i am confident this will be revived and has a nice spot in the canon. happy trails.

Charlotte St. Martin needs to go  Dec 23 2021, 01:11:09 PM

unclevictor said: "St. Martin has been at the job for 15 years. Give her a break. She misspoke the other day and apologized. Calm down. This whole situation is new to EVERYONE, including her. U think she’s acting alone?"

This. She said something stupid. Gave understudies a moment to remind us they are awesome (i am eager to see u/s all the time, usually the only reason I revisit a show). But this idea that she now needs to continue to repent, or be replaced....

JAGGED LITTLE PILL has closed, as of 12/17/21  Dec 20 2021, 08:00:44 PM

this show was a dumpster fire, but its still sad/shocking to see it disappear like this. The incredibly talented cast does not deserve this.

i do find the producers' statement a little nauseating though. obviously, the Covid situation is not ideal, but it isnt ideal for various other shows too. Moulin Rouge, Hamilton, TKAM are not closing because they are selling. Their statement makes it seem like they are closing their doors to protect their cast (implying other producers arent..

COVID performance cancellations  Dec 19 2021, 06:39:19 PM

soulmistin said: "FANtomFollies said: "JDonaghy4 said: "SantaCon is definitely not majority tourists, there are Santacons all over the country and the NYC one is chock full of New York area born and bred d-bags"

As a New Yorker myself, I was always under the impression that the vast majority of the SantaCon folks came from New Jersey, Long Island or even Westchester county. If that's the case, that would make them tourists.
"
<

COVID performance cancellations  Dec 19 2021, 04:50:07 PM

SantaCon is horribly annoying, laden with d-bags, dont get me wrong but (i) it is most definitely not majority tourists, there are Santacons all over the country and the NYC one is chock full of New York area born and bred d-bags, and (ii) it is hard to see how Santacon could be accused of being a superspreader given most of it is taking place outdoors or in specific, d-bag filled bars.

Omnicron is spreading on transit, in supermarkets, in offices, because its so transmissable and its

FLYING OVER SUNSET Reviews  Dec 14 2021, 02:39:40 PM

its beautifully rendered, the sets are gorgeous and well done. nice use of the gorgeous huge LCT stage. 

Company Previews Thread  Dec 14 2021, 01:43:39 PM

CATSNYrevival said: "It’s supposed to be cramped."

right but i think the point being made above is that while that may work on the stage (the cramped space in the middle of the stage), on TV it makes no sense. I agree.

thought they looked fun/good though. Really digging Anisha's Joanne look, too.

FLYING OVER SUNSET Reviews  Dec 14 2021, 11:11:30 AM

fwiw, Helen Shaw *nails it* in NY Mag. Couldn't have said it better.

Flying Over Sunset or Kimberly Akimbo?  Dec 14 2021, 11:03:16 AM

Dan6 said: "I have Flying Over Sunset tix for my NY trip next month and - despite some of the preview postings on this board - have really been looking forward to it since initially getting tickets for March 2020. I can certainly appreciate aspects of a show without loving the entire thing. But after reading the mixed-to-poor opening reviews, I’m wondering if there’s enough there to warrant filling one of my limited slots, or if I should refund the tickets and see Kimberl

FLYING OVER SUNSET Reviews  Dec 14 2021, 11:00:40 AM

ArtMan said: "JDonaghy4 said: "ArtMan said: "These reviews are far worse than I thought they would be. It is good that young Atticus is getting quite alot of favorable mention. I thought he was a standout when I saw it."

these reviews seem to track the response on here. they are spot on. this show was just plain boring and frustratingly long.
"

Don't agree. There were many who responded on here that really enjoyed the sho

FLYING OVER SUNSET Reviews  Dec 13 2021, 11:37:17 PM

ArtMan said: "These reviews are far worse than I thought they would be. It is good that young Atticus is getting quite alot of favorable mention. I thought he was a standout when I saw it."

these reviews seem to track the response on here. they are spot on. this show was just plain boring and frustratingly long.

Waitress Casting  Dec 12 2021, 10:31:15 PM

revisited this show tonight. Shoshana Bean's performance remains the hallmark for me here, but the show is in good shape and I am happy to have been cajoled into seeing this again. 

i dont know if the Barrymore is smaller than the Brooks Atkinson, but this show fits so much better here- it feels snugger and more intimate. The whole cast is on their game, but a shoutout to Ashley Blanchet who was phenomenal, and to understudy Olivia Lucy Phillip who I thought really nailed Beck

Company Previews Thread  Dec 12 2021, 12:16:22 PM

binau said: "I agree that I don’t think she struggled when I saw her but does she vary night to night? Ie are we actually all comparing the same performance? Hopefully the cast recording if it happens will help settle."

but that isnt the "debate." When I saw Kimberly Akimbo, Bonnie Milligan was hoarse and some of her big belts weren't through the roof like I know she can/does normally. Would I say "she cant sing the score" or would I say

Company Previews Thread  Dec 12 2021, 11:17:37 AM

Kad said: "I have never seen a "Being Alive" as compelling and coherently acted as Lenk's. She treats the lyrics as the roadmap to discovery that they are intended to be, and takes us on that journey with her.

We have so many big-voiced versions of the song, from other productions or concerts. It was truly refreshing to see an entirely different take, and one that, for me, seemed revelatory to my understanding of the song.

Is there someone

Company reviews  Dec 10 2021, 02:15:02 PM

RippedMan said: "No offense to them, but they clearly don't know what 2021 audiences want. I get they want an actor who sings. But you know what? There are def. actors in NYC who can do both. And do both well."

So I disagree re Katina's singing, which i thought was perfect and moving. But assuming I agreed with you that she can't sing the score, are you really suggesting that Elliott and Sondheim and the production team should ignore what they think is be

Company reviews  Dec 10 2021, 02:11:34 PM

Wick3 said: "A Director said: "Jesse Green has a problem with women directors and playwrights. His review stinks of male chauvinism."

Green recently gave Critic's Pick to Clyde's, written by Lynn Nottage and directed by Kate Whoriskey.
"

Thank you for pointing out the obvious. I disagree with Green's review here-- i loved this production-- but the childish need to ad hominem respond by attacking.... Green for disagreeing? The

Company reviews  Dec 9 2021, 10:19:20 PM

SophiaPetrillo said: "CityLights3 said: "Most of the shows positive reviews even mention the unfortunate miscasting of Lenk and being unable to vocally handle the role. Not only is it a shame, it’s a problem. I wouldn’t mind seeing the understudy go on myself either."

I’m no critic, but my experience of her performance was completely different, and I’m not the only one. Whether she’s miscast is a matter of opinion, not a fac

Company reviews  Dec 9 2021, 09:48:02 PM

ashley0139 said: "It's not even a coherent or well-written review."

I think its perfectly coherent, even though I disagree with it. I do agree with him that the post-Getting Married Today scene between Bobbi and Jamie did not work and felt shoe-horned in. But otherwise its just baffling to me that he is so tough on this show but was a gushing fan over, say, Jagged Little Pill.

Meanwhile, I thought the hostility to Lenk in these parts was just plain silly b

MJ Previews  Dec 9 2021, 07:59:33 PM

im just shocked the moderators have allowed this discussion today. they've deleted every post of mine mentioning how insanely offensive this show is to those who survived sexual abuse and exploitation. What Weinstein did pales in comparison to what MJ did, and I've never seen the moderators, or any of you, have any issue with the very justified criticism and revulsion at Weinstein. 

that said, his music is great. i'm sure this show will be a fun time. but pretending th

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews  Dec 9 2021, 12:52:58 AM

HenryTDobson said: "Amazing reviews, so happy for the creative team and cast. These reviews seem to assume a Broadway transfer is inevitable. Is there any validity to these claims?"

No idea but this show's charm would not really translate in a huge theater. Booth or Hudson in the spring would be sweet.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You