News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for George in DC

George in DC Profile Photo
Member Name: George in DC
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Gatsby or Merrily?
 May 10 2024, 02:57:31 PM

dramamama611 said: "This isn't Sophie's Choice.

Merrily.
"

Literally, The Perfect answer.

77th Tony Awards Performance Predictions
 May 7 2024, 06:49:58 PM

ACL2006 said: "I'd imagine we'll get something from both The Wiz and Back to the Future as both will be touring next year."

I could see Back to the Future because it at least got a couple nominations. I don't see "The Wiz" doing anything.How would you justify giving time to a show that was not worthy of a single nomination?

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
 May 3 2024, 07:40:32 AM

dramamama611 said: "But do you think his comment to GFH, is remotely acceptable?

"

Yes

Drama Desk Nominations ‘24
 Apr 29 2024, 12:13:18 PM

Huss417 said: "It just doesn't seem fair to combine the acting awards they way they do now. For a total of 4 instead of 8."

Why isn't it fair?  It takes gender out of the equation. And instead of having one winner out of 4, you now have 2 winners out of 8. Same ratio, same fairness.

Albums that should be made into Musicals
 Apr 27 2024, 12:13:29 AM

The Beatles "White Album" to do a nice "family" musical about Charlie Manson and his Family.

Seeing a show when you're not feeling great
 Apr 21 2024, 06:38:11 PM

Until Broadway ticket services allow late minute cancellation and exchanges, you are going to get sick people going to the theatre. Nobody is going to lose a couple hundred dollars if they have a mild cold.

This is why most of my theatre money goes to subscriptions in the DC area. With any of my tickets I can call as late as one hour before curtain and they will exchange , no questions asked

Cock play. Broadwa
 Apr 21 2024, 11:30:49 AM

I hated the play and won't see it again no matter who was starring in it.

King Lear, Kenneth Branagh – The Shed, 2024
 Apr 17 2024, 04:59:24 PM

Synecdoche2 said: "The tragedyof this production is that it's depriving New York of Patrick Page's Lear, which was the most astonishing acting performance I think I've ever seen."

I could not agree more. Astonishing is the perfect word for his performance. But everyone was great in their parts. I also think Simon Godwin is the best director of Shakespeare working today. 

Paulus to helm ROMEO & JULIET at ART this fall
 Apr 15 2024, 03:06:13 PM

I have no interest in seeing another production of Romeo and Juliet. At the same time, I would love to see another production Shakespeare's R&J  by Joe Calarco (thats the one where 4 prep school boys act out the entire play). Last production I saw  was done by Signature Theatre and Joe Calarco directed it and revised it for the times. It was brilliant.

BroadwayWorld Announces Ultimate Best Musical March Madness Bracket - Vote Now!
 Apr 3 2024, 05:04:00 PM

The remaining shows just prove how pathetic this is. 

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
 Mar 29 2024, 12:05:01 PM

SkidRow82 said: "IAlso just caught there's a couple of SYTYCD alums in the ensemble, so that's fun for those of us who are fans of that show."

And some of us do not have the slightest idea what that is. I hate acronyms.

Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
 Mar 26 2024, 03:54:05 PM

Definitely Estelle Parsons. She has been doing shows on Broadway for close to 70 years. Such a wonderful talent.

WATER FOR ELEPHANTS Opening Night Critics' Reviews
 Mar 21 2024, 09:57:58 PM

MemorableUserName said: "So, it's Rex Reed, who hates most things and who loved Beanie in Funny Girl, so take what you will from it:

Observer:‘Water for Elephants’ Theater Review: “I’ve Never Hated Any Show More”

https://observer.com/2024/03/water-for-elephants-theater-review-the-worst-broadway-show-ever/

"After suffering through the new Broadway musical The Notebook, I thought I had seen the worst of what the 2024 season would bring. I was wrong. I had not seen Water for Elephants yet. Now I have. It can’t get any deadlier than this."
"

Rex Reed is a sad, pathetic, has been. A man who became famous with no talent whatsoever. As a gay man I can say this, he is just and has always been, a Bitter old queen.

Williamstown Theatre Festival Summer 2024: new David Ives play + solo pieces and an art installation
 Mar 7 2024, 10:57:42 PM

How sad. Truly the best summer theatre festival has now been reduced to this

Barnum has a pro shot?!
 Feb 11 2024, 07:18:20 PM

The London production had none of the charm or wonder that the Broadway production had.  I can't get through the pro shot. Jim Dale was hypnotic and Michael Crawford is his usual hammy self, - vulgar and uninteresting. Also Broadway had the quiet beauty of Glen Close, not to mention the wonderful Terri White.

Kander and Ebb’s 3rd best show
 Jan 19 2024, 04:17:58 PM

"How Lucky Can You Get"

Charlotte St. Martin is leaving the Broadway League
 Jan 16 2024, 08:14:03 PM

Good!

Vox on Jukebox Musicals
 Jan 5 2024, 10:50:52 AM

Zeppie2022 said: " may be wrong but the only jukebox musical to win Tony award for Best Musical was "Jersey Boys". ."

"Moulin Rouge" though it was for the abbreviated season and I doubt it would have won had all the shows scheduled to open had done so.

HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
 Jan 2 2024, 11:16:57 PM

Sutton Ross said: "I'm still confident thatA Beautiful Noisewill close up shop after the holidays with this new schedule giving them a nice boost to get them there. CouldHeartthen take the Broadhurst for the spring?

That sounds about right. Boomers lose their MIND with both Neil Diamond and Huey Lewis, and since they have the money I think this will be popular with the (white) olds.

I'm a boomer, ...well sort of, born 1961

Peter Marks leaving Washington Post
 Dec 18 2023, 10:40:25 PM

I did not always agree with him, but his reviews and insightful articles on theatre will be missed

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You