News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for musicman89

musicman89 Profile Photo
Member Name: musicman89
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: Hello there, I am a high school student who loves musicals and thinks aardvark, matador, beef, and bosom are pretty funny words.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: My thoughts on A Tale of Two Cities
 Oct 31 2007, 01:22:37 AM
Perhaps the St. James once GRINCH leaves.
re: GREAT songs from FLOP musicals?
 Oct 31 2007, 01:19:07 AM
The entire score of CAROLINE, OR CHANGE
Several moments from CHESS ("Anthem," "Mountain Duet," "Nobody's Side," etc.)

re: What Was the Worst Monetary Flop?
 Aug 20 2006, 03:29:33 AM
SUNSET BOULEVARD cost Webber and his Really Useful Group millions.
re: Jersey Boys Shatters August Wilson House Record Again
 Aug 16 2006, 01:26:00 AM
Oh, by no means do I think WICKED is of better quality than JERSEY BOYS and I did not take offense to Foster at all. I was just pointing out, from a business point of view, that WICKED still takes the cake.
re: Jersey Boys Shatters August Wilson House Record Again
 Aug 16 2006, 01:16:33 AM
There are no standing room tickets for the Gerswhin where WICKED plays. It can only play 100%, which it has played consistently almost since it first opened, with a couple of exceptions now and then.

WICKED still grossed $300,000 more than JERSEY BOYS. Although the show is outselling WICKED, seat by seat, WICKED still grosses higher and packs its theatre weekly.

One could argue that the Gerswhin barn is much larger than the August Wilson, but also keep in mind that WICKED did

re: Scared about Mimi as Fantine?
 Aug 12 2006, 09:04:37 PM
She obviously nailed the role in the audition rooms for the creative team or else she would not have been cast. They certainly did not do it for the "name appeal" as no one outside of the theatre world actually knows who she is. Tourists do not care who is in the role, they care that they do a good job, which Daphne is sure to do.
re: BEST MUSICAL EVER
 Aug 9 2006, 10:29:07 PM
Although this is a resurrected thread, I did not comment on it the first time it was highly active. The title BEST MUSICAL has such a subjective connotation by nature, so my list is mostly a combination of personal favorites in addition to shows that I believe to be ideal to the artform.

SHOW BOAT
PORGY AND BESS
OKLAHOMA!
GUYS AND DOLLS
MY FAIR LADY
WEST SIDE STORY
FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
CHICAGO
A CHORUS LINE
SWEENEY TODD
DREAMGIRLS
SUNDAY IN TH

re: New Musical You Are Most Excited About
 Aug 5 2006, 03:04:23 PM
(finally TWO Boublil and Schonberg musicals on Broadway at once! The world is suddenly looking a little rosier)

Apparently you completely missed the 80s and 90s when MISS SAIGON and LES MISERABLES dominated Broadway in addition to those other two British blockbusters.

At this moment, I am most looking forward to THE PIRATE QUEEN.

re: Les Miz Revival Recording?
 Jul 30 2006, 12:49:14 AM
With four English recordings still in print and still selling moderately well on the market, it is highly doubtful. If the show was a smash hit, then at most a highlights disc will be recorded. It would be much too expensive to record the entire score, or even two discs of the score just for a limited six-month engagement production such as this.
re: PERFECT Cast Recordings
 Jul 28 2006, 12:36:25 AM
GYPSY
COMPANY
A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
SWEENEY TODD
SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE
INTO THE WOODS
ASSASSINS
A CHORUS LINE
CHICAGO
DREAMGIRLS
RAGTIME
CAROLINE, OR CHANGE

re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!
 Jul 27 2006, 12:22:35 AM
I really hope this show does well. It would be nice for the Hilton to be able to house a hit.
re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
 Jul 25 2006, 02:58:05 PM
If those are your only options, then THE WEDDING SINGER is the better show to see, especially with your intentions.

However, AVENUE Q would be the better option. It is an excellent show that also appeals to men.

re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/23/2006
 Jul 24 2006, 11:40:34 PM
SWEENEY TODD will probably close once the contracts for Cerveris and LuPone are up. The show took a nosedive when Kaye was in for that one week, I cannot imagine how much it will suffer without the marquee names. It would have had a little over a year run, and it is a critical and economic success. It was a great production, but not everything can last.

I have a feeling DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS and THE WEDDING SINGER will close sometime around December/January in order to reap the bene

re: Legendary Musical of the Decade
 Jul 23 2006, 09:46:23 PM
Well, you must look at what musicals were predominant during the 90s and their lasting influence on shows.

RAGTIME is a brilliant show, but is it influential? THE LION KING features amazing spectacle and innovative staging, but does it represent the more commerical push for Broadway shows? Does it represent the presence of Broadway? No, because BEAUTY AND THE BEAST came before it and its success is what warranted THE LION KING. The 80s British-imported spectacular megahits were more

re: 10 essential musicals for MT MAjors and MT lovers
 Jul 23 2006, 08:37:11 PM
There are several threads out there that already deal with this and other similar types of rankings and listings. The search function is your best friend. Just type in "essential," "best," or "top" and you are bound to get hundreds of replies. 10 is a very difficult number due to the vast styles of the genre. A list of 20 or 25 would be more comprehensive and present a broader spectrum of musicals.
re: Legendary Musical of the Decade
 Jul 22 2006, 11:01:53 PM
My suggestions are based on the fact that these musicals are the most influential of the decade, not necessarily the best, though in some cases, that is true.

1920- SHOW BOAT
1930- PORGY AND BESS
1940- OKLAHOMA!
1950- WEST SIDE STORY
1960- HAIR
1970- A CHORUS LINE
1980- DREAMGIRLS/CATS
1990- GUYS AND DOLLS/CHICAGO/CABARET (Revivals)
2000- THE PRODUCERS/MAMMA MIA!

re: BROADWAY Survey
 Jul 22 2006, 02:15:15 AM
Name 10 of your favorite Broadway shows

01. LES MISERABLES
02. RAGTIME
03. WEST SIDE STORY
04. SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE
05. RENT
06. A CHORUS LINE
07. DREAMGIRLS
08. SWEENEY TODD
09. CAROLINE, OR CHANGE
10. CABARET

Have you ever seen these shows live? If so, where?
Broadway, West End, national tours, regional theater, community theater, videos

What's your favorite song from play 2?
"Back to Before"

Who's you

re: Hot Feet is (As Expected) Closing Sunday
 Jul 18 2006, 01:47:39 PM
After DR. SEUSS' HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS, it is believed that THE PIRATE QUEEN will open next at the Hilton.
re: Dreamgirls Recording
 Jul 11 2006, 12:54:59 AM
It is always best and wisest to pick up the original Broadway cast recording first. It is heavily truncated, but it does present most of the best moments from the show. If you find that you love it, then go out and buy the concert version.

It is a win-win situation. Both are great recordings, but start with the original cast first before purchasing the concert version.

re: Your top 5 movie musicals!
 Jul 10 2006, 01:07:39 AM
"Even though it wasn't baed on a stage show, I can't BELIEVE no one has mentioned Singin in the Rain, widely accepted to be the best movie musical EVER. And probably my number 6 (but only because I've seen it so often and its novelty has worn off).
Y'all are philistines."

Apparently you did not read all of the previous threads to your own. Singin' in the Rain was my number one and mentioned at least one or two other times before your post.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You