Wedding Singer or Tarzan?

BroadwayDreams2 Profile Photo
BroadwayDreams2
#0Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:11pm

I'm taking my boyfriend to his first Broadway show on August 5th. We're either seeing The Wedding Singer or Tarzan because we can get rush tickets for them. The only problem is that we can't decide which to go to. He doesn't like typical musicals (Phantom of the Opera would put him to sleep). He liked Rent and really wanted to see Spamalot but we can't get tickets. Which show would be a better choice? I've heard the same mixed reviews of both so any help you can provide, I'd be really grateful!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#1re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:13pm

Neither.

thevolleyballer
#2re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:13pm

Well, from a professional reviewer standpoint, Tarzan got worse reviews than Wedding Singer.

From a theatre junkie standpoint, I loved Wedding Singer. I despised Tarzan. Wedding Singer is just so much fun, and even if there's little chemistry between the two leads, which is usually some reviewers' biggest problem, it's still just so hard not to smile while you're watching it.

And from a 'my-friend-dragged-me-to-the-theatre' standpoint, do Wedding Singer. I brought my best friend with me, and he's never seen a show in his life, and of all the shows he saw in NYC with me, he enjoyed this one the most.

And really? Tarzan just sucks.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#3re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:14pm

I haven't seen Tarzan but I loved The Wedding Singer. It's a lot of fun, regardless of what the reviews said. It's also a pretty easy rush to get tickets for, as opposed to Tarzan, which I hear is a tad harder. Plus, if he'd like to see a comedy like Spamalot, I'd definitely suggest TWS--it's hilarious.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#4re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:14pm

Take him to Avenue Q, he'd really like that. They have a lotto if you'd want to try for that.

#5re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:15pm

well it really depends on your personal preference.

TWS has amazing energy, great music, and great cast, as does Tarzan. TWS is more of a typical love story and Tarzan is a little more out there. But both are happy endings and both are great shows! Whatever you do see, I'm sure you will love it!

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#6re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:21pm

My boyfriend is NOT a theater guy, and I've dragged him to both.

He LOVED Wedding Singer and wants to go back. He fell asleep during Tarzan.

Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight

#7re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:27pm

yea, i will say my personal preference is TWS. There is really just so much energy and the cast is AMAZING!

matt schneider
#8re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:31pm

If those are your only choices than deffinetly do Wedding Singer.

The bushes of Tex were nervous recks because their son was dim, But look what happened to him~Dirrty Rotten Scoundrels~all about Ruprecht They say the thoughtful musicals dead on broadway~forbiden broadway : SVU~The crime scene Never say never, there's always one more person you can hit up~avenue Q.~the money song Life sucks, get a pacifyer~my own saying

dewdew17 Profile Photo
dewdew17
#9re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:32pm

wedding singer

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#10re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:35pm

Both suck. THE WEDDING SINGER is atleast enjoyable.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#11re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:36pm

The Wedding Singer, I liked Tarzan, but The Wedding Singer is fantastic! No contest.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#12re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:38pm

as someone said try lotto for Avenue Q and if that doesn't work...see Wedding Singer. It's got Stephen Lynch!

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

RentHead2 Profile Photo
RentHead2
#13re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:43pm

I had the same dilemma but I don't think I would ever see Tarzan, and I dragged my boyfriend to Wedding Singer. He absolutly loved it, and was gleaming about the Michael Jackson moonwalk...and the flashdance water scene. The musical left us both gleaming. Trust me he'll love it!

I made a list of all your faults, it was quite detailed and lengthy too and when I read it through I missed you. Your like a classic Eagles song, you just cant help but sing along even though it sometimes gets annoying too. I just know I want to be wherever I can wake and see you there next to me. **High Fidelity** Love is what I do **The Wedding Singer** Xanadu - Best NEW Musical of the Season!

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#14re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:46pm

woa!! do you value your relationship? neither!!! go to Avenue Q or Hairspray. I would never take a newbie to those terrible shows, though their target audiences are virgins.

Buscee
#15re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:59pm

WEDDING SINGER!! Its enjoyable. Tarzan is a total embarassment. It should not be on Broadway!

Buscee
#16re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:59pm

WEDDING SINGER!! Its enjoyable. Tarzan is a total embarassment. It should not be on Broadway!

SCBWannabe Profile Photo
SCBWannabe
#17re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 2:03pm

It depends. If you want to hear people with beautiful voices then see Tarzan. The staging on Tarzan is beautiful and the leads have amazing voices.

I saw both shows this weekend. Tarzan for the 3rd time and TWS for the 1st. Not sure I would see TWS again....but I did miss seeing Laura, Amy & Matthew S. so I may go back when they are in the show.

#18re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 2:04pm

Well, i always liked being different. I say Tarzan. Its captivating from the front row and the sightlines are soooo much better than at Wedding Singer.

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#19re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 2:09pm

Tarzan is a HUGE MESS!! I can not believe anyone would suggest this show. The first 3 minutes are pretty cool, but the rest is just terrible. The Tarzan ROCKS! show at Disney world was better and they had walk-arounds on roller skates. This show should close immediatly.

SCBWannabe Profile Photo
SCBWannabe
#20re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 2:17pm

I think the performers in Tarzan should be commended for what they do in that show. When I was there Saturday, I stood immediately for the curtain call. I think the ensemble members deserve just as much of the applause and praise as the leads.

MeJustHavingFun: Why must you be so negative? It is only your opinion. I know the glowing reviews are just my opinion, but you know what....give credit where the credit is due instead of constantly bashing it. They are all doing something you can only dream about. Sorry I am just sick of all the Tarzan bashing around here.
Updated On: 7/25/06 at 02:17 PM

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#21re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 2:20pm

NEITHER

#22re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 2:45pm

im sorry you dislike the show so much. when i brought my mother she was blown away in the first scene, crying in the second and on the edge of her seat the entire time. when it was over she was sure it would win every award. so it may not be for you, but there are clearly people who love it. I've seen it now five times and cant wait to go back.

the wedding singer for me was a good show but not a great show. i wouldnt tell someone not to see it, it just wouldnt be my first suggestion.

SCBWannabe Profile Photo
SCBWannabe
#23re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 2:48pm

You and I are on the same page Mistress.....

#24re: Wedding Singer or Tarzan?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 2:51pm

SCBWannabe: Thank you, im sick of the Tarzan bashing too. its getting rediculous. if you dont like it fine, you have a right to not like it but ppl go overboard.

Videos