Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#0OFFICIAL: PIRATE QUEEN DATES AND FULL CAST ANNOUNCED
Posted: 7/26/06 at 5:23pm

Previews start February 23rd and opening is March 22nd at the Hilton Theatre!

YAY! :)

EDITED TO ADD: Scroll down for full cast!

Source Updated On: 7/27/06 at 05:23 PM

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#1re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!
Posted: 7/26/06 at 5:33pm

Exciting re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!! This is great news! Thank you for sharing.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#2re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!
Posted: 7/26/06 at 5:35pm

Thanks Popular! I'm excited...Steph will be great~

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
Adjie Profile Photo
Adjie
#4re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!
Posted: 7/26/06 at 5:54pm

Yaaaay! Thanks Popular!!!! Can't wait!!!!

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#5re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!
Posted: 7/26/06 at 7:18pm

Guess my next trans-Atlantic holiday will be end of February then! Hope that's good for the poor soul(s) I end up dragging along with me... re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!

COOOOLkid
#6re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!
Posted: 7/26/06 at 7:29pm

Hmm... I just hope Hilton isn't TOO big for this show.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#7re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!
Posted: 7/26/06 at 7:58pm

That's always a concern. The Hilton has had but one viable hit (42nd Street), and even that didn't make its money back. Then again, until Wicked came in, the Gershwin hadn't had a big hit in a long while. The subject matter for this is intriguing to me, enough that I'll want to see it. I suspect the show's success or failure will rest on its advertising. If they market this correctly (and cash on the fact that world "pirate" is in its title, and Pirates of the Caribbean is the biggest film of the year) it could be a hit.

Time will tell...

When does the Chicago tryout start? How much time do they have in between Chicago and New York to work on the show?

lfae Profile Photo
lfae
#8re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!
Posted: 7/27/06 at 12:05am

Oh, excellent. I was so certain it was going to open the day after I leave the US. No, I miss it by an entire month! That's so much less painful re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!

All fingers crossed it'll run for at least a year and a half...lol

(Although SJB mayn't be in it that long...okay, I'm just never going to see the woman. Ever)

RentBoy86
#9re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!
Posted: 7/27/06 at 12:18am

I think if they're smart they'll advertise it as "the new musical from the creators of Les Miz" since Les Miz will be running on Broadway when this show opens.

musicman89 Profile Photo
musicman89
#10re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!
Posted: 7/27/06 at 12:22am

I really hope this show does well. It would be nice for the Hilton to be able to house a hit.

"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." ~ Freddie Mercury

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#11re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!
Posted: 7/27/06 at 1:22am

Answering Adamgreers question: The Pirate Queen runs from October 03, 2006 - November 26, 2006 in Chicago. So, theyll have about three months to make changes.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#12re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!
Posted: 7/27/06 at 1:28am

Lfae - Awww, keep the faith. I don't know if you'll appreciate this story but I'll tell it to you anyway...

A few of her fans couldn't make it to her Birdland concert. I'm pretty sure that, although most had probably contacted her, some of them had never met her either. So a few of them sent over photos of themselves to someone and they were at least there in spirit as stick figures. HAHA Here's hoping you one day get closer than just this.

re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!

As for the advertisement of the show, I think so far they have definitely built it up to be the latest show "from the creators of Les Mis and Miss Saigon". The commercial that is running in Chicago proves that.

Click here to view the commercial

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#13re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!
Posted: 7/27/06 at 2:14am

Full cast announced!

"Marcus Chait (Urban Cowboy) and William Youmans (Wicked) have also joined a list of principals that already included Stephanie J. Block, Linda Balgord, Hadley Fraser and Jeff McCarthy.

In addition to the stars listed above, the cast will include Nick Adams, Richard Todd Adams, Caitlin Allen, Sean Beglan, Timothy W. Bish, Jerad Bortz, Troy Edward Bowles, Grady McLeod Bowman, Rachel Bress, Don Brewer, Kimilee Bryant, Alexis Ann Carra, Áine Uí Cheallaigh, Noelle Curran, Bobbie-Ann Dunn, Brooke Elliott, Christopher Garbrecht, Eric Hatch, Cristin J. Hubbard, David Koch, Timothy Kochka, Jamie LaVerdiere, Joseph Mahowald, Tokiko Masuda, Padraic Moyles, Brian O'Brien, Kyle James O'Connor, Michael James Scott, Greg Stone, Katie E. Tomlinson, Daniel Torres, Jennifer Waiser and Briana Yacavone."
Broadway.Com article

RentBoy86
#14re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!
Posted: 7/27/06 at 2:15am

I can't wait to see some actual productions photos or hear some actual songs from the show. All the landscape views get annoying.

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#15re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!
Posted: 7/27/06 at 5:31am

It was about time that hugely talented duo gave as a new musical ! It looks like next year will be great for Broadway ! Pirate Queen and Catch me if you Can. My two absolute favorite duos of creators have new shows !!!I don't know when I'll be able to catch the shows but I surely can't wait for the Cast Recordings !!

lfae Profile Photo
lfae
#16re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!
Posted: 7/27/06 at 6:10am

LOL! Popular, that's the cutest story ever :)

(And a good idea to keep in mind, although maybe I'll just give in next time and plan my third trip around her movements *g*)

almostxfamous Profile Photo
almostxfamous
#17re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!
Posted: 7/27/06 at 7:21am

This is great! I originally heard about this show a while ago through Daniel Torres' website, and I'm so excited that it's getting a move! Daniel, who was an original swing in Altar Boyz, was so excited back when he got the show, and I'm so happy for him. It's about time for this amazing talent to originate a role.

Stephanie will obviously be amazing, and I can't wait to hear some previews of the songs.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#18re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!
Posted: 7/27/06 at 12:25pm

As far as the songs go, Steph wrote on her website that there is one song called "Because I Am A Wife", that supposedly has her belting like like she's never belted before! Those were pretty much her exact words about it... so yeah, I can't wait to hear the songs either! :)

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#19re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!
Posted: 7/27/06 at 12:50pm

As much as I love Stephanie, AND Boublil & Shonberg, I have to ask...

...in this era of sarcastic, schloppy musicals, who is the audience for this show? This doesn't seem to fit the current trend on Broadway (sadly). I guess there's hoping that musicals like Light In the Piazza and The Pirate Queen will turn that around a bit. Plus, the "Riverdance" aspect of this show stikes me a bit as yesterday's news, or about 10 years too late.

I happen to have loved Martin Guerre, but it was pretty clear that it wasn't what Broadway audiences wanted at the time. I'm not seeing (based on what I've read) how The Pirate Queen is any more commercial than Martin Guerre would have been.

Am I alone? I mean, I would LOVE for this show to succeed, but is anyone else a little worried about the viability of a show like The Pirate Queen in today's Broadway market?

WordedGrace Profile Photo
WordedGrace
#20re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!
Posted: 7/27/06 at 12:50pm

The show sounds really unique but will it become a hit? Can SJB bring in an audience or will the buzz be solely based on its creators? As long as it it Riverdance mixed with Pirates I think it should be fine.. Here's hoping SJB becomes a bigger
star or a Tony award winner...

I'm not gonna hate you in the magazines, (I'm better than that) I'm not gonna compromise my Christianity, (I'm better than that) You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet Cause my momma taught me better than that.

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#21re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!
Posted: 7/27/06 at 1:04pm

is there any way that I can buy ticket for the opening night? I just so want to meet Boubil and Schonberg and get a signature.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#22re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!
Posted: 7/27/06 at 1:07pm

Well many have handed next year's TONY to Christine Ebersole, but I think THE PIRATE QUEEN is a great idea and has a lot of potential to be a Big Hit!
My only comcern is Mark Dendy, he does not have a good Broadway record, let's hope he turns that around.

tmz814 Profile Photo
tmz814
#23re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!
Posted: 7/27/06 at 3:48pm

Awww... it's so cool to see the entire casts' names in print. 3 of my friends are making their broadway debuts in the ensemble. I can't wait to see this.

We've all got our junk and my junk is you!

jam_man
#24re: OFFICAL: Date and theater given for Pirate Queen!!
Posted: 7/27/06 at 8:36pm

Excuse me if I'm abnormally behind, but wasn't Colm Wilkinson supposed to be in Pirate Queen? I know I heard that at one point - when did that change?

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

Videos