News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Heather4

Member Name: Heather4
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Is there any new talk about the future of BEETLEJUICE?  Sep 21 2020, 12:16:19 PM

I've learned in general to "never say never." I do think that since a pro-shoot was never able to be completed (Alex Brightman confirmed on twitter weeks ago they were scheduled to do it in April but due to COVID it never took place) that at some point Warner Brothers will do what Nickelodeon did with Spongebob and have the original cast come back for a filmed live performance that would air on a different platform.  (A deal with Netflix for it could certainly happen.) 

2020 tony awards. It can still happen.  Aug 4 2020, 02:18:40 PM

Call_me_jorge said: "I understand the issue of not all the voters and nominators being able to see the shows, which opened in time live. I just find it frustrating that Emmy Awards and other awards programming continuing to move forward despite the pandemic. I just think it would be in the best interest of the Broadway League and the American Theatre Wing to move forward on this and Im just having difficulty understanding why they arent. Especially considering its becoming more and more likely there wont even be a ceremony next year too..."

The Emmy's are very different from the Tony's.  The Emmy Awards state that for a show to receive a nomination they must air between June 1, 2019-May 31, 2020. This is a substantial window for the world of television versus a smaller window with the Tony's.  The complete details for the Emmy's voting process can be found on their website here: https://www.emmys.com/news/emmys-calendar/emmy-awards-industry-calendar.

The Tony's are different because there must be at least 8 live performances made available to Tony voters (see Deadline's article here as my reference: https://deadline.com/2020/03/broadway-tony-awards-schedule-covid-19-postpoment-1202886677) as well as needing to have an official opening date prior to the deadline.  Many of the shows that would most likely be considered big front runners like Six, The Minutes, Hangmen, etc would not be eligible because of the shutdown.

In short, it's easier for the television and film world to hold ceremonies because it is nearly all pre-filmed content (with the exception of live specials) and does not need to be seen in real time.  Will there be another Tony awards? Yes. Is it possible the next Tony's won't happen until 2022?  Absolutely.

BCEFA Flea Market  Aug 3 2020, 11:04:53 AM

I highly doubt that Broadway Flea will happen this year, at least in person.  Since many of the productions may have signed things for the spring fundraiser prior to the shutdown, (I believe they were supposed to start fundraising the weekend of the shutdown though I could be mistaken) I wouldn't be surprised if BCEFA did an online version of Broadway Flea with any items that were signed by productions that were running at the time.

RIP Nick Cordero  Jul 5 2020, 09:27:20 PM
Absolutely heartbreaking. Praying for his family and friends. Amanda has shown such immense faith and grace.
Stage 4 Reopening ?  Jun 26 2020, 04:17:40 PM

Concerning movie theatres: Most theatre chains are looking for a mid-July opening, however that was when Tenet was scheduled for a July 17th release and it has been pushed back an additional month to August 12th.  Disney is considering pushing back the July 24th release of Mulan.   Wonder Woman 84 was also pushed back until October 2nd from its August 14th opening.  The mid-July opening for several of the larger companies (AMC, Regal) was also announced prior to the curren

Broadway Musicals that Deserve Film Adaptations or Remakes?  Jun 24 2020, 01:30:53 PM

I would like the Beetlejuice musical made into an adaptation, especially if the OBC could reprise their roles.  Leslie Kritzer as Delia and Miss Argentina along with Alex Brightman as Beetlejuice I would love to see again.  Maybe add in a cameo from Michael Keaton for fun as well.

The Music Man should do the right thing and postpone/cancel the run now  Jun 24 2020, 12:38:53 PM

jo said: "Speed said: "This show will not play in Spring 2021. Certainly not to full houses. If you can get your money back now, I'd do it. Singing is the best way to spread coronavirus. I don't expect Broadway theaters to be open until Fall 2022. Honestly."

Makes sense!

Telecharge is supposed to haverebookedseats side by side, as early as April. It is likely that when Phase 4 for NY opens, there may still be physical distancing requirements.

And what about the risks to performers and crew?

"

Governor Cuomo had a press conference today and released updated guidelines for Phase 4 reopening.  They are allowing "low risk indoor arts & entertainment" to open with certain criteria as well as Media Production outlines as well.  I would think that any promotional work such as photo shoots, marketing etc may fall under the Media guidelines as well as the decision of Broadway League and Actor's Equity.  The current guidelines for those categories for New York's Phase 4 can be found here: https://forward.ny.gov/phase-four-industries

The Music Man should do the right thing and postpone/cancel the run now  Jun 23 2020, 12:13:50 PM

In regards to the upcoming Ferrari biopic set to film in the spring, Hugh is also in talks to star in The Good Spy, as well as being linked to ate least two in-development films (The Odyssey and Apostle Paul).

Phase 3- Broadway Reopens?  Jun 20 2020, 03:43:49 PM

New York, similar to other states, has a four stage reopening process.  Movie theatres, entertainment venues, etc will be in phase 4.  Currently, no area in New York is ready for phase 4, and a few areas are in phase 3.  Even if Broadway would be cleared to open, that doesn't mean that they will. The producers, Actor's Equity, Broadway League and theatre owners won't unless it is safe for the cast, crew, and audience members.

I understand wanting Broadway to

Spring 2021 Broadway  Jun 19 2020, 12:52:27 PM

broadwaybebe44 said: "I have tried to search online for a proper article or specific theatrewebsite to find information about Broadway reopenings. I have never been to New York, and I was planning my trip to go see Broadway musicalsthis year. Obviously things have derailed, but any update? Does anyone know if they are going to open any shows for later this year? Or at least where I could potentially find information regarding the subject.

Thanks!
"

I would

On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September  Jun 10 2020, 11:40:59 AM

jpbran said: "That's what keeps confusing me... "never once implied that Broadway was opening up in September" "this is really about offering refunds, and not at all to be used asgoalpost for reopening"

Then why are so many shows stillselling tickets for the following week? (not being combative, just trying to understand the thinking)
"

It could be for several reasons, including gauging if audience interest is still there fo

Shut down until June 7  Apr 8 2020, 03:05:32 PM

kylegfil_ said: "For sure. It's really sad. It's shows like Wicked, Phantom, Hamilton, BoM, and The Lion King that people didn't seem to be worried about when the return date was 4/12. My question previously was are people still not worried about those shows? My concern is for shows like Hadestown, Dear Evan Hansen (maybe?), Come From Away, Frozen, Mean Girls, Aladdin, etc."

Long running shows I'm not particularly worried about.  ALW has stated h

Is This The End of Beetlejuice?  Apr 8 2020, 02:54:26 PM

darquegk said: "Beetlejuice: the Musical: the Franchise is probably bigger than the Broadway production at this point. Even if they skipped the tour and went straight into licensing opening up, they'd probably stand to make more money than the tour would, and as long as they keep up a sharp social media presence might still be able to move a decent amount of merchandise."

I do hope that they will still release the May Playbill as that was the fan design contest w

Is This The End of Beetlejuice?  Apr 8 2020, 12:03:04 PM

bwaybffs said: "UPDATE:https://www.playbill.com/article/beetlejuice-officially-closes-at-the-winter-garden-theatre-after-broadway-extends-shutdown

Playbill states Beetlejuice is now closed, but has anything officially been announced by the show?
"

The show has not yet officially released a statement concerning they are now closed, however a move to a different theatre cannot even be really contemplated until Broadway reopens.  Production has long said they are looking into moving into a different theatre (the Barrymore was rumored as a potential option and is still considered to be), but they won't know which theatres are potential options until a final reopening date is confirmed.  (As unfortunately they may not be the last to close during the shutdown) They will most likely release the May Playbill on Playbill shop as a winner was selected and it was promoted. 

Shut down until June 7  Apr 8 2020, 11:34:14 AM

ACL2006 said: "This long shutdown does give the producers of Beetlejuice a lot of time to consider moving to another theater. Still an option, otherwise the show will just start touring in 2021."

It is entirely possible they still move theatres.  My heart hurts for the cast and crew of Beetlejuice and every show that unknowingly played their last show right before the shutdown.  Hopefully whenever the Tonys occur they will allow the casts to take a true fin

Apr 6 2020, 12:30:47 PM

JennH said: "^^All that, and certainly Broadway ain't gonna wait that long either....at least not without a state or federal measure. But legit question, CAN you be tested for immunity? Maybe I missed some important news? Pure question, not a fight.You can certainty be tested for the virus itself just like any disease in existence, but testing for immunity is basically testing if you've had it before, which to my knowledge isn't a thing yet, not to mention it seems to sti

WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE  Apr 6 2020, 12:23:08 PM

Governor Cuomo just announced that the closure of non-essential businesses is extended through April 29th.  Broadway League will probably announce that Broadway's closure will be extended through that time at least in the next few days.  Most likely the theatres are waiting for the government order to be extended as I believe (and let me know if I am incorrect) that allows them to collect on additional insurance as the closure is due to government decree.

The Tonys are officially postponed!  Mar 25 2020, 03:20:16 PM

Mr. Wormwood said: "I wonder if the reason they haven't officially postponed Broadway's return (which we all know is going to happen) is because they are trying to come up with a realistic date they hope they can stick to? I'm guessing they don't want to do too soon and have to postpone again but also don't want to do too late and be able to return earlier (I understand the former is more likely than the latter)"

This is possible, and also the sit

How Long ??  Mar 22 2020, 01:17:02 PM

In regards to the Tony's, my hope is that instead of awards, have it be a celebration of Broadway.  Many of the shows can perform, highlight the tours and off Broadway productions as well. Celebrate those on the stage and behind the scenes, the seamstresses who are sewing masks for healthcare workers, the living room performances to benefit BCEFA & The Actor's Fund.  This could also allow the casts of the shows that were forced to close permanently have the final bow the

Did the CDC just close Brooadway for 8 weeks?  Mar 15 2020, 08:26:19 PM
While the CDC cannot legally make anyone adhere to their guidelines, states more likely than not tend to adhere to them or use them as a baseline for the recommendations their health departments make. If social distancing is not practiced, it may very well come to shutting down Broadway an additional 4 weeks which would put an open date at minimum of May 15th (since the original 4 weeks started Thursday). It is entirely possible the recommendation could change again in either direction.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You