When Will You Go Back?

BWAY Baby2
#1When Will You Go Back?
Posted: 3/26/20 at 3:24pm

BWAY is taking their sweet time cancelling the performances for the next few months- we all know they are going to do this- but when? Seems like they are very slow about making the announcement and I am not sure why. So many other theater and museum announcements have been made- but no BWAY. When do you think that announcement will be made- April 12 is right around the corner.

Updated On: 4/8/20 at 03:24 PM

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#2WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE
Posted: 3/26/20 at 3:42pm

Why are you screaming ? Stay safe and healthy take a Broadway break. They will announce it when they can. People are dying and you are worried about Broadway

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE
Posted: 3/26/20 at 3:45pm

This is a broadway message board where people discuss broadway. It hasn’t been taken over by the government and turned into a coronavirus board so people discuss theatre here. I know that is hard for (for some reason a lot of) people to grasp but that’s just what it is.

And I’m not really sure where you get the “screaming” idea from. <<edited by BWW staff>>

Updated On: 3/26/20 at 03:45 PM

Fosse76
#4WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE
Posted: 3/26/20 at 3:57pm

The reality is that Broadway shows were closed only because the governor forced them to close. If they could resume performances tomorrow they would (regardless as to whether or not anything has improved). There is no doubt in my mind that the League is (delusionally) hopeful they can resume on April 12th even though reality sings a different song.

BdwayLife
#5WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE
Posted: 3/26/20 at 4:02pm

WldKingdomHM said: "Why are you screaming ? Stay safe and healthy take a Broadway break. They will announce it when they can. People are dying and you are worried about Broadway"

This is a theatre-based chat board. My lord. If I read another response like this...  You’d think that this were a board dedicated to oceanographers, or a particular athletic sport, or brides to be. People are going to ask about, or relay their experiences and/or emotions around, theatre.  

hork Profile Photo
hork
#6WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE
Posted: 3/26/20 at 4:03pm

BWAY Baby2 said: "BWAY is taking their sweet time cancelling the performances for the next few months- we all know they are going to do this- but when? Seems like they are very slow about making the announcement and I am not sure why. So many other theater and museum announcements have been made- but no BWAY. When do you think that announcement will be made- April 12 is right around the corner."

Tomorrow.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#7WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE
Posted: 3/26/20 at 4:04pm

WldKingdomHM said: "Why are you screaming ? Stay safe and healthy take a Broadway break. They will announce it when they can. People are dying and you are worried about Broadway"

People are always dying.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#8WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE
Posted: 3/26/20 at 4:05pm

BdwayLife said: "WldKingdomHM said: "Why are you screaming ? Stay safe and healthy take a Broadway break. They will announce it when they can. People are dying and you are worried about Broadway"

This is a theatre-based chat board.My lord. If I read another response like this... You’d think that this were a board dedicated to oceanographers, or a particular athletic sport, or brides to be. People are going to ask about, or relay their experiences and/oremotions around, theatre.

Amen. Everyone knows the coronavirus is more serious than when Broadway is going to re-open but this is a BROADWAY MESSAGE BOARD so it's certainly fair game and not wrong to talk about

To answer the question, I posted this in another thread but I wonder if the delay in making an announcement is trying to come up with a reasonable date for return. I don't think they want to say "indefinitely" especially since they sell tickets months in advance and don't want people to start returning those.

Updated On: 3/26/20 at 04:05 PM

BenElliott Profile Photo
BenElliott
#9WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE
Posted: 3/26/20 at 4:23pm

Why are you on a Broadway message board?

The OP has a point.  I don't think producers are being entirely transparent.  This is likely to last into the summer and they should stop selling tickets and cancel indefinitely.  They're not going to be open by April 12th.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#10WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE
Posted: 3/26/20 at 4:33pm

I don't think producers are being entirely transparent.  This is likely to last into the summer and they should stop selling tickets and cancel indefinitely.  They're not going to be open by April 12th.

100% agree. I understand it's going to be devastating to Broadway to possibly not have summer tourist dollars, but they need to announce very soon so everyone can plan accordingly. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#11WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE
Posted: 3/26/20 at 4:36pm

There's no reason not to discuss this topic, but it could very easily go in the "How Long??" thread, rather than unnecessarily starting a new one. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#12WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE
Posted: 3/26/20 at 4:37pm

Fosse76 said: "The reality is that Broadway shows were closed only because the governor forced them to close. If they could resume performances tomorrow they would (regardless as to whether or not anything has improved). 

Uh, no. If they were allowed to resume performances tomorrow they would still not open. imagine that mess, it would be much worse.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#13WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE
Posted: 3/26/20 at 4:51pm

CT2NYC said: "There's no reason not to discuss this topic, but it could very easily go in the "How Long??" thread, rather thanunnecessarily starting a new one."

But then we couldn't get the all caps title thread.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

BWAY Baby2
#14WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE
Posted: 3/26/20 at 5:10pm

The reason I asked- is I called Ticketmaster to get a refund for health- my partner has a severe kidney condition and I do not want to take the chance to come to NY to see Lehman Trilogy on May 13 at 1PM- so I asked for a refund because of health concerns- and I have the urologists documentation if they need that. They told me NO- that unless the show was cancelled- the tickets cannot be refunded for any reason. Well, I paid $757 for two third row center seats- and am awaiting the announcement so I can get my refund. I am sure there are others in my situation as well. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#15WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE
Posted: 3/26/20 at 5:11pm

BWAY Baby2 said: "BWAY is taking their sweet time cancelling the performances for the next few months- we all know they are going to do this- but when? Seems like they are very slow about making the announcement and I am not sure why. So many other theater and museum announcements have been made- but no BWAY. When do you think that announcement will be made- April 12 is right around the corner."

BWAY is not reopening on the 12th of April - we all know that... Maybe they'l announce on April 12 when we will really know if it has peaked by then...if so, give BWAY 2-3 months after before possibly opening...it's just a guessing game for now. Hang in there! It's also the governor allowing large groups 500+ to be back in a room together so soon...This will not happen quickly once cases have leveled off and showing no new cases here.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 3/26/20 at 05:11 PM

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#16WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE
Posted: 3/26/20 at 5:14pm

I have no inside sources or anything of the ilk, but it is almost a certainty that Broadway will not open on the originally announced date. NYC still hasn’t peaked and Daddy Cuomo and Hizzoner are certainly not going to put people in danger. Am I upset that the Ragtime benefit will likely be postponed/cancelled? Sure. But look at all the wonderful ways we have been given access to our favorite shows and performers via Seth, Rosie, and other outlets. Everyone needs to stay home, keep positive, and be safe. Broadway will return to us.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#17WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE
Posted: 3/26/20 at 5:17pm

Fosse76 said: "The reality is that Broadway shows were closed only because the governor forced them to close. If they could resume performances tomorrow they would (regardless as to whether or not anything has improved). There is no doubt in my mind that the League is (delusionally) hopeful they can resume on April 12th even though reality sings a different song."

From what I understand, it was actually kind of mutual. They planned to close but waited until the state mandated it. I may be wrong but that is what I have heard.

I am sure a lot is going on regarding decisions on what shows will return or not. I would assume meeting with producers and investors.I would suspect that a lot is not being done in face to face meetings so lots of phone calls. I would suspect this doesn't take a few days to decide. Theater owners may be trying to work with shows so that they can re-open and they are working with multiple productions. I am sure they are not just sitting around. 

And now throw in that Trump wants things to be up and running by Easter. I would also suspect that when we all do go back to work, Broadway may not open right away. I don't think theaters are going to fill up right away. So I am sure a lot is being discussed. Just have patience. JMO

Just give the world Love.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#18WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE
Posted: 3/26/20 at 5:18pm

BWAY Baby2 said: "The reason I asked- is I called Ticketmaster to get a refund for health- my partner has a severe kidney condition and I do not want to take the chance to come to NY to see Lehman Trilogy on May 13 at 1PM- so I asked for a refund because of health concerns- and I have the urologists documentation if they need that. They told me NO- that unless the show was cancelled- the tickets cannot be refunded for any reason. Well, I paid $757 for two third row center seats- and am awaiting the announcement so I can get my refund. I am sure there are others in my situation as well."

We hear ya and that sucks...it's such a BIG ??? in 4 weeks possibly sooner I feel we'll have an idea...That's a lot of $$$

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#19WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE
Posted: 3/26/20 at 6:12pm

America now has more cases than any other country in the world. 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#20WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE
Posted: 3/26/20 at 6:45pm

Fosse76 said: "The reality is that Broadway shows were closed only because the governor forced them to close. If they could resume performances tomorrow they would (regardless as to whether or not anything has improved). There is no doubt in my mind that the League is (delusionally) hopeful they can resume on April 12th even though reality sings a different song."

I doubt the Equity would agree to have the performers go on.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#21WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE
Posted: 3/26/20 at 6:46pm

blaxx said: "America now has more cases than any other country in the world."

BREAKING 

The U.S. Now Leads the World in Confirmed Coronavirus Cases

Scientists warned that the United States someday would become the country hardest hit by the coronavirus pandemic. That moment arrived on Thursday.

In the United States, at least 81,321 people are known to have been infected with the coronavirus, including more than 1,000 deaths — more cases than China, Italy or any other country has seen, according to data gathered by The New York Times.

The Times is engaged in a comprehensive effort to track the details of every confirmed case in the United States, collecting information from federal, state and local officials.

With 330 million residents, the United States is the world’s third most populous nation, meaning it provides a vast pool of people who can potentially get Covid-19, the disease caused by the virus.

saxpower
#22WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE
Posted: 3/26/20 at 9:23pm

Most likely, there are discussions going on in the background with the League, Equity, other unions, producers, the state/city, etc on a number of issues that as many people as possible need to be on the same page for.  Things like income for actors/stagehands/musicians/etc, how to divide up stimulus money, the projected future of the virus etc. all need to be taken into consideration.  Productions in previews at the time of the shutdown need to set a new opening night (which requires coordination to try not to have two open the same night)- or if to open at all.  Other productions need to figure out how quickly (and in some cases, if) they can open again. 

Not to get political but Trump's desire to have the country reopened by 4/12 may be a factor. Once some states/cities open, the virus will hav a chance to start spreading again, making "stay at home" orders in other places less effective, and therefore less defendable  Also, while Trump may not be able to force states/cities to lift shutdown orders, he CAN make it difficult for them to remain in place. For example, he could limit funding supplied by the executive branch (FEMA, etc) after April 12 (or whenever).  At a certain point, there wouldn't be much of a choice for NY to lift the shutdown. Its conceivable everyone's waiting to see what the feds decide to do.

All that said, we are coming up on two weeks until the planned re-open date.  Things are going to have happening soon if re-opening is going to happen (cleaning the theaters, perhaps some run-throughs, etc).  People holding tickets for soon after the planned reopening need to be able to make plans.  I'm supposed to have a Broadway weekend May 1-3.  I know it's unlikely my plans will go forward, but would rather not be running around at the last minute to cancel the train tickets and hotel (and don't want to cancel only to learn the shows are going on).  People with tickets for the week after Easter have a tighter time frame.   Decisions need to be made, but we should remember there are a number of groups involved, and its preferable (a) to have a consensus  and (b) come up with a date which is realistic, but does not push the date farther back then necessary.   

BWAY Baby2
#23WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE
Posted: 3/26/20 at 9:31pm

There is not enough money in the Treasury- well, that is not saying much these days- to get me to visit NYC until the virus is under control and the danger of disease is minimal at best. 

sppunk
#24WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE
Posted: 3/26/20 at 9:36pm

I don’t see how Broadway can open before June 15 at the absolute earliest and best-case scenario.

My guess is July 4 weekend.

whatever2
#25WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE
Posted: 3/26/20 at 9:58pm

> Not to get political but Trump's desire to have the country reopened by 4/12 may be a factor.

why are we giving credence to this inanity by repeating it? By April 12th, the death and suffering this virus will have wrought in this country will overwhelm anything Cadet Bonespurs tries to say. Even (some) Republican Governors already are distancing themselves from such rubbish … no serious policy-maker believes this can happen. So we all should stop repeating it, unless it's to heap further abuse on the absurdity of it.

i actually see the point you are trying to make, but it will be moot by April 12th.

<end of rant>

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)