pixeltracker

On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September

220Basswood
#1On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 12:19am

Sorry if this is old news.  I just saw it.  I knew the odds of me seeing Company and The Music Man September 11th and 12th was slim but I still had hope.  Now that the star of Company has said it won't be back in September and may not come back period, I no longer have any hope.  

Here is what she said and the link:

“Now they say Broadway will be shuttered until Labor Day,” says LuPone, who has been busy social distancing at her home in rural Connecticut. “Well, we all know that’s not true. I think it’s going to come back at the earliest in January and maybe not even then. It’s very, very depressing and very worrisome.”

https://variety.com/2020/legit/news/patti-lupone-donald-trump-coronavirus-1234627923/

fosterfan2
#2On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 6:36am

I found this interview to be a real downer. I was hoping Company and other shows would be back by next spring-March or April. Hopefully,Patti was just having a bad day. Quarantine will certainly do that.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 7:00am

Yes, most of us have been saying that since....they first closed down stuff? (Ok, not that long, but for awhile, anyway )⁷

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#4On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 7:01am

Patti mentioned she was being told possibly January during WATCH WHAT HAPPENS LIVE!, and this was info she was being told about 2 weeks into the shutdown. This September announcement was just an extension and never once implied that Broadway was opening up in September. As always, people read headlines as full articles so seeing the words BROADWAY and SEPTEMBER in a headline, they quickly assume that means Broadway is opening up in September.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#5On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 10:19am

It really wasn't until the 3rd extension of the suspension and Charlotte's interview did they really try to be a bit more transparent to the public that this is really about offering refunds, and not at all to be used as goalpost for reopening. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Mattbrain
#6On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 11:11am

fosterfan2 said: "I found this interview to be a real downer. I was hoping Company and other shows would be back by next spring-March or April. Hopefully,Patti was just having a bad day. Quarantine will certainly do that."

An interview with Patti LuPone that's a downer? You don't say * rolls eyes *

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Zion24
#7On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 11:13am

my understanding from city health officials is that the virus may be under control (relatively speaking) here in NYC area, but its spiking across the country, making tourism dangerous for the foreseeable future- by which point, the second wave is predicted to hit in the late fall/early winter. Opening up Broadway before then seems impractical and sadly unlikely.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#8On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 11:13am

That's what keeps confusing me... "never once implied that Broadway was opening up in September" "this is really about offering refunds, and not at all to be used as goalpost for reopening"

Then why are so many shows still selling tickets for the following week? (not being combative, just trying to understand the thinking)

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#9On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 11:31am

I honestly think we will see theater come back earlier than predicted if there isn't a big Covid spike outside of the current ones. They are opening up states and if by, say, August everything is open except entertainment venues, they are going to almost be forced to let them open. People will already be out and about mingling and in groups. It may not happen but looking at the opening timelines I feel it could. Just my opinion.

Just give the world Love.

Heather4
#10On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 11:40am

jpbran said: "That's what keeps confusing me... "never once implied that Broadway was opening up in September" "this is really about offering refunds, and not at all to be used asgoalpost for reopening"

Then why are so many shows stillselling tickets for the following week? (not being combative, just trying to understand the thinking)
"

It could be for several reasons, including gauging if audience interest is still there for a show.  I think they also just don't know for sure when Broadway will reopen.  September is very tentative, and as optimistic as I try to be, I don't see it reopening until after a vaccine or definitive treatment is developed.  Allowing ticket sales ensures that they have some type of revenue potentially coming in and I believe if performances are forced to be cancelled due to the state not allowing the theatres to reopen, it impacts potential insurance payouts as well.

Theatrefanboy1
#11On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 12:15pm

It wouldn’t surprise me if some of the long running shows maybe started up sooner say in September to test the new approaches and then slowly having others added. As well we know that most of the shows that were still in previews will likely have another 4-6 week rehearsals and tech runs. Before. So if phantom is selling now for December I’d say the rest would follow after that.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#12On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 12:25pm

Covid cases are spiking like crazy across a dozen states that reopened. Open broadway and those people will travel here and we’ll spike, not to mention the possibility of a resurgence in the Fall. I’ve said a million times I’d love for shows to open this year but I just don’t see how that’s possible on Broadway.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#13On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 12:32pm

Theatrefanboy1 said: "It wouldn’t surprise me if some of the long running shows maybe started up sooner say in September to test the new approaches and then slowly having others added. As well we know that most of the shows that were still in previews will likely have another 4-6 week rehearsals and tech runs. Before. So if phantom is selling now for December I’d say the rest would follow after that."

Not happening, as much as you wish for it to. Most of Broadway audiences are tourists, and we don't want them anywhere near our city for the exact reason Jordan just specified. 

Jordan Catalano
#14On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 12:40pm

But also, I still very much believe that West End performances will resume in a few months so if that does happen it will be a very interesting test to see how that goes and what it could mean for us moving forward here. 

matt1982
#15On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 12:42pm

I just read a great Op Ed in the NY Times arguing that America has failed the marshmallow test, the idea that if you give a child 1 marshmallow, but promise them a second if they can wait 15 minutes.  All about delayed gratification.  

I am sincerely hoping that Broadway will pass the marshmallow test.  

Fosse76
#16On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 1:21pm

jpbran said: "Then why are so many shows still selling tickets for the following week? (not being combative, just trying to understand the thinking)"

Insurance. If they stop selling tickets for dates that have not yet been cancelled due to the government-mandated closure, whatever insurance they may be receiving (if any) would come to an end. 

Theatrefanboy1 said: "It wouldn’t surprise me if some of the long running shows maybe started up sooner say in September to test the new approaches and then slowly having others added. As well we know that most of the shows that were still in previews will likely have another 4-6 week rehearsals and tech runs. Before. So if phantom is selling now for December I’d say the rest would follow after that."

If the government tells them they can't open, then they can't open. At this point, once the all clear is given, it would probably be weeks before we see any performances. Aside from the technical and mechanical aspects decaying for months, and union demands demands for a safe-opening, there are other practical considerations, chief among them the availability of the various casts and crew. Certainly there are actors who would not be returning for various reasons, the number of which may affect a show's ability to reopen quickly. 

Until social distancing is relaxed or eliminated, Broadway is closed.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#17On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 1:32pm

I'd love to see the numbers of people who have moved out of NYC. I have a number of actor/singer friends who have moved out of the city - like UHaul and all - and are unsure when they'd be back. 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#18On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 1:41pm

uncageg said: "I honestly think we will see theater come back earlier than predicted if there isn't a big Covid spike outside of the current ones. They are opening up states and if by, say, August everything is open except entertainment venues, they are going to almost be forced to let them open. People will already be out and about mingling and in groups. It may not happen but looking at the opening timelines I feel it could. Just my opinion."

As states reopen, the virus spikes, so...I don't expect Broadway to reopen soon. Certainly not by August or September. I can't see it until at least January. It's awful, but public safety obviously has to come first.

Dollypop
#19On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 2:11pm

I do think performing arts groups will try to be up and running by December. The NYC BALLET depends on 6 weeks of sold-out performances of THE NUTCRACKER for its revenue. The same is pretty much true for Radio City Music Hall and its CHRISTMAS SPECTACULAR. The New York Philharmonic needs the boost its sell-out performances of THE MESDIAH as well.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Jordan Catalano
#20On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 2:14pm

Talking to a friend just a little while ago, I started to wonder, would NY try to do something to get shows running by the end of November for holiday tourists? The amount of money the city has already lost is deveststing so I’m just curious if they might try to make a push to get some tourism bucks for the holidays.

Broadway61004
#21On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 2:15pm

They're also still waiting until it's 100% certain they cannot go on (right now, it's probably about 99.7% certain, but they're still holding out for that .3% chance that a miracle happens).  It's the same thing airlines do: If a massive storm is coming and it seems almost impossible that a flight could take off tomorrow at noon, they're still going to wait to cancel until that morning, just in case the storm patterns change.

Fosse76
#22On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 2:20pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Talking to a friend just a little while ago, I started to wonder, would NY try to do something to get shows running by the end of November for holiday tourists? The amount of money the city has already lost is deveststing so I’m just curious if they might try to make a push to get some tourism bucks for the holidays. "

What holiday tourists? You don't actually believe there will be much tourism this holiday season, do you?

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#23On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 2:23pm

Dollypop said: "I do think performing arts groups will try to be up and running by December. The NYC BALLET depends on 6 weeks of sold-out performances of THE NUTCRACKER for its revenue. The same is pretty much true for Radio City Music Hall and its CHRISTMAS SPECTACULAR. The New York Philharmonic needs the boost its sell-out performances of THE MESDIAH as well."

You'd know better than me, but it's so hard to imagine this. The cold months will be the most likely time for COVID to spread. Can't imagine they can open, no matter what it means economically. I mean, look at the Met. It isn't opening until Dec. 31. And I wonder if that will hold--or who will show up?

matt1982
#24On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 2:34pm

Dollypop said: "I do think performing arts groups will try to be up and running by December. The NYC BALLET depends on 6 weeks of sold-out performances of THE NUTCRACKER for its revenue. The same is pretty much true for Radio City Music Hall and its CHRISTMAS SPECTACULAR. The New York Philharmonic needs the boost its sell-out performances of THE MESDIAH as well."

The NY Philharmonic has cancelled through January 5, 2021.  

If NYC Ballet cancels The Nutcracker, I wouldn't be shocked to see them add fan favorites like Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, etc in the winter and spring to make up for lost revenue.  The Met has done something similar, adding many performances of Boheme and Carmen in February.  

Jordan Catalano
#25On 6/9 Patti Said Company Won't Start In September
Posted: 6/10/20 at 2:35pm

Fosse76 said: "What holiday tourists? Youdon't actually believe there will be much tourism this holiday season,do you?"

In seven months? I’d imagine by then the city will be trying to get tourists to come back, yes  

Videos