News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Charley Kringas Inc

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Member Name: Charley Kringas Inc
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

OH, MARY! Reviews
 Jul 20 2024, 02:33:51 AM

I love how many times this show gets on a roll where the laughter from one joke spills over into the next joke and the energy builds on itself into the most deliriously stupid crescendo possible. I legit couldn’t breathe at some points I was laughing so hard. It’s like if Mark Rylance had dropped acid and chewed on an adrenaline gland before going onstage as Olivia - absolutely unhinged and yet bizarrely refined and always on target. If they don’t make a pro-shot of thi

Biggest disappointments from established teams?
 Jul 15 2024, 03:23:06 PM

Surprised nobody's mentioned Smile, which didn't even get a cast album and only really lives on in regional productions, despite being helmed by Howard Ashman and Marvin Hamlisch (and workshopped at Michael Bennett's studio, no less). I recall reading that Hamlisch essentially bailed on the production after the critics bombed it out.

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
 Jul 5 2024, 07:57:03 PM

This deserves to run for decades. I’ve never been a huge Cats fan but the blending of ALW’s score with ballroom beats makes a shocking amount of sense and the element of play makes perfect sense in this framing. Somehow it frees the strange, jagged melodies - I need this cast album yesterday (d d d d deuteronomy!).

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
 Jul 4 2024, 08:14:23 PM

This is the first production of Merrily I've seen where Franklin is the main character. Groff's performance is absolutely no joke - he wrings Franklin dry, bringing a fully realized and bizarrely empathetic human being to life where there's usually just a shambling vehicle for the Charley, Mary and Gussie show. Even in the first scene, where Frank is typically at his most offputting, Groff gives Frank an aura of piteous entrapment by speaking low and resigned, and when he tells Gu

Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
 Jun 15 2024, 04:51:51 PM

This show's score is jawdropping, oh my god. Though I love Welch's work, I was a little worried that her poetic tendencies would struggle to cohere over an entire evening of musical plotting, but it's so thoroughly enveloping and of a piece that it feels monumental. I do think the last thirty minutes could use some finessing, somehow it just doesn't quite cohere dramatically ("The Damage That You Do" is too lyrically on-the-nose), but America She Breaks is a

YES! BEN PLATT IS REOPENING THE PALACE!!
 May 28 2024, 06:40:43 PM

I don't hate Ben Platt, but it's a little funny to me in a sad way that his broad mainstream success came via the infamy of the movie and the discourse that followed, and the poor sales of his performance at the Palace slot so easily into that narrative that it's kind of hard to ignore.

HERE WE ARE heads to the recording studio
 May 24 2024, 11:46:10 AM

My take on the lack of rhymes in the Bishop's song is that it reflects the fact that he doesn't have it together as a priest. The whole song is flighty and distracted, and his attempts to get a Music Man-style rapport going are met with hostility. It also feels like a joke by Sondheim - by removing his ability to rhyme, Sondheim makes the Bishop totally and utterly out of step with his own role as a musical character, just as God might be said to remove an actual Bishop's abi

LEMPICKA Reviews
 May 21 2024, 03:14:17 PM

JSquared2 said: "Charley Kringas Inc said: "Yeah, the fact that Lempicka has been in workshops for over a decadeis really notable, vs Merrily being put together over the course of (iirc) a year and change. I'm not sure if that more likely indicates that they hit a wall in development or if they're just confident about what they put onstage (or both). That whole opening really felt like the kind of thing too many people have spent too much time hammering away at.

LEMPICKA Reviews
 May 21 2024, 01:55:49 PM

Yeah, the fact that Lempicka has been in workshops for over a decade is really notable, vs Merrily being put together over the course of (iirc) a year and change. I'm not sure if that more likely indicates that they hit a wall in development or if they're just confident about what they put onstage (or both). That whole opening really felt like the kind of thing too many people have spent too much time hammering away at.

LEMPICKA Reviews
 May 19 2024, 09:26:48 PM

I liked a lot of Lempicka, but those sore loser speeches are a bad look. It’s lovely that they have their gaggle of superfans, and critics aren’t always right, but sometimes you just need to take the L and figure out how to move forward.

NYadgal said: "It’s hard to remember. They went on and on and on and on and on and on. . . And on and on and on. . ."

🎶 Broccoli, hogwash, balderdash, it’s not our fault this show bled c

Is "gentle" theater gone forever?
 May 19 2024, 09:14:42 PM

If I’m paying out the ass to see a show on Broadway, I want something more than an amiable little diversion to twiddle my thumbs at.

HERE WE ARE heads to the recording studio
 May 17 2024, 01:29:34 PM

Ugh, it's so wonderful getting to hear this again. I said this in the review thread, but it really amazes me how sure the lyrics are. No filler, no words stuck in just to fill out the meter, nobody sings anything that doesn't sound like something they'd say, all of the punch lines make sense and all of the lyrics matter.

An embarassment of riches. Yes, it's tempting to fantasize about Sondheim working himself to pieces on the second act as he alwa

Who Are You?
 May 15 2024, 07:49:56 PM

And I'm a 30-something gay male theatre operations professional, lol. My mom used to take me backstage when I was a kid and it wasn't the applause that hooked me but the magical sense of creation. It never fails to amaze me how you can take this big black box and invent a whole world that lives inside of it.

Though I absolutely do not have the funds to see everything, or even most things, I've been collecting bootlegs long enough to know how to get the most out of what I ca

Dame Judi : Trigger Warnings
 May 15 2024, 02:19:06 PM

I don't think I've ever attended a performance where trauma trigger warnings were included in the pre-show speech, typically they're just on the website in their own section, often with the details hidden behind a drop-down interface. Obviously lots of people have very esoteric triggers that can't be reasonably included but a general inclusion of common triggers can't hurt. It's one thing to "be shocked, to be arrested out of ourselves" as Dench puts it, and

Broadway must ditch musical film adaptations for original stories
 May 15 2024, 12:22:47 AM

caveman one: so anyway, that my story

caveman two: that good story, thog. make me want do this. [bangs rocks musically]

caveman one: you adapt thog. owe royalty to thog.

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/12/24
 May 14 2024, 04:11:07 PM
Suffs!
LEMPICKA closing May 19
 May 14 2024, 03:08:23 PM

The fact that they didn't release Don't Bet Your Heart ASAP is insane to me, that song gave me goosebumps from from the first note to the last.

The Historians, the Rape Apologists, and the Bolsheviks: The most absurd lines from Lempicka "critics"
 May 14 2024, 02:54:03 PM

I think Lempicka is awkwardly trapped between trying to celebrate her life and using her life story as a jumping-off point for broader commentary. A big part of the show's advertising was all about bringing Lempicka herself back into focus as a historical figure who was unfairly sidelined, but when so much of it is fictional, it blurs the portrayal.

The awkward fluctuations in tone and clumsy staging also make it harder to ignore the structural flaws. Hamilton has a wide assortment

Scott Rudin returns:
 May 13 2024, 06:24:30 PM

Impeach2017 said: "Newsflash: many of the greats of the theater were not nice people!"

"Other than the poop smeared on the bread, the sandwich was delicious!"

Any new DORIAN GRAY rumors?
 May 13 2024, 03:40:36 PM

Very curious to see if they make any changes in transfer. I thought it was fantastic, but it would benefit from some judicious editing (the dinner scene in the first half and the chase at the end could both be snipped down, imo).

They do a brilliant job of shaping the text in a way that prevents it from feeling foregone, though, and I loved the visual theme of the flowers multiplying until they're this overwhelming, cloying force of artifice. That scene towards the end in Lord

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You