News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for marcslope

Member Name: marcslope
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

A LETTER TO THREE WIVES - THE MUSICAL
 Nov 29 2018, 03:08:02 PM

I recall a long-ago interview with Cherry where he did, in fact, cite this one as an inspiration for the series.

Favorite Biography Musical?
 Oct 26 2016, 06:48:18 PM

"Fiorello!", maybe? And it may not be my favorite, but "Ben Franklin in Paris" is really awfully good, and worthy of staging.

Best improvisation moments
 Oct 26 2016, 06:46:51 PM

Bebe Neuwirth in "Chicago," when it was still at Encores. She was finishing "When Velma Takes the Stand" and did a wrong dance step, so she ended the number about two seconds after the button. She glanced up at James Naughton and rushed, "This is my new finish, Billy, how do you like it?" Terrific.

What are the worst musicals you ever saw
 Aug 19 2016, 12:53:07 PM

The Secret Annex. Off-Broadway musical of The Diary of Anne Frank, in the '90s.

On Broadway, maybe, The News.

NYC Fringe Festival 2016
 Aug 17 2016, 04:46:07 PM

Just reviewed The Radicalization of Rolfe, for nytheatreguide.com. Didn't like it much. (The Times critic did, this morning.) Reviewing Rent Control tomorrow.

Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
 Aug 17 2016, 04:06:10 PM

The 1960 City Center Finian's Rainbow. Superior sound, more complete, and wonderful Jeannie Carson instead of Ella Logan with her mannerisms and fake burr.

Vocal/ Lyrical Mistakes on Cast Recordings
 Aug 12 2016, 04:49:33 PM

She has interesting vocal tics all over the album. My favorite is "Aaaahhhh.... ladda blag dulie... radda blag dulie... I'll flicker then flare up." She means, "I'll light up like a light, right up like a light." It sure doesn't come out that way. 

Musicals Most Love But You Don't
 Sep 9 2015, 06:34:21 PM

1776. The score, I think, is dreadful. The book, always praised as one of the best ever, I just don't get. A lot of big words and faux wit. Fans say oh, it's so suspenseful even though you know how it's going to end, I'm not in suspense for a minute.

Performers that were ill on cast recordings.
 Sep 9 2015, 06:29:11 PM

Nancy Dussault said in some interview or other that she was quite sick recording "Bajour," and begged them to change the date, but they wouldn't. She sounds good, but you do notice some ungainly head voice-chest voice transitions, especially on "Love Is a Chance."

What is the most underrated musical of all time
 Jan 18 2013, 05:16:40 PM
Juno.
Brilliant Missed Casting Opportunities
 Jan 31 2012, 04:48:45 PM
Charlotte Rae as Agnes Gooch. Imagine her knocking "Gooch's Song" out of the park
Shows You Loved, But Hated By The Critics?
 Jan 2 2012, 08:19:41 PM
going way back
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Carmelina
The Supporting Cast

monologues from musicals
 Dec 19 2011, 08:35:11 PM
The finale to Ben Franklin in Paris. Honest. All spoken, and quite moving. Hear it on the OBC.
I may be old, but I was able to see....
 Nov 29 2011, 11:50:08 AM
Merman in the Annie Get Your Gun revival, at the National in D.C. I was seven. What I remember most of all is "Old Fashioned Wedding." She and Yarnell kept encoring it, and every time, she did it bigger. The audience couldn't get enough.

First show ever was "I Married an Angel" in stock, with Don Ameche, Taina Elg, and Margaret Whiting. A good start.

Your Most Hated Musical
 Nov 16 2011, 08:14:13 PM
1) La Chiusa's The Wild Party
2) La Chiusa's Marie Christine
3) La Chiusa's First Lady Suite
4) La Chiusa's Bernardo Alba

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You