News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for carolynbrooks

Member Name: carolynbrooks
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Tony Noms Are Not Paradise
 May 18 2022, 08:34:42 AM

JBroadway said: "carolynbrooks said: "JBroadway said: "@carolynbrooks – normally I hate when people throw around petty accusations like this toward new users, but you’re giving off the strong impression that you just joined this message board to revel in the failure of Paradise Square."

Certainly not! the failure of this show was predestined by a boring book, cheesy songs, and a crooked producer
"

You

May 17 2022, 05:30:56 PM

JBroadway said: "@carolynbrooks – normally I hate when people throw around petty accusations like this toward new users, but you’re giving off the strong impression that you just joined this message board to revel in the failure of Paradise Square."

Certainly not! the failure of this show was predestined by a boring book, cheesy songs, and a crooked producer     

May 17 2022, 02:10:28 PM

CarlosAlberto said: "I take that back, your whole post is melodramatic."

Aha, an entire company that went bankrupt based on cooked books, millions lost , not to mention the demise of his last company , Cineplex, now that is drama Carlos!          

May 17 2022, 01:53:37 PM

With the past week grosses of just $ 234,000, reflecting a bump of just over 15% from the previous week, the 10 nominations and expensive NY Times ads will not save the show. The question for Drabinsky and his investors now is how much blood in the streets do you want to see?  The road to the Tony's using a below average marketing spend combined with weekly losses, will cost investors an incremental $2 million. And for what? Even multiple wins will not help this show. This becomes a

Do Tony Nominations Deliver a Box Office Boost?
 May 13 2022, 01:44:31 PM

I would have to say no. In a sample test of  available inventory for key shows on May 21 and May 28th that did not already have a strong trajectory, the result has been anemic. Prime example, Paradise Square, 10 nominations and 70% of the house is available for both Saturday evening  performances.           

Paradise Square Marketing Fail
 May 13 2022, 12:50:37 PM

Here is the most is the most intriguing thing:  Drabinsky's partner in crime on this show is Peter LeDonne, of Ash LeDonne and later LeDonne Wilner, the ad agency that abruptly closed after LIVENT tanked. LeDonne is a seasoned ad guy, no money might be the issue but something else is wrong - is there no ad agency involved? The sparse marketing is wallpaper and really dull and unimagined.            

PARADISE SQUARE WHAT AM I MISSING ?
 May 10 2022, 05:16:12 PM

and with a gross of $196,000 last week - who is ordering what shiva meal ?  

May 10 2022, 05:08:27 PM

yes, I have the seen the show twice , a  few stellar performances - but beyond that - dull and quite uninspired.  

May 10 2022, 12:18:13 PM

I am sure that those more attune to Broadway history and Tony voter eccentricities can weigh in - BUT, a show that is not selling , has horribly dated and invisible marketing, dim prospects for touring and was hardly a critical darling  garners 10 nominations? Perhaps it's subject matter, or Drabinsky style vote courting, guilt or just a plain weak season, regardless, who will now pay for subsequent weeks of limp grosses and print ads, not to mention lightbulbs for that lamp post? Is

PARADISE SQUARE GROSSES
 May 4 2022, 09:06:02 AM

No crystal ball required. With last weeks gross of $206,000 and a capacity of 54%, there is no likely way this production can survive even the potential of a slew of Tony nominations next Monday. A double page ad or two and post opening buzz has sadly not helped . The curse of mixed reviews and that damn lamp post..           

Paradise Square National Tour
 Apr 26 2022, 02:24:13 PM

Auggie27 said: "$253,000+ last week."

That gross says it all - post reviews, post covid full week. This is  about hanging on to Tony noms and possible awards show. However, if it does not get a Best Musical nom, it's all done.    

Apr 26 2022, 11:43:22 AM

The marketing including the hilarious lamppost website (keep waiting for Mary Poppins to fly in) remains dated, meagre and out of tune with how people buy tickets today. The double truck ad that ran this past weekend loaded with quotes and an ensemble cast pic had no soul or promise . Yes, the purpose was to try and communicate  ahit show, but it looked like saloon wallpaper. There is no reason to go. The creative 101 of selling a new brand filled with interesting characters has been aba

Apr 26 2022, 06:11:43 AM

This week ,  the producers  will   announce  a    national tour. Casting   agents  were  getting calls  to make proposals. This is staggering given the mixed reviews and limited grosses.                                  &n

WILL PARADISE SQUARE SURVIVE?
 Apr 20 2022, 12:19:20 PM

I am going to see the show on the weekend again , but I heard from friends last night, that the seats were either upgraded to fill the orchestra, more comps  and that cast energy was not strong. It is possible that they need a few days to ramp up after being shut down for an extended time, but the bigger issue is that there is simply no buzz on the street and that this will not be a tourist pick. At to the woes, that any new reviews such as VOX below are not favorable. Given the weekly nut, there is simply no way to turn this around. If you had bad reviews and the audience loved it and word of mouth was huge - perhaps. But this is now a perfect storm of inertia, lack of capital and quicksand. 

https://www.vox.com/culture/23020581/suffs-paradise-square-review-post-hamilton-historical-musicals

https://www.otdowntown.com/news/what-happened-to-garth-drabinsky-s-comeback-HJ2029977

Apr 19 2022, 08:34:47 AM

"Garth has made a nice living". No truer words, as the show experiences zero gravity grosses weekly, I would venture to guess that he is the only one , maybe Ledonne , who has taken exorbitant weekly salaries aside from his luxury hotel suite. Yes, so let's have a cast album so he can take additional producer fees. Alvin Bragg do you have your ticket yet?                

PARADISE SQUARE will release an original Broadway cast album
 Apr 18 2022, 05:08:19 PM

itsjustmejonhotmailcom said: "Anyone else find it odd that they didn't announce a record label or distributor? That's usually in the press release for a cast recording."

Mr. Drabinsky, with some exceptions, self distributes and produces to control the rights. For Showboat, he would pair the CD with bbq sauce and southern recipe cookbook.         

Apr 18 2022, 02:45:32 PM

I think that @ErmengardeStopSniveling has been so well informed and articulate on this thread. Regardless of JK's stellar performance ( I have seen her twice , thanks to cast comps), i would venture to guess that this show will never be remounted or produced again. Unlike Ragtime that had a better score and book, this show is not universally appealing or accessible.               

PARADISE SQUARE will release an original Broadway cast album
 Apr 18 2022, 11:05:04 AM

I hope the cast and engineers will wear  masks. This show can't afford another Covid shut down.    

Apr 18 2022, 08:49:56 AM

It is so bizarre that they would invest in cast album over marketing dollars to save the show. This is all one producer's ego. shame .     

Apr 13 2022, 09:46:46 AM

With a gross of $80,000 last week (aside from the Covid  closures), the lowest gross on the board, I am not sure how this production can recover from a plague, mixed reviews, cast inertia, and lack of sales. If it can, it will be Broadway history, but the strategy of betting the house on Tony nominations will not save the day. History dictates that even Tony nominated best musicals and some best performances noms will not save a show when demand is at crippling pace. 

It is s

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You