News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for SydneyBristow

Member Name: SydneyBristow
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Netflix's MATILDA: THE MOVIE MUSICAL - News & Discussion Thread
 Dec 7 2022, 10:48:49 PM

Triumphant History of Matilda (Wait in the Wings)

Re-watched this in anticipation of the movie.  This was one of my favorites (the channel Wait in the Wings/Brendon Henderson does an incredible job with theater history).  Most of us have been rooting for Matilda the Musical early on, and I feel this video's history facts make it even more special.  Especially the way Tim Minchin was looped in again, a decade after his initial interest!

Great Comet - Shotgun Players (Berkeley)
 Nov 24 2022, 02:23:16 PM

Did anyone see the 11/17 Livestream?

I plan to Livestream on 12/01 (thanks for advice bear88 and Kitsune).  Just wanted to check if it's a good watch or if there were any tech issues.

Great Comet - Shotgun Players (Berkeley)
 Nov 9 2022, 05:02:10 PM

For first ever viewing:  this Livestream, or wait until I can see it staged in person somewhere (which could be years later)?

This show is high on my radar.  I've only listened to a bit of the opening number- I felt this was one to "experience" without knowing much upfront.  Had tickets to see it in SoCal this summer, but the show got canceled.  Seems it doesn't get staged often, so there may not be opportunity to see it in person in the near futur

Constance Wu, Finn Wittrock, Anna Camp to lead North American premiere of 2:22 A GHOST STORY
 Nov 4 2022, 11:13:19 PM

Seating recommendations?  Given the mixed feedback on content, to take the trip to LA, I'd appreciate insight deciding between these "value" areas:

Orchestra- pretty rear and way off to the side (exe Row T, Seat 5)
     or
Mezzanine- front but way off to the side (exe Row A, Seat 2)
(concern is Mezzanine looks waaay far back in photos)
     or
Box- super side view, but at least much closer to stage (esp Mezz 2nd

COME FALL IN LOVE - THE DDLJ MUSICAL Coming To Broadway During 2022-2023 Season
 Oct 8 2022, 08:30:12 PM

Extended through 10/23!  This show is pure joy.

www.theoldglobe.org/pdp/22-season/come-fall-in-love

COME FALL IN LOVE - THE DDLJ MUSICAL Coming To Broadway During 2022-2023 Season
 Sep 8 2022, 10:38:43 PM

If you're in the CA area, I highly recommend getting tickets to this show:  www.theoldglobe.org/pdp/22-season/come-fall-in-love

In 1 word:  it was a delight!  I plan to write a more detailed review, but I echo many of bruzson's thoughts. Of the last 3 Broadway-bound shows I saw in SD (Almost Famous, Lempicka, Come Fall in Love) which were all good, I'm rooting for THIS one most to find an enduring audience on Broadway.

Binoculars Recommendation?
 Aug 21 2022, 03:16:54 PM

BrodyFosse123 said: "Seriously now. Just read the consumer reviews on this link and you’ll get your answer in minutes. Each of these listed has a handful of reviews from people who bought the item. This message board is the worst place you should be asking. cheeky

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=opera+glasses+binoculars&i=electronics&crid=198DEMAV3UTY0&sprefix=Opera+%2Celectronics%2C154&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_6_6
"

Quite the opposite.  Every product these days has equally good and bad reviews, lots of times from people who have tried the product maybe once.  Also fake reviews.  This message board is full of theater aficionados who go to a lot of shows and are very particular (as am I) about things like seating and view. 

So I would value a rec from someone on this Board above random reviews.  But from someone who owns a pair they've used and really like.  If you don't own/use binoculars, I'm not sure why you'd feel compelled to respond to this thread with a random list.  I didn't ask for guidance on how to conduct a Google search :)

Aug 21 2022, 02:17:19 PM

Fan123 said: "If you can, I would recommend trying a pair or two in person before you buy. I found that a pair which seemed to be the best in theory, didn't give me as clear of a view as another pair, for some reason."

So what is the pair that gave you a clear view?  :)

Aug 20 2022, 10:21:00 PM

BrodyFosse123 said: "https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1311&_nkw=opera+glasses&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_FS=1&rt=nc&_odkw=hanging+light+fixture&_osacat=0&Color=White&_dcat=117503&LH_PrefLoc=1&_udhi=75"

Thanks Brody, but (at least for me) this link shows a list of binoculars, in a variety of styles and brands.  Is there one in particular you recommend?

Binoculars Recommendation? From Someone Who Uses Them, Please
 Aug 20 2022, 03:39:40 PM

Any recs for binoculars / opera glasses?  Links appreciated, if possible.

LEMPICKA Pre-Broadway at LaJolla - News & Discussion Thread
 Jul 13 2022, 02:57:23 AM

RippedMan said: "I would love to drive down to see this. Any discount codes or anything? Just curious. Never been down there before."

Online Rush Tickets - Save 50% on remaining seats for a performance! Tickets available beginning 3 hours prior to the performance start time, day-of. Enter the promo code LEMPICKARUSH to access a limited number of Online Rush seats, valid in Area 1 and 2 seating. Must be purchased online. https://lajollaplayhouse.org/show/lempicka/

It's not a large venue, so I'd say even the back row P is great!  Nice full view of the set.  I'd suggest a seat as close to center if possible, but all views should be good.

Allow a little extra time for parking:  https://lajollaplayhouse.org/plan-your-visit/parking/

LEA MICHELE to do 6 nights a week in FUNNY GIRL while Benko does 2
 Jul 1 2022, 02:21:00 PM

The only source I trust is the Animatronic Patti.  Has it been yell-confirmed?

Broadway will be
 Jun 23 2022, 03:28:42 AM

Haven't seen the big * of Broadway's mask mandate addressed - "except when eating and drinking."

So all this time, a (perhaps large) portion of the audience was NOT masked 100% of the time in theaters.  From what I observed, lobby and bar areas would get pretty crowded with unmasked patrons.  Even if you did not participate, you'd have to go by/through those unmasked crowds to get to a restroom.  Or there were routinely unmaske

COMPANY To Close On July 31, 2022
 Jun 21 2022, 10:40:23 PM

Company's Tony performance is the ONLY one not uploaded to the CBS YouTube page... been wondering why.  Even if this closing was known/planned (by the powers that be... as most of us are shocked), wouldn't they want to drum up publicity for the last few weeks?  Or just have this preserved in Tony/musical history?

The Minutes Preview Thread
 Jun 18 2022, 12:50:10 PM

Could you (or anyone who's seen it) please spoil the actual reading of the minutes?  What happened at that last meeting that's being covered up?

Please PM me or post with a Spoiler Alert!

Circle Jerk
 Jun 17 2022, 03:27:53 PM

Has anyone seen Circle Jerk?  Intrigued because it sounds so creative... but is the humor very crude?

www.theatermania.com/off-off-broadway/reviews/review-circle-jerk-fake-friends-foley-breslin_93913.html

PARADISE SQUARE reviews
 Jun 13 2022, 11:39:32 AM

starlightlocamotion said: "Where is the best place to sit for this? Are the far sides of front mez okay for this show?"

I'd avoid the last 4-5 seats on each side of the front mez because of how the lights are hung protruding from the box seating.  To me, it's distracting in the sightline.  The rest of the front mez (especially row A) is great to take in this show.  The overhang of mez is not way far from the stage.  https://seatplan.com/new-york/barrymore-theatre/  (Click C23 photo to see what I meant about lights/bars from the boxes.)

Joaquina sings "Let It Burn" from the very very front of the stage, so it's unmissable from most seats.

The DANCING is a highlight of this show! 

New York Times Survey of Tony Voters
 Jun 12 2022, 03:08:38 PM

Jennifer Simard deserves the Tony!  Her acting choices made Sarah the standout female character.

If anyone else were playing Joanne (giving the exact same performance as Patti, but without Patti's name and status), I believe Jennifer Simard's Sarah would win over Joanne.

Company
 Jun 12 2022, 02:47:15 PM

Probably unpopular opinion... but I think Jennifer Simard deserves the Tony.  Her acting choices made Sarah the standout female character.  In general in this version, it seems Joanne is a less interesting/less meaty role (maybe also due to Jennifer's acting).  If it weren't "the Patti LuPone" playing Joanne, I think the Tony would go to Jennifer tonight.

Agreed that Claybourne Elder absolutely deserved a nomination.

Delete
 Jun 7 2022, 06:22:17 PM

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You