News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for PipingHotPiccolo

Member Name: PipingHotPiccolo
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Is Cabaret the next Chicago?  May 12 2024, 11:46:24 PM

in addition to all the myriad reasons outlined here why Cabaret will not be the next Chicago (two less lavish Cabarets, one with major Hollywood celebs leading them, have run/closed since this first production first opened...) theres also this:

subject matter. Cabaret is alot to take in-- both from the overtly sexual decadence to the Holocaust of it all. Its not a fun distraction for hoards of tourists from Denver and Manchester etc. without that tourist trade of people who are not nec

HELL'S KITCHEN Reviews  May 12 2024, 03:57:02 PM

im guessing its a combo of both-- the lead is probably the busiest role in the piece with the most stage time/choreo, but the show is meant to stop dead in its tracks for Sho Beans vocal pyrotechnics. Like if shes not in form, I dont see her being able to fake it.  very curious to hear how Vivino did. 

PATRIOTS Previews  May 11 2024, 10:53:22 PM

as others have said, this is a very adequate and certainly engaging piece, but it never really takes off. it actually reminded me of The Crown--compelling retelling of historical facts, but nothing all that earthshaking in terms of writing or ultimate message/thesis.

and thats ok, i guess. Stuhlbarg is magnificent from start to finish. He is always playing such unseemly characters on TV that he could get lazy with his "greedy bad guy" take but he doesnt, he finds a way to be

THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  May 6 2024, 08:25:52 PM

that GMA performance wasnt half bad (though sounds like Jordan struggled with that note at the end).

THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies  May 5 2024, 12:11:33 PM

i actually didnt think it was all that predictable- the "reveal" at the end was a neat trick, and a show highlight. i just found it dull and unfunny. but im glad others are enjoying it, and i hope this cast stays employed for as long as possible, wishing them all the best.

THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies  May 4 2024, 11:40:38 PM

sorry, a mess. i had hoped that it would be silly but at least funny, engaging. nope. whats so surprising is that this is an original story, yes? meaning, its not a retelling of a cheesy old movie plot that doesnt make a ton of sense, its a new original story that doesnt make a ton of sense. god the story/writing here makes Hells Kitchen seem like Shakespeare.

what hells kitchen has going for it are those banger songs that glide us along- even the lesser known numbers just pop. huey le

LEMPICKA closing May 19  May 3 2024, 06:01:11 PM

i agree that the backlash and derision here were way overstated- its score is very solid and is performed wondrously. it deserved a tony nomination as much as the book did not. 

but the historical inaccuracies are frustrating--- Evita took lots of creative license and whitewashed the Perons' fascism (and flirtations with nazis) but the core story was solid: power hungry woman rises up out of nowhere with military husband, country falls in love with her. 

here the c

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!  May 3 2024, 01:11:33 AM

posted some of this in the other thread but:

Musical: its a shame Here Lies Love, flawed as it was, didnt make the cut. Days of Wine Roses not making the cut surprised me based on the intense love for this show, but I thought it was dull as hell so no love lost here. 

Play:  Based on what I've heard, it feels somewhat political that Paula Vogel's pedestrian play beat out the toast of London (Patriots)

<

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  May 3 2024, 12:58:29 AM

Thx for this correction. I thought W4E was fine, appealing, ok, but i had more fun at Lempicka, and was more moved by Notebook... the best thing about W4E was Paul Alexander Nolan who was overlooked. All very odd.

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024  May 1 2024, 11:48:15 PM

thoughts:

Musical: No real surprises here, though its a shame Here Lies Love, flawed as it was, didnt make the cut. Days of Wine Roses not making the cut surprised me based on the intense love for this show, but I thought it was dull as hell so no love lost here. All the love for Hells Kitchen is understandable, its a fun night with insane performances, but the notion that this book was nominated for anything is just... hard to stomach. Similarly, the idea that W4

2024 Tony Predictions  Apr 25 2024, 12:00:27 AM

My guesses (without benefit of Gatsby, Mother Play reviews)

Play: Stereophonics, French Republic, JaJa, Patriots

Musical: Suffs, Hells Kitchen, Outsiders, Illinoise, Wine/Roses

Play Revival: Appropriate, Enemy of the People, Purlie, Mary Jane, Doubt

Musical Revival: Merrily, Cabaret, Tommy, Spamalot, Gutenberg

Actor Play: Leslie Odom, Jeremy Strong,

UNCLE VANYA 2024 Broadway Reviews  Apr 24 2024, 11:43:29 PM

i know im in the minority, but i thought this was a solid season. Even ignoring some incredible stuff Off Bway (Dead Outlaw, JOB, Connector, all thrilled me), Hells Kitchen, Suffs, Outsiders were all solid in very different ways despite their obvious flaws. I enjoyed Lempicka and Here Lies Love, too (and I havent seen Illinoise yet, which people have gone nuts over).  

And Stereophonics, French Republic, Jaja, were all fantastic new works, I enjoyed even the more pedestr

UNCLE VANYA 2024 Broadway Reviews  Apr 24 2024, 10:19:24 PM

Variety was v positive, and Green in NYT was mixed but hardly dismissive or harsh. He calls it a fun night out at the theater and says there are a hundred things to like about it. These are better than what I was expecting based on tepid WOM

Feel stressed when arriving to the theatre?  Apr 24 2024, 09:57:24 PM

BdwayLife said: "
I not confused PipingHot. I understand the difference between being yelled at personally and a screaming staff member directing foot traffic. But, this difference doesn't matter, and wasn't the point to begin with. Neither are pleasant. I rarely post on here (visit daily, and read though!) and it's responses like yours which reiterate my hesitancy to spark conversation."

I dont think my response was all that harsh, which confirms a

Feel stressed when arriving to the theatre?  Apr 24 2024, 08:39:27 PM

BdwayLife said: "
I never mentioned this in my original post, but, I find intermission quite bad.At Tommy, one staff member was literally screaming as loud as she could, “GENTLEMEN LINE UP HERE, LADIES GO TO THE LEFT, LADIESGO TO THE LEFT, GENTLEMEN LINE UP HERE, LADIES GO TO THE LEFT, LADIES GO TO THE LEFT…” over and over and over and over. I saw many in the line having a visceral reaction to her, like, WTF? Again, I don’t envy their jobs—getting

STEREOPHONIC Previews  Apr 24 2024, 05:29:00 PM

i went in with sky high expectations based on word of mouth and reviews, so i was *slightly* let down---Act II dragged a bunch in particular-- but overall this is a ridiculously well-crafted play. just absolutely masterful character/plot development. 

i presume for awards purpose they are keeping her in supporting category, but i thought Sarah Pidgeon carries the play, and could easily be considered its central character. she is doing outstanding work--they all are, but it fel

MARY JANE Reviews  Apr 23 2024, 11:45:57 PM

The Distinctive Baritone said: "Looks like Sarah Paulson now has some real competition for the Tony."

i see why you say that but i find that so hard to believe- McAdams is very good, dont get me wrong, but its a solid debut, not the "best of the season" performance.... tbd

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Apr 22 2024, 02:43:13 PM

Jay Lerner-Z said: "P.S. Sad, and surprising, o read that Christopher Isherwood was anti Semitic."

I studied him a bit in college, and he certainly was, uh, flawed. What stuck out to me was that he wasnt shy about publicizing how Sally Bowles was based on Jean Ross, a real person, but he nonetheless wrote her (and never apologized for writing her) as being thoughtless, apolitical, and in some instances, anti Semitic. She always felt smeared and maligned by him, and h

2024 Drama League Award nominations announced  Apr 22 2024, 12:27:03 PM

Miss10036 said: "I know these are usually odd, but interesting that Maleah Joi Moon didn’t get a nod."

Yes, she and Days of Wine/Roses seem to be the real two absurd snubs that I can tell. And good example of why this list has so little bearing on the actual awards season---they are both locks for their categories, I'd bet.

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Apr 22 2024, 12:19:55 PM

Impeach2017 said: "Green has slammed every Holocaust-themed show in recent memory. Apparently, he feels that they have not properly nuanced the theme, or overly played the hand in a clumsy way. There is also the attitude in America of wishing to kill the messenger and the message at this time."

This is disconnected from reality, in every respect. But the Green part is particularly and demonstrably false. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You