News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for PennClassic

PennClassic Profile Photo
Member Name: PennClassic
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Why don’t actors share roles on Broadway?
 Feb 29 2024, 05:10:48 PM

I always felt that 8 performances per week was very difficult to maintain with consistency, especially with a star-driven production.  It would be better if the schedule for Broadway shows could be reduced to 6 performances per week.  It may take longer to recoup investments but it would help performers to better preserve their energy level and perhaps there would be a significant reduction in absences.

Great songs given to minor/insignificant characters
 Feb 3 2024, 05:51:48 PM

The title song from APPLAUSE performed by Bonnie Franklin who was nominated for a Tony Award.

Most Underrated Tony Award Performances
 Jan 18 2024, 09:09:33 AM

1979: Robert Klein and Lucie Arnaz performing "They're Playing Our Song"....a fun and entertaining number.

Bill Hayes, golden age star of R&H's ME AND JULIET, has died at 98
 Jan 14 2024, 12:18:30 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "RIP to a wonderful singerand a rare remaining star of Broadway in the 1950s (along with Chita, Julie, and a few others).

His one Broadway appearance was ME AND JULIET, and also headlined the tours of BYE BYE BIRDIE and ON A CLEAR DAY, and appeared in TV adaptations of MATTRESS and KISS ME KATE.In summer stock, he appeared in musicals like The Fantasticks, On The Town, and She Loves Me.

More notably, he sang the chart-topping "Ballad of Davy Crockett" and appeared on 2,000+ episodes of Days Of Our Lives (where he was employed at the time of his death).

Here he is with Isabel Bigley in ME AND JULIET, and here's a funclip of him with Jimmy Fallon at age 92.
"

A while back, I was surprised to read Bill Hayes had said that, in all the time that he did ME AND JULIET, he and Isabel Bigley never once had a conversation off-stage.  Interesting that two people can work so closely together on a daily basis and not really connect at all when not performing.

What happened to this alleged MAME revival?
 Nov 29 2023, 07:39:36 AM

The plantation scene and the lyrics in the title song are problematic.  Perhaps Mame could meet a wealthy western rancher and be a "fish out of water" in a ranch setting and the lyrics of the title song could be changed to fit that setting.  Not sure if changes like these would be allowed by the estate of Jerry Herman.

Pre-Broadway sell outs that flopped on Broadway
 Nov 12 2023, 04:39:06 PM

As a fan of Alice Faye, I was thrilled when she was signed to do the revival of GOOD NEWS.  It toured successfully for almost a year but ran for only 16 performances on Broadway (12/23/74 to 1/4/75).

SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS with Debby Boone had a well-received 18 month tour prior to opening on Broadway where it had a 5 performance run (7/8/82 to 7/11/82).

Biggest Tony Award Snubs Ever
 Oct 8 2023, 12:49:38 PM

Lucie Arnaz not being nominated for THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG.

VICTOR/VICTORIA not receiving nominations for Rachel York, Scenic Design and Lighting Design.  I guess the show itself was considered disappointing but nominations for CHRONICLE OF A DEATH FORETOLD (32 Performances) and SWINGING ON A STAR (96 Performances) as Best Musical were puzzling to me.

Movie Adaptions that Got Stuck Out-of-Town
 Oct 3 2023, 07:26:54 PM

In 2002, there was a musical stage version of WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? with Millicent Martin as Jane Hudson in Houston.   I don't believe it played anywhere else.  I saw a Youtube video of Ms. Martin performing one of the songs from the show.

Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
 Aug 5 2023, 09:51:31 AM

Seb28 said: "PennClassic said: "PATTI LUPONE: She may be very talented and an acclaimed performer but there is an intensity and sharpness about her persona that is unappealing to me and, therefore, I have not been a fan."

For me it's the complete opposite. I like her because of her persona. She is honest and sincere, which is rare in showbusiness. A breath of fresh air if you ask me. Unfortunately many people can't handle realnes

Kennedy Center honorees announced
 Jun 27 2023, 09:28:52 AM

I know that the Kennedy Center includes people from various performing arts each year but sometimes the selections and omissions are quite puzzling.  I read that one of my favorites, Doris Day, had always turned down the honor.  I do agree with those who feel that Glenn Close and Liza Minnelli are deserving.  When looking at all the past honorees, I was surprised that Mary Tyler Moore was never chosen.  Just like other awards, I guess the choices will always be ope

Everybody's favorite Tony Awards Performances
 May 27 2023, 07:33:56 AM

Pearl Bailey receiving a special Tony Award and performing "So Long, Dearie" in 1968.

Robert Klein and Lucie Arnaz performing "They're Playing Our Song" in 1979.

Broadway Show League Softball Game (1961)
 May 10 2023, 04:21:03 PM

Check out this video from the BROADWAY SHOW LEAGUE SOFTBALL GAME  in April 1961.  It features Julie Andrews, Lucille Ball, Robert Goulet and Joe E. Brown.  Fun to see!

Most suspenseful play you've seen?
 Apr 26 2023, 07:27:11 PM

WAIT UNTIL DARK 
NIGHT WATCH

Why was Victor/Victoria shut out of the Tony Awards?
 Apr 21 2023, 08:09:00 AM

I saw VICTOR/VICTORIA in Chicago during its tryout run.  I enjoyed the show very much plus I was delighted to see Julie Andrews perform in person.  She was wonderful.  It did go through various changes prior to Broadway, which is typical during a tryout period.  I remember being impressed with the overall look of the show (sets, lighting, costumes) and was surprised that they were ignored by the Tony voters.  I also thought that Rachel York did a great job.&nb

Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
 Apr 8 2023, 05:29:15 PM

My choices for this posting are as follows:

THE BOOK OF MORMON and CATS:  They just didn't live up to my expectations or all the hype and awards (as others have mentioned).  The productions that I saw had wonderful performers but the actual shows left me disappointed.

PATTI LUPONE:  She may be very talented and an acclaimed performer but there is an intensity and sharpness about her persona that is unappealing

Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
 Mar 19 2023, 11:20:16 AM

I would be delighted to see Estelle Parsons receive a Lifetime Achievement Tony.  She is 95 and has had a long and productive theatre career.  She has been in numerous stage productions (Broadway; Off-Broadway; Regional) and has also directed shows.  She has received 5 Tony nominations and was inducted into the American Theatre Hall of Fame.  I think she definitely qualifies for the award.

Which Cast Recording Makes You Happiest?
 Mar 8 2023, 10:04:17 AM

As evidenced by my profile picture, I enjoy the cast recording from WILDCAT.  It has a great overture and fun, spirited songs including the popular HEY, LOOK ME OVER!.  I must give special mention to the song, TALL HOPE, which is beautifully done by the men's chorus.  I think Lucille Ball and the cast did a fine job on the album. 

Raquel Welch has died at the age of 82
 Feb 15 2023, 07:45:26 PM

Raquel was a true example of glamorous star quality and will always be remembered.  R.I.P.

Musings on casting MAME
 Jan 21 2023, 07:59:56 AM

There are several good suggestions here as to who could play MAME.  However, the title number would have to be revised in today's world.  Perhaps Mame could meet a rich rancher from the West and be a "fish out of water" at a ranch locale with the lyrics of the song changed to suit that setting.  

As a Lucille Ball fan, I have watched the movie version several times.  I recall seeing it at a theater in my hometown when

Future Norma’s in SUNSET
 Oct 10 2022, 10:53:06 AM

Since "Sunset Boulevard" has an opera style to it, perhaps Renee Fleming might be a good choice for Norma.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You