News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Anthony Sunday

Member Name: Anthony Sunday
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

FLOYD COLLINS to be given Broadway revival by Lincoln Center
 Jun 11 2024, 08:34:00 PM

sppunk said: "I’ve never heard of this musical. Ever.

But I know Collinswas a spelunker so it makes sense for it go into the cavernous Beaumont stage.
"

Crazy word choice!

Kit Connor and Rachel Zegler to star in ROMEO & JULIET on Broadway?
 Apr 16 2024, 06:13:12 PM

Kit + Rachel with music by Jack Antonoff is a Gen Z wet dream. Regardless of whether they can afford tickets, the buzz around this is going to be insane.

Tyne Daly Withdraws From DOUBT, Amy Ryan To Replace
 Feb 6 2024, 08:54:40 PM

I'd argue that Amy Ryan is more of a draw to the under 40 crowd than Tyne Daly. While that's not necessarily the demo for Doubt it's hard to overstate just how big she is for Gen. Z/millennials.

After Midnight at Paper Mill looks amazing
 Feb 6 2024, 02:38:17 AM

The Paper Mill bots always kill me.

Billie Eilish wants to write a musical
 Feb 6 2024, 02:31:28 AM

CurtisTaylorJr2 said: "Quinn Wilson said: "CurtisTaylorJr2 said: "It would sell tickets based on her fan base showing up, but that doesn't necessarily mean it would be good. A bunch of bland, moody songs from people who most likely would think they could sweep in and become better than Rodgers and Hammerstein are not my idea of a good time. Her and her brother give me pretentious writer vibes."

She’s a great writer, and her and her bro

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES - Opening Night Critics' Reviews
 Jan 30 2024, 10:34:39 PM

I disagree with those who don't like the font; it reminds me of those used in 60s film posters a la Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf or even the namesake material. Not everything needs to be so on the nose.

CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
 Jul 20 2023, 11:36:03 PM

Dig some digging around the above clues and now I'm (maybe unrealistically) hoping for Cara Delevinge. She'd fit the role to a tee, was a main cast member on S2 of ONLY MURDERS IN THE BUILDING, and starred HER SMELL alongside Gayle Rankin.

Another long shot I'd like to see is Zendaya. The connection is pretty loose (both she and Emma Stone have played love interests of Spider-Man), but she and Gayle Rankin also appeared in GREATEST SHOWMAN together. With Hollywood work at a

Josh Gad & Andrew Rannells to star in GUTENBERG! THE (BEST) MUSICAL (EVER)
 Jun 22 2023, 11:45:35 PM

Zeppie2022 said: ""Among those, I included the fact that The Producers was no longer funny. (And I say this as someone who likes The Producers)"

I just don't think the "over the top" depiction of gay people would go over well with audiences today. Would people today think it is funny to see old ladies tap dancing with walkers? Personally, I think the show itself was not that great, the OBC is what made it a huge hit IMO.
"

I hate the

Josh Gad & Andrew Rannells: GUTENBERG and/or THE PRODUCERS revival to Broadway?
 May 26 2023, 03:47:09 PM

I think audiences would be thrilled by a politically incorrect musical coming back to Broadway. My only concern is that if the production fails in any which way, the industry will blame it squarely on its irreverence (and not its performances, direction, etc.)

Tom Brady and "The Gronk" set to star in a live-streamed studio production of THE ODD COUPLE
 Apr 1 2023, 04:13:21 AM

No! I really said to myself "that's great"

ART Evita Casting
 Mar 12 2023, 05:42:18 AM

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "I will be surprised if it is Zegler....she is very in demand in the film world and will only become more so after Snow White

is she really going to do two out of town runs and then Broadway for upwards of a year?
"

Zegler is a bonafide theater girl. The film career almost seems like something that happened as opposed to something she strived for.

I think it's a smart move on her part to tackle Broadway while the kettle i

Who will be the next Broadway Madame Rose?
 Mar 11 2023, 03:00:29 AM

I'd like to see someone without a great deal of in-your-face star power take the role. As exhilarating as Lupone-esque Roses can be, you start to wonder why they never pursued stardom themselves.

SHUCKED On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
 Mar 10 2023, 03:21:21 PM

The discourse around older audiences not appreciating blue comedy is strange to me. I understand it would be a dealbreaker for some, but I'd venture to say the Boomer+ demographic would be more willing to embrace a more politically incorrect show than the modern day Puritans of the Gen. Z crowd would. 

Ru Girls on Broadway
 Feb 16 2023, 03:23:30 PM

Bimini Bon Boulash as Sally Bowles in Cabaret

Alaska as Sylvia St. Croix in Ruthless

BenDeLaCreme as Rosemary Pilkington in How to Succeed

Jan 27 2023, 05:41:12 PM

Jay Lerner-Z said: "Nick Offerman would make a good Herbie, opposite his wife's Rose."

Now you have me thinking about Aubrey Plaza as Louise.

Jan 27 2023, 04:09:05 PM

Countess Luanne, and I'm only half-kidding.

Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
 Jan 14 2023, 06:23:45 PM

Two unknown performers leading a 20-million dollar musical fits nicely into the spirit of the titular song. If they can make it here, they can make it anywhere!

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
 Dec 30 2022, 03:00:51 AM

theatreguy12 said: "Really no need to be offended over some comment I made in jest to a couple of friends about a musical I just saw and happened to love. Hence the wink. But to those who were, my apologies.

It just seems odd that a musical that received such praise from most of the critics, seems to be at least considered good (to great) by most people who saw it would be dubbed "awful." That's quite an extreme. Especially when describing the acting.

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
 Dec 29 2022, 08:10:51 PM

theatreguy12 said: "christinelavin said: "BorisTomashevsky said: "JSquared2 said: "BorisTomashevsky said: "Word is that a priority loan has been taken out to help the show survive.

This show should have opened four months later than it did.But too many gung-ho (can that term still be said?) producers think all is well in the state of Denmark and that the people will simply flock back to the auditorium like it’s 1999.
"

Considering that the co-lead producer is The Shubert Organization, I think they have a better understanding than you of the current marketplace.
"

Lol have you seen the “current marketplace” grosses? Have you seen how many shows have closed recently and how many are on the brink?

Maybe realize that there have been a bunch of bad decisions by a bunch of experienced producers on a bunch of shows, and their “understanding” has led to this situation today.
"

There's an article in the NYT this week about the Metropolitan Opera going through the same thing -- it's post-pandemic problems, and it's affected every type of live entertainment. It doesn't help to criticize people who are doing their level best to stay in business.

For the poster a few minutes back -- I consider J. Harrison Ghee a breakout performer; I was at last night's performance sitting next to a family from PA -- it was the first Broadway show for all five of them (parents, three kids who looked to be 12 - 15 years old). They were out of their minds with joy by the end, standing and cheering and stomping -- an experience I'm sure they'll remember always.

Don't let the relatively few nay-sayers here sway you -- when there's hundreds of theater-goers having a blast every night. Christian Borle is also at the top of his game, and Kevin Del Aguila beguiles the audience from the word go.

In a word? Go!
"

Yes, Christine! I agree! Love your story. And I also agree about Ghee. Ghee was fantastic as well.

I know that theater is a very subjective thing but as I walked out of the theater I couldn't help but think that with what I had just seen, my personal feelings about it, and the reviews it had already gotten, this would be a hit. Upon meeting up with my friends afterwards, I was like, the only way a person couldn't like a show like this is if they were void of a pulse, or just such a theater elitist that they need to be the one to go against the grain on that which is popular.

Imagine my surprise to see the convo turning to money being put into it to keep it afloat. I mean, what? That all goes totally against the critics and even the majority of posters on here, including you and me.

I wish them the best and I sure hope it catches on. Broadway is a diverse place and there is still a place for this kind of musical. I hope.

I understand that flashy and splashy musicals are not everyone's cup of tea, but to deny what is going on up there on that stage, I mean, even if it's not your favorite, or doesn't even make your top 20, I'm not sure how one would not at least consider this good. Even if you want to say "good, not great."

But to call it awful. Don't get it.
"

This rubs me the wrong way. Like you said, theater is subjective. There's no need to accuse those who didn't particularly like the show of being devoid of a pulse or detesting splashy musicals.

AIN'T NO MO to close December 18
 Dec 13 2022, 07:54:58 PM

Singingformysupper said: "I think an additional problem is there's still an unfortunate amount of people who don't want to see a man in a dress. I think they also shot themselves in the foot with the title. It took me a few weeks to realize it wasn't Ain't Too Proud.

Edit: Peaches is in pants, not a dress! But, the point of people not wanting to see someone in drag unfortunately remains.
"

Hmm, I don't know. The marketing I've seen d

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You