News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Ru Girls on Broadway

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#1Ru Girls on Broadway
Posted: 2/16/23 at 11:20am

Obviously, Ru Girls are starting to make an impression on the Broadway and off-Broadway theatre scene, like Jinkx in Chicago, Peppermint in Head Over Heels, Rosé in TItanique, and Nina West in Hairspray (on tour).

(Side Note: Dwayne Cooper, formerly Milan, is in the ensemble of Sweeney Todd)

Are there any Ru Girls you want to see come to Broadway/off-Broadway?

Personally, I’d love Jinkx to come in as the Nurse or Anne in & JULIET at some point. It’s already unabashedly queer and I feel like when that show needs a shot in the arm, she would fit right in.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2Ru Girls on Broadway
Posted: 2/16/23 at 11:24am

Seeing how the audience is there for this, I’d love love love for “Death Drop” to come to the states. It and the sequels have been on the West End and toured the UK with some huge Drag Race alums and the shows are f’n hilarious. There’s no end to who they could get to do short runs in a show like that, swapping out cast members and keeping the audience coming back back back again. 

quizking101
#3Ru Girls on Broadway
Posted: 2/16/23 at 11:28am

I remember someone say that SIX should have a few Ru Girls thrown in - and that would honestly be the ONLY thing that gets me back

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#4Ru Girls on Broadway
Posted: 2/16/23 at 11:29am

Very surprised they haven't tried to bring Death Drop to off-Broadway. Stage 42. Swap the girls out every few months. I think it would sell like gangbusters. Throw in some fun drink specials, etc. Make it an event. 

Jordan Catalano
#5Ru Girls on Broadway
Posted: 2/16/23 at 11:31am

Stage 42 would be a great place for it!

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#6Ru Girls on Broadway
Posted: 2/16/23 at 11:37am

quizking101 said: "I remember someone say that SIX should have a few Ru Girls thrown in - and that would honestly be the ONLY thing that gets me back"

There’s maybe a handful of RuGirls (unless we’re including UK, then maybe another handful) that could legitimately sing and perform in that show. Jan comes to mind, Rosé as well.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Jordan Catalano
#7Ru Girls on Broadway
Posted: 2/16/23 at 11:43am

Yeah unless “Six” implements live auto-tuning, there’s maybe 2 or 3 that could actually do it. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#8Ru Girls on Broadway
Posted: 2/16/23 at 11:50am

I saw Jinx and Bendela here in Chicago and they essentially sold out the Auditorium Theater (so dang pretty), so the reach is massive. I mean, Bob the Drag Queen is opening for Madonna. I'm surprised more producers aren't going that route, but maybe the queens don't want to.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#9Ru Girls on Broadway
Posted: 2/16/23 at 12:00pm

I mean, they make good money doing their own gigs/tours and television appearances, and not many of them are formally trained (the number of contestants who cannot act or learn traditional choreography to save their lives is astounding). Most make a living lipsynching. Of course they could always shoehorn someone in and lower keys or something…

For the queens who are fan favorites, All Stars, or Winners - their single appearance fee is often double or triple what a full 8-show week pays on Broadway. Not always the case, but the famous RuGirls who would actually be worthy casting for the box office would definitely be in that pricing and above. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.
Updated On: 2/16/23 at 12:00 PM

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#10Ru Girls on Broadway
Posted: 2/16/23 at 12:37pm

Ginger Minj does regional theatre in Florida. I think she’d do well as Mama. 

Jordan Catalano
#11Ru Girls on Broadway
Posted: 2/16/23 at 12:43pm

Visage would be good as Mama, as well. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#12Ru Girls on Broadway
Posted: 2/16/23 at 1:20pm

I’d love to see Monet as Momma and she can legit sing. 

quizking101
#13Ru Girls on Broadway
Posted: 2/16/23 at 1:23pm

RippedMan said: "I’d love to see Monet as Momma and she can legit sing."

Isn’t she trained in opera? She could pull off Mary Sunshine as well.

Jordan Catalano
#14Ru Girls on Broadway
Posted: 2/16/23 at 1:25pm

Yes, she’s a trained opera singer. 

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#15Ru Girls on Broadway
Posted: 2/16/23 at 1:32pm

Ginger Minj has done some low-end shows here in Chicago too. She was great.

As much as I love Drag Race, I don't think many of them have the required level of talent. At best the show is a personality competition and at worst... a clothes buying competition. 

An off-broadway run of Death Drop seems like the perfect vehicle. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

marytylermoore Profile Photo
marytylermoore
#16Ru Girls on Broadway
Posted: 2/16/23 at 2:53pm

Imagine what Jinkx could've done in I'll Eat You Last...

Jordan Catalano
#17Ru Girls on Broadway
Posted: 2/16/23 at 2:57pm

marytylermoore said: "Imagine what Jinkx could've done in I'll Eat You Last..."

Considering she was 25 years old at the time, I’m gonna say not much. 

Hairspray0901
#18Ru Girls on Broadway
Posted: 2/16/23 at 3:05pm

quizking101 said: "(Side Note: Dwayne Cooper, formerly Milan, is in the ensemble of Sweeney Todd)."

Dwayne was actually in the cast of Hairspray in the ensemble for a number of years. I believe they were also in Motown the musical. Definitely very talented! 

Anthony Sunday
#19Ru Girls on Broadway
Posted: 2/16/23 at 3:23pm

Bimini Bon Boulash as Sally Bowles in Cabaret

Alaska as Sylvia St. Croix in Ruthless

BenDeLaCreme as Rosemary Pilkington in How to Succeed

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#20Ru Girls on Broadway
Posted: 2/16/23 at 3:28pm

If you all haven't heard, Alaska wrote a new musical called Drag: The Musical that did gangbusters in LA and had a lot of Ru girls and a lot of other just well known musical theater performers. I could see that doing very well at New World or somewhere with the casting changing up every so often. I'm sure they're working on it.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#21Ru Girls on Broadway
Posted: 2/16/23 at 3:59pm

Marcia Marcia Marcia was in Kinky Boots on and Off-Broadway. Blair St. Clair is also getting into the musical theatre/cabaret scene (and did hair for Kinky Boots). Bianca Del Rio was in Everybody’s Talking About Jamie. I bet we’ll see Jan Sport in a show eventually. 

There are many queens who actually are trained singers and actors, so I welcome the crossover.

I remember seeing Dwayne Cooper in the Off-Broadway Smoky Joe’s Cafe and thought he was great. Not surprised he’s in a legit show right now.

OhHiii
#22Ru Girls on Broadway
Posted: 2/16/23 at 4:50pm

HeyMrMusic said: "I remember seeing Dwayne Cooper in the Off-BroadwaySmoky Joe’s Cafeand thought he was great. Not surprised he’s in a legit show right now."

What exactly about an Off-Broadway production of Smoky Joe's Cafe isn't "legit" to you? 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#23Ru Girls on Broadway
Posted: 2/16/23 at 5:01pm

I meant style of show/music. Sweeney is different genre-wise from Smoky Joe’s Cafe (as in legit singing is required). I could tell he was vocally strong in Smoky Joe’s Cafe and therefore it makes sense that he’d be right for Sweeney.

AEA AGMA SM
#24Ru Girls on Broadway
Posted: 2/16/23 at 11:07pm

quizking101 said: "Isn’t she trained in opera? She could pull off Mary Sunshine as well."

Yes, Monet is a classically trained singer, but is also a bass. Mary Sunshine would be a big stretch vocally.

Videos