News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for MidWestTheater

Member Name: MidWestTheater
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

LITTLE BEAR RIDGE ROAD: Metcalf & Mantello, Steppenwolf Summer 2024
 May 13 2024, 07:51:24 PM

I would be shocked if this didn’t extend..unless it’s a disaster of a show. I’m going in previews, because that’s our subscription, but hopefully it’s worth seeing again.  This season, with the exception of The Thanksgiving Play (although well performed) has been really fantastic.

Purpose at Steppenwolf
 Apr 16 2024, 12:18:49 PM

For all of those coming to Chicago for Death Becomes Her over the next month, do yourself a favor and while in town check out the new Brandon Jacob-Jenkins play Purpose at Steppenwolf. It has been extended into May and it is another really fantastic play from one of this countries best playwrights. You know when you step into a Steppenwolf play and see a dining room set-up, ****'s gonna go down. And does it indeed go down, one of the most tense, funny, exciting, brutal dinner scenes

STEREOPHONIC Previews
 Apr 16 2024, 12:01:30 PM

I'm so excited to see this, going on May 31. Since the score to this show is getting raves and could possibly the tony award for best score, were there any other times where a tony award for score went to a play?

BOOP! The Betty Boop Musical - Pre-Broadway Chi
 Dec 5 2023, 06:16:20 PM

I caught this show this past Friday and really went in with no expectations...and I was thoroughly charmed with this whole production. Yes, it has book issues, especially in the second act, but I didn't care. Jerry Mitchell knows how to stage a big production number and there are quite a few in this, and that is when the show just soars. I also agree with everyone here, Jasmine Amy Rogers is giving a "star is born" performance and not just in her singing and dancing, but in her

Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
 Nov 9 2023, 05:56:08 PM

I totally agree that Jonathan Groff's performance was fantastic and as of now, it is the lead male performance (musical) to beat. The only performance that I can see coming in next season that could be a major contender is James Monroe Iglehart for A Wonderful World. Supposedly, it is on track to come in next season, but we'll see. I saw it in Chicago and it is a phenomenal performance in the vein of Audra McDonald as Lady Day or Jessie Mueller as Carole King, where it goes beyond imp

Exciting new production of Chicago
 Nov 1 2023, 11:54:36 AM

It looks like this was directed by Barrie Kosky, who directed one of the most epic pieces of musical theater I've ever seen. His production of Fiddler on the Roof at the Lyric Opera in Chicago was just astonishing. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcCm8WNvuoM

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK?
 Aug 28 2023, 11:48:05 AM

I too saw this in Chicago and agree with everyone that this is a big old mess, but I think there could be some salvation here. I really hope they keep Javiar Munoz, who was hands down the best part of the show. Not just him the actor, but the role of Nigel was the most thought out and fully realized character. He got the two best songs of the show, and it's almost like this was the character Elton John and Shaina Taub were the most interested in. Ironically, kind of like that documentary

The Who's Tommy @ The Goodman
 Jun 16 2023, 10:05:18 AM

I was there last night and was blown away, defintley by the first Act. I always felt the second act kinda loses momentum after the come to my house number. But, that’s a quibble with the show itself, but this production is a stunner. 
I loved the look of this show creating kind of a kubreckian mod 60’s black and white feel with pops of color from different items in Tommy’s life was a brilliant choice, it’s almost like we are watching Tommy’s memory. And

The Who's Tommy @ The Goodman
 Jun 14 2023, 06:03:49 PM

I'm going tomorrow night. I have a friend who went last night and was not the biggest fan, but he had never seen the show, so it was hard to tell if he had issues with the production or show itself. They actually have set up a pinball arcade in the lobby that you can play, with apparently a custom pinball machine for this production. Also, the goodman is selling merch, which I've never seen them do.

Most suspenseful play you've seen?
 Apr 27 2023, 05:34:46 PM

Bug 

A production a few years ago at Steppenwolf with Carrie Coon and Namir Smallwood, the building tension was unlike anything I had seen on any stage.

Santino Fontana and Judy Kuhn in I can get it for you wholesale
 Mar 22 2023, 02:10:39 PM

Just got an email from CSC about this coming int the fall...may have to add it on to my fall trip.

https://www.classicstage.org/2023-24-season/i-can-get-it-for-you-wholesale

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Previews
 Oct 14 2022, 02:32:48 PM

For me Kimberly Akimbo is to Victoria Clark, what Carol Channing is to Hello Dolly or Harvey Fierstein to Edna...where a performer and character mesh so well together, it's gonna be hard imagining different interpretations. However, should the show become a big hit and be around for a while, I would love to see someone like Donna Murphy take on the role, or the show's producer LaChanze ( who still looks 25, which would be interesting). 

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Previewsin
 Oct 11 2022, 05:04:34 PM

I saw the show off-broadway last November and fell in love with it. I found it so charming, funny, and adorable, with a really lovely score. I'm seeing it again a few days after the show opens in November. Who's to say if this show will be a huge hit or flop. I'm sure the reviews will be great, just like they were off-bway or even better depending on changes made. I think who ever is behind the marketing of this show, should really focus on Justin Cooley. Not only is he fantastic

Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
 Oct 7 2022, 05:28:50 PM

I like it as well. Although personally I do like when the characters are front and center, like his Carousel Poster or the recent one he has for Becky Nurse of Salem. I was luckily enough years ago to take his class at SVA, and he's an amazing teacher. Also I dig, who I assume is Arthur in the tree. 

An epic Fiddler at the Lyric Opera House
 Sep 26 2022, 02:11:32 PM

This set is unbelievable, and also it's all real furniture, nothing was built for the show.

A montage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw3WeHUyubY

An epic Fiddler at the Lyric Opera House
 Sep 26 2022, 10:43:40 AM

So over the weekend me and my partner ventured out to the Lyric Opera in Chicago to see a new production of Fiddler on the Roof...and holy cow this may be the most epic production of this classic musical I will probably ever see. With a cast of over 60 people and an orchestra of over 50, I don't think I've ever heard this score more powerful and transcendent. Like most of the Lyric Opera musical productions of the past couple years, this production originated in Berlin with artistic d

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You