pixeltracker

Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony

Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony

Theatrefanboy1
#1Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/8/23 at 8:11pm

After seeing Merrily I’m curious what people’s thoughts are on Jonathan Groffs chances of getting the Tony. I’m assuming he’s almost sure of being nominated (I’m also assuming that that Daniel will be nominated for Supporting as will Lindsey.  ). But what are his chances of winning or is there a dark horse coming in that I’m not seeing

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/8/23 at 8:17pm

I’d say his chances are excellent. Assuming Eddie Redmayne will be submitted in leading along with Brian d’Arcy James and then possible other nominees from Outsiders, Water for Elephants etc. but Groff is loved by everyone and it does seem like this could be his year. And deservedly so. 

Updated On: 11/8/23 at 08:17 PM

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#3Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/8/23 at 9:02pm

I think it’s his year.

RUkiddingme
#4Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/9/23 at 12:02am

I'm not sure which will get him more votes -

a - his incredible performance

b- his popularity with his peers

c - the fact that he's turned a historic flop into a sure fire hit

He should win!

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#5Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/9/23 at 8:30am

Any more word on MERRILY extending? If it indeed closes in March do you think that could hurt Groff's chances?

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#6Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/9/23 at 8:32am

Groff has had such a successful career! I surely hope that this is his year! It brings me so much joy to see a fellow Central Pennsylvanian making it big! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Theatrefanboy1
#7Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/9/23 at 8:44am

Was talking to Jonathan the other day. It sounds like if the sell out continues. They will extend one final time as a “must end” in June.  I hope that they do.  This production deserves all the success. It’s incredible 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#8Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/9/23 at 9:36am

I'm sure he'll be nominated, deservedly so... but I think it's too early to predict winners. 

Truth be told, I'm more invested in Radcliffe finally getting his first nomination! (As he should have for Equus, Cripple and H2S!)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#9Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/9/23 at 9:47am

An extension is a big factor here. If it's closed, surely a nom and maybe a win. If it's still running at Tony time, I'd make him the current favorite.

Huge hit, tremendous reviews, a performance many have said is revelatory in the part, and to paraphrase, it's his time.

Ledaero Profile Photo
Ledaero
#10Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/9/23 at 10:10am

I agree, excellent odds for him to win. I think it'll be a race between d'Arcy James and Groff and it's a toss up. Both beloved by the industry giving career-best performances and a win for either would be legacy wins.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#11Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/9/23 at 10:18am

Award shows are three quarter popularity contests.

Aside from deserving it, he will get it because he is a lovely guy. He has paid his dues. Merit barely comes into it.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

hearthemsing22
#12Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/9/23 at 10:55am

BJR said: "An extension is a big factor here. If it's closed, surely a nom and maybe a win. If it's still running at Tony time, I'd make him the current favorite.

Huge hit, tremendous reviews, a performance many have said is revelatory in the part, and to paraphrase, it's his time.
"

But we all acknowledge someone shouldn't just win an award based on it being "their time" or that a group of people love a performer and think that performer is owed a Tony or anything, yes? We know this?

lopside
#13Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/9/23 at 10:59am

hearthemsing22 said: "BJR said: "An extension is a big factor here. If it's closed, surely a nom and maybe a win. If it's still running at Tony time, I'd make him the current favorite.

"

But we all acknowledge someone shouldn't just win an award based on it being "their time" or that a group of people love a performer and think that performer is owed a Tony or anything, yes? We know this?
"

I'm far more surprised by the narrative around Groff being that he's overdue for a Tony and that if he wins, it would a legacy win of some kind. As a way of anointing a "Broadway star"? Sure. But overdue??

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#14Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/9/23 at 11:10am

dramamama611 said: "I'm sure he'll be nominated, deservedly so... but I think it's too early to predict winners.

Truth be told, I'm more invested in Radcliffe finally getting his first nomination! (As he should have for Equus, Cripple and H2S!)
"

I wonder if they will petition for Radcliffe to be considered as featured (even though he is top billed). That way the two male leads won't have to compete with each other.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#15Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/9/23 at 11:36am

Oh, I'm sure they will. The role is def a featured role. I can't imagine the Tony committee disagreeing . 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

chrishuyen
#16Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/9/23 at 11:45am

hearthemsing22 said: "BJR said: "An extension is a big factor here. If it's closed, surely a nom and maybe a win. If it's still running at Tony time, I'd make him the current favorite.

"

"

We know this, but there have certainly been wins in the past that would seem like they happened just because people felt it was "their time" and the role they won for was "good enough" for them to win the Tony.

Broadway61004
#17Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/9/23 at 12:07pm

Broadway Bob* said: "Any more word on MERRILY extending? If it indeed closes in March do you think that could hurt Groff's chances?"

This is the question. If this extends until the Tonys, then Merrily and Groff are likely the frontrunners. If it closes in March, though, all of a sudden they become longshots given the history of the Tonys (not) rewarding closed musicals.

SondheimTesori
#18Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/9/23 at 1:53pm

Does anyone think Radcliffe could win Featured? I am trying to think of who else would be competitive in that category this year. Also I'm assuming Mendez will be in Lead?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#19Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/9/23 at 2:10pm

I disagree with any sentiment that Jonathan Groff's Tony would have anything to do with feeling overdue (the same way people might think of Kelli O'Hara's "King and I" Tony, when really she should have won for Bridges). I just think it's an absolutely stunning performance and deserves to win in its own right. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#20Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/9/23 at 3:13pm

There are so so many other shows to open before the end of the season. This is way too preamture to predict. 

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

MidWestTheater
#21Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/9/23 at 5:56pm

I totally agree that Jonathan Groff's performance was fantastic and as of now, it is the lead male performance (musical) to beat. The only performance that I can see coming in next season that could be a major contender is James Monroe Iglehart for A Wonderful World. Supposedly, it is on track to come in next season, but we'll see. I saw it in Chicago and it is a phenomenal performance in the vein of Audra McDonald as Lady Day or Jessie Mueller as Carole King, where it goes beyond impersonation. Seriously, when he does the big Louis smile, it melts your heart. Unfortunatley, the show is no where near as great as his performance, which could be in his favor.

kingfan011
#22Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/9/23 at 6:38pm

I'm more curious if Radcliffe will finally get nominated

smidge
#23Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/9/23 at 11:38pm

binau said: "I disagree with any sentiment that Jonathan Groff's Tony would have anything to do with feeling overdue (the same way people might think of Kelli O'Hara's "King and I" Tony, when really she should have won for Bridges). I just think it's an absolutely stunning performance and deserves to win in its own right."

If anyone fit the overdue narrative it would be Brian D’Arcy James. And his performance is also terrific. If I were a voter this would be a very difficult choice.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#24Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/10/23 at 12:58am

smidge said: "binau said: "I disagree with any sentiment that Jonathan Groff's Tony would have anything to do with feeling overdue (the same way people might think of Kelli O'Hara's "King and I" Tony, when really she should have won for Bridges). I just think it's an absolutely stunning performance and deserves to win in its own right."

If anyone fit the overdue narrative it would be Brian D’Arcy James. And his performance is also terrific. If I were a voter this would be a very difficult choice.
"

Well, as far as overdue is concerned, Chip Zien trumps them all.

Updated On: 11/10/23 at 12:58 AM

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#25Jonathan Groffs chances at a Tony
Posted: 11/10/23 at 8:22am

I was at the second Off-Broadway preview and thought there and then that if it transferred, he'd be a major contender for the Tony. I hope it's his year.

Videos