News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for baritonewithtenortendencies

Member Name: baritonewithtenortendencies
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Shows with Ghost writers
 Apr 9 2024, 03:41:12 PM

Theatrefanboy1 said: "I’m curious of Broadway shows that had significant contributions from a ghost writer. I’m vaguely familiar with Harvey’s contributions to hairspray but would love to hear what they were. Any other shows similar?"

Harvey writes about this in his memoir. Basically, a bit after he was signed on to play Edna, he was offered to sit in on the writing team (just like Christian Borle recently in Some Like It Hot) but he actually refuse

Have you ever seen a musical on Broadway that didn't get a standing ovation?
 Mar 23 2024, 05:39:18 PM

Y'know I think that the ubiquitousness of standing ovations is a very American thing. In much of Europe, even in Britain, it's a lot more common for shows to not get standing ovations. Some shows are so spectacular and huge in scale that it's hard not to give them a standing ovation, but here in America we give standing ovations to middle school shows. Freaking middle school plays. And people throw around absolutely absurd compliments. I've had people tell me that communi

Hedwig Fan Casting
 Mar 23 2024, 05:36:00 PM

I think that there's a lot that could be done into the 2010's where the characters' story still made sense temporally, but I think that Hedwig is basically stuck in the nineties through the 2010's. Like I just don't see a production in 2040 having a seventy five year old Hedwig. To be fair, a lot of drag queens and glam rockers cover up aging with makeup and energy, so it can probably still work as a modern day thing for a little while longer, but I really don't think

Baritone and Alto Duets
 Mar 23 2024, 12:02:37 PM

Well I wouldn't call an F# limited as long as it's a high quality F#

As a matter of fact, there are a bountiful number of roles for men and women where the highest notes are an F# and a C5

Excluding the head voice note the girl has to sing (an A#5), Anything You Can Do falls within that range, but you can have a gag where your friend can't sing the highest note or something like that, it's often done and it's very funny

Or you could always do something

Hedwig Fan Casting
 Mar 23 2024, 11:56:24 AM

TotallyEffed said: "As time goes on, Hedwig herself ages.So no one in their 40s or even early 50s is “too old” for Hedwig. If anything, they’re too young!

John Cameron Mitchell will always be the right age for Hedwig. :)
"

I think 60's is too old just because of the physical demands. I think that it's always possible for people anywhere from twenties to fifties to play the role, especially with John Cameron Mitchell emp

Hedwig Fan Casting
 Mar 16 2024, 11:09:54 AM

BrodyFosse123 said: "I wasn't aware that Billy Porter was still in Kinky Boots into 2015, though now that I think about it Harvey Fierstein (who famously performed both Edna and Arnold a thousand times each, granted he wrote both shows and in Edna's case was probably the highest payed actor that whole season)mentioned Billy being especially dedicated so I could see him staying with the show for more than two years.

Fierstein did not write

Billie Eilish wants to write a musical
 Feb 6 2024, 09:37:22 PM

Fun fact: Finneas has called "White Wine in the Sun" by Tim Minchin (the composer/lyricist of Matilda) his favorite song and covered it

Broadway Tenor Baritone Overlap
 Feb 6 2024, 09:33:34 PM

John Adams: "Fach, like sexuality (or most everything in life, really), falls on a spectrum where overlaps occur. Also, some singers, male or female, possess the talent, training, and physical gift to be "bi-fachual" [jk]. In other words, they can utilize their training, and manipulate their physical vocal mechanisms to change the tone color of their voice so they can sound more tenor-like vs baritone, or vice-versa."

You're pretty much right on that, y

Feb 2 2024, 08:57:19 AM

bwaylvsong1 said: "As a natural baritone, I have had to spend years training my upper register in order to have any sort of musical theatre career. In my personal experience, most roles do not fall squarely into baritone or tenor territory, and most men with significant vocal training can sing most roles (with obvious exceptions). As you mentioned, the role of Evan Hansen for example has a very large range that someone who identifies solely as a tenor or a baritone would not be able

Feb 1 2024, 05:25:27 PM

So everybody basically knows that a lot of roles in Broadway musicals overlap between baritones and tenors, since it's so common for Broadway roles to have very wide ranges like Jekyll's A2 to A4, Jean Valjean's A2 to B4, and Evan Hansen's astonishing G2 to C5

I also notice people pointing out a lot how this is obviously different from opera. It's not unheard of for certain baritone roles to use C5's, it's actually pretty common for mo

Actors With Unhealthy Singing Technique?
 Jan 23 2024, 04:01:33 PM

JennH said: "Luminaire2 said: "Laura Bell Bundy really did struggle in her Legally Blonde run. No idea if it was technique or just a voice shredder of
a role.

"

Def more a voice shredder. She doesn't have thegreatest technique on the planet but this roleis absolutely all wrong in terms of vocal pedagogy. Many Elles who came after said thesame. If you wanna know why there was a "reality" show to search for a new Elle after LBB, th

Actors With Unhealthy Singing Technique?
 Jan 22 2024, 09:04:40 AM

qolbinau said: "I don't think Bernadette Peters is known for having particularly strong/classical vocal technique, although I believe she describes a shift in her technique when she learned how to sing "Song & Dance" 8 shows a week.

Not sure how controversial/wrong this is, but Iwonder though if prestine vocal techique can sometimes take some of the expressiveness and individuality out of voices though. Kelli's "To Build a Home" is one of my

Memorable Younger Broadway Performers
 Jan 17 2024, 09:19:20 PM

Anthony freaking Rosenthal 

He was so great in Falsettos and that was like an all star cast comprised of four people who basically won Tonys the next day after leaving Falsettos (Except Christian Borle who won the day before)

The ability for a twelve year old to stand up to and actually share the stage with legends like Stephanie J. Block, Andrew Rannells, Brandon Uranowitz, and Christian Borle is amazing 

And Jason is like the heart of the show 

Most Underrated Tony Award Performances
 Jan 17 2024, 06:45:28 PM

EDSOSLO858 said: "I think you mean 2013’s opening, 2014 was Hugh Jackman merely bunny-hopping his way onto the Radio City stage."

Yes you're correct that was a horrible typo

Most Underrated Tony Award Performances
 Jan 17 2024, 06:04:19 PM

Everybody knows about the greats, and everybody knows Grand Hotel had the best one

Secret Garden, 2014's opening, Miss Saigon, multiple different Gypsys, the list goes on

But I've been watching The Happy Time's 1968 Tony performance a lot recently 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en7C6cLPGsA

Robert Goulet delivers the title track, and it is literally perfect in his voice, I wait on every note and they all sound so flawless and clear and powerful despite the relatively low quality recording 

Michael Rupert as a child, already a star 

David Wayne leading his incredible number with subtle facial expressions that make me completel believe these three men as three generations of a beautiful family

I know the show itself had a lot of disappointing elements, but genuinely you would not guess that just by watching this amazing Tony Award performance 

Are there any other performances like this that don't get talked about enough but are just really great? 

Is Harvey Fierstein's Website Down?
 Jan 13 2024, 07:47:34 PM

Jay Lerner-Z said: "Perhaps he or his team has looked at the visitor numbers and decided it to be not worth the expense. Do personal websites really have any value these days?"

To be fair I was probably one of the only ten people on Earth consistently checking it 

And it was never updated 

Jan 12 2024, 12:09:01 AM

Impeach2017 said: "I understand that he devotes himself to knitting or some such these days. No time for this website thing that you describe."

Quiltmaking and dogs, yes

But he said like a year ago he was writing four things and somebody was developing a TV show for him 

Which last time he had a show it was immediately cancelled but still that's possible

And as for his writing

Well remember last time he said "I have four thin

Jan 8 2024, 10:01:26 PM

A few days ago, it was up. And not too long ago his paperback of his memoir was released. And just a few weeks ago he was performing at a benefit. Why does his website seem to now be an unregistered domain? 

Is There Community Theater In Heaven?
 Dec 28 2023, 12:45:55 AM

Mr. Wormwood said: "BeingAlive44Ever said: "Mr. Wormwood said: "BroadwayNYC2 said: ""but they'll be dead real soon"

Figure out what part of your brain told you to type this, then lobotomize it.
"

Especially when talking about people like Rachel Chavkin, Christian Borle, Anthony Rapp and Kristin Chenoweth...?

Basically they're just dream casting roles and paying no attention to the topic.
"

Falsettos Movie (And Spelling Bee)
 Dec 27 2023, 06:15:59 PM

Kad said: "It’s very possible there was some work done on a screenplay or that rights were acquired, which happens all the time for projects that never end up seeing the light of day. It’s also possible Finn was talking out of his ass, as he is prone to doing so. But obviously nothing of note ever came of it, twenty years later."

I feel like people who aren't often interviewed, especially composers since most of them don't perform much, often say

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You