News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for shortydudette

Member Name: shortydudette
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Casting by Race
 Aug 3 2006, 03:07:41 PM
Akiva,

Thanks!
That's a good point about Once on this Island, although I think the story is probably more powerful if told by those directly affected.

When I said that the Joanne-Maureen couple brings with it an implication of Maureen's open-mindedness, I didn't mean that a lesbian, same-race couple is therefore closed-minded and conservative. Or a heterosexaul same-race couple. But it doesn't project the liberal rebelliousness that an interracial couple inevitably does

Aug 3 2006, 02:51:23 PM
wordedgrace - Actually, I believe "black" is more PC than African-American now, as not all "African-Americans" actually identify themselves as at all African.
 Aug 3 2006, 02:14:34 PM
Oh god, that was so long. Sorry!
 Aug 3 2006, 02:13:22 PM
RightAmerica's board name and profile are ridiculous enough for him to either be joking or crazy. Either way we should disregard him.
I feel very strongly about this, I'll try to make it as concise as possible. Let me preface by saying that, although I feel very strongly, I don't have a black-and-white opinion on the raceblind casting issue. And that was seriously no pun intended. Really, I promise.

I think it's important to realize that changing the race of a character does

Worst. Lyrics. EVER.
 Feb 28 2006, 09:31:06 PM
Again, apologies if these have been said. There's just so many bad lyrics out there.

"Adeiu, Adieu, to yu and yu and yu" is the reason why I hate The Sound of Music.

From Bare: A Pop Opera: "Are you there? Please pick up the phone. I've never felt so all alone. Left with paper courage all alone. Crawl inside, and want to die alone." One bad rhyme is bad enough. But the same bad rhyme repeated three times should just be illegal.

A New Brain: "I feel like I'm sa

re: MTI Rules?
 Jan 11 2006, 08:00:02 PM
MTI, as opposed to other liscensing agencies, is particularly strict about changes. A production of Songs for a New World, for example, requires Jason Robert Brown's name to be the biggest thing on the playbill, aside from the title, as well as other weird restrictions. But (shh, don't tell) if it's not a high-profile production, no one really cares if you write a book for the revue. They're not gonna check. Just don't parade it around. Or get the rights, and then advertise the show as bein
re: Pics of Jamie Foxx and Beyonce on the set of Dreamgirls!!!
 Jan 11 2006, 07:51:01 PM
I was skeptical about Beyonce, but did anyone else see her on the Kennedy Center Honors?
re: Weird Cast of RENT Photo? Toronto Cast Perhaps?
 Jan 8 2006, 09:00:15 PM
I'd love to see a female Mark. Or a 50-year-old Angel.
Honestly, I think it can be argued that race affects the character, even if it's just because of vocal quality (undeniably different between races). And take, for example, the idea of an Arab Maureen. How many performance-artist Arab women have you seen in NYC? There are certain cultural taboos that, no matter what you want to say about diversity and political correctness, affect character. And, therefore, race affects character.

re: Monologue I Want to Use
 Dec 23 2005, 10:38:46 PM
My opinion: It's not age-appropriate, and you can't really pretend that it is by taking it out of context (as you could with a lot of other monologues) because everyone knows Children's Hour. I think Mary (and maybe Peggy) has a monologue or two, though, so you can still use the play.
re: GUILTY PLEASURES....
 Dec 17 2005, 12:31:38 PM
The elitist in me considers Les Mis and Aida guilty pleasures.
re: Why don't I get A NEW BRAIN?
 Dec 16 2005, 11:52:41 PM
I felt this way too - why in the world is there a patient who eats himself?! I think it helps to realize that the show is autobiographical. So the scenes and characters that seem to serve no purpose are there because they were inspired by something (if they are not direct representations of something) or someone in Finn's life.
re: cross-gendering roles
 Dec 16 2005, 11:47:51 PM
I tend not to like cross-gendering and find it distracting. I love the idea of changing the gender of a role, but cross-dressing usually doesn't strike a good chord with me.

One of my favorite gender ambiguities, however, is that of Pippin's Leading Player. I'm a female and would love to play that role.

Dec 15 2005, 04:02:00 PM
Probably because they all already chimed in on the twelve or so other threads on this topic.

EDIT: Wow, I was right, it's actually exactly twelve!

re: Arrogant Male Songs
 Dec 15 2005, 12:32:35 PM
paradox_error:
Point taken, I spoke too uninformedly. I'm a girl, actually, so I don't have the benefit of first-hand experience. I only said it was a tenor song because I recently used the song for a revue and got some flack from the baritone I had cast in it.
But jasonf is right - I think you mean ultimate or quintessential or something. Unless you actually mean the second-to-last baritone song ever written, the citing of which would do little to prove your point.

re: Arrogant Male Songs
 Dec 15 2005, 03:20:17 AM
sweetestsiren - "Agony" is a tenor song. At least, it's not written for baritones - it goes up to an F.

"I Believe In You" ~ H2$
"What Do I Need With Love?" ~ Thoroughly Modern Millie

re: My Deep Dark Secret
 Dec 15 2005, 03:13:00 AM
Oklahoma
The Sound of Music
South Pacific

All literally make me cringe. I can stomach Carousel a little more, mostly because I've resigned myself to the stupidity of some of its themes. Actually, I tend to find myself pleasantly surprised because of my low expectations.

Dec 15 2005, 03:07:55 AM
"Love" is probably a little strong. But the musical that I know all the words to and still consider terrible and saccharine and contributing to the demise of musical theatre:
Wicked.

One that I own the OBC of, but don't listen to religiously:
Zanna, Don't!

Musicals that have songs I enjoy (despite words exchanged with Marc Shaiman on one of these very message boards):
Hairspray
Footloose

But I should tell you that a search for this topic came up with:

re: Non-Theatre Majors?
 Dec 13 2005, 01:23:52 PM
I'm not a theatre major; I'm planning to major in English.
I have every intention of becoming an actor, however, and theatre is my passion. That doesn't mean I have to major in it.
It helps that I went to a performing arts high school and majored in Drama for four years, as well as taking outside acting training for six years. I've had plenty of theory, and now I need to gain life experience and put my training into practice, both of which I can do without studying theatre in college.

re: Barbeau to play Judy Garland
 Dec 12 2005, 02:25:41 PM
I second BobbyBubby. If I'm excited about this, it's just to see the show fall on its backside. Let's hope I'm wrong.
re: Bronchitis and an Audition Tomorrow! HELP!
 Nov 6 2005, 02:51:02 PM
If you absolutely have to - meaning if your throat is so clogged you can barely breathe while you're singing - go to your local drug or vitamin store and buy Singer's Saving Grace. Spray it right into the back of your throat where you feel the congestion, and only spray once or twice. Use it sparingly, or you will get physically addicted.
A more homey remedy is hot water with honey, lemon juice and cayenne pepper to cut through the ick.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You