pixeltracker

Bronchitis and an Audition Tomorrow! HELP!

Bronchitis and an Audition Tomorrow! HELP!

LyTeMyCanDyI Profile Photo
LyTeMyCanDyI
#0Bronchitis and an Audition Tomorrow! HELP!
Posted: 11/6/05 at 12:50pm

I have bronchitis, which thank goodness is clearing up. I'm blowing my nose every two minutes and sucking down tea with honey like there's no tomorrow. I'm taking steamy showers all day too. Is there anything else I can do to totally ditch the congestion for tomorrow? I have to sing Adelaide's Lament (the cold ironically makes it awful) and If I Were a Bell. HELPPPP!!!!

Also, I'm currently Agatha (We're going through a cast reshuffling.) What songs is she in?

Megan Mullally as Karen Walker on Will and Grace: "Tell me more. Tell me more. Like does he have a car?"
Updated On: 11/6/05 at 12:50 PM

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#1re: Bronchitis and an Audition Tomorrow! HELP!
Posted: 11/6/05 at 1:07pm

Take about two inches of ginger and steep it in boiling water for about 10 minutes. After you drink it, inflamation should go down. Trust me. Also, Take a really hot shower and then take a walk in the cold outside. This contrast will increase the blood flow to the lungs. Finally... TAKE IT EASY!!!!!! I know you are nervous, but try not to sing. Do your warmups in the shower tomorrow. Good luck, and ill say a prayer!!!

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

CostumeMistress Profile Photo
CostumeMistress
#2re: Bronchitis and an Audition Tomorrow! HELP!
Posted: 11/6/05 at 1:09pm

Also, get PLENTY OF SLEEP!

Avatar - Isaac, my blue-fronted Amazon parrot. Adopted 9/7/07. Age 30 (my pet is older than me!)

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#3re: Bronchitis and an Audition Tomorrow! HELP!
Posted: 11/6/05 at 1:10pm

Do not talk on the phone either.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

j'aime_le_theatre Profile Photo
j'aime_le_theatre
#4re: Bronchitis and an Audition Tomorrow! HELP!
Posted: 11/6/05 at 1:12pm

depending on your age...if worse comes to worse, if your still really tense when u have to audition...take a shot of whiskey like 5 minutes before the audition. it will relax everything and make it a whole lot easier to sing. but this is only if you're over 21...:)

shortydudette
#5re: Bronchitis and an Audition Tomorrow! HELP!
Posted: 11/6/05 at 2:51pm

If you absolutely have to - meaning if your throat is so clogged you can barely breathe while you're singing - go to your local drug or vitamin store and buy Singer's Saving Grace. Spray it right into the back of your throat where you feel the congestion, and only spray once or twice. Use it sparingly, or you will get physically addicted.
A more homey remedy is hot water with honey, lemon juice and cayenne pepper to cut through the ick.

theatre.

greenegirl87
#6re: Bronchitis and an Audition Tomorrow! HELP!
Posted: 11/6/05 at 2:56pm

good luck! i hope something works for you!

"But now the air is filled with confusion. We replace care with illusion."

safety_in_falsehood
#7re: Bronchitis and an Audition Tomorrow! HELP!
Posted: 11/6/05 at 4:04pm

I'm not a singer, but best of luck with your audtion!

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#8re: Bronchitis and an Audition Tomorrow! HELP!
Posted: 11/6/05 at 4:07pm

I second the ginger recommendation. Not from personal experience but a lot of people I know swear by it.

Danitriniqueen
#9re: Bronchitis and an Audition Tomorrow! HELP!
Posted: 11/6/05 at 4:25pm

I have 2 ideas..

1. Put some water to boil. Once it is boiled, pour it into a LARGE bowl. Stir in some Vicks. Let it melt. Then place a towel overhead, and inhale the vicks fumes. That clears up the Sinus pretty quickly. Plus if you do it twice or three times within 20 minute intervals, that really helps.

2. You can also put a few drops of Brandy in that tea.

LyTeMyCanDyI
#10re: Bronchitis and an Audition Tomorrow! HELP!
Posted: 11/6/05 at 9:16pm

Thank you all so much!

Megan Mullally as Karen Walker on Will and Grace: "Tell me more. Tell me more. Like does he have a car?"

BSoBW2
#11re: Bronchitis and an Audition Tomorrow! HELP!
Posted: 11/6/05 at 9:21pm

"depending on your age...if worse comes to worse, if your still really tense when u have to audition...take a shot of whiskey like 5 minutes before the audition. it will relax everything and make it a whole lot easier to sing. but this is only if you're over 21...:)"

This doesn't ONLY work for auditions re: Bronchitis and an Audition Tomorrow! HELP!

LilMiZBroADwaY23
#12re: Bronchitis and an Audition Tomorrow! HELP!
Posted: 11/6/05 at 9:26pm

I caught Bronchitis a week before Solo and Ensemble, so the day before I took a day of rest, and stayed at home. I slept, had my steamer on, breathed in steam A LOT, lots of Tea, warm liquids without sugar. Anything that might help.

And what do you know, I got a one.

TheOneAndOnly
#13re: Bronchitis and an Audition Tomorrow! HELP!
Posted: 11/7/05 at 12:05am

Pick up some Humibid or Mucinex at your local drugstore. It's pure guaifenesin, an expectorant. I used to prefer the Humibid, but all I've seen lately is the Mucinex. It's not exactly cheap (around $11 for 20 tablets), but it can be helpful. The Mucinex brand also comes in an expectorant + cough suppressant formula.

Hope this helps.

CostumeMistress Profile Photo
CostumeMistress
#14re: Bronchitis and an Audition Tomorrow! HELP!
Posted: 11/7/05 at 12:22am

Please let us know how your audition goes!

Avatar - Isaac, my blue-fronted Amazon parrot. Adopted 9/7/07. Age 30 (my pet is older than me!)

C is for Company
#15re: Bronchitis and an Audition Tomorrow! HELP!
Posted: 11/7/05 at 1:07am

mucinex both cough suppressant and chest congestion boxes of 20 tablets is 11.99 and the 40 count boxes are 19.99. I work at eckerd and just today stocked them full :) Cant wait to hear how things go

LyTeMyCanDyI
#16re: Bronchitis and an Audition Tomorrow! HELP!
Posted: 11/8/05 at 12:23am

Thank you all so much!!! I took bits and pieces from lots of you. Sadly, the audition was cancelled. The cast reshuffling never happened and we all preared for nothing. Back to Agatha I suppose. However, I had to sing at my schools Pep Rally. I thought I was only singing backup on Bushel and a Peck (from this years production of Guys and Dolls) and Summer nights (we did Grease last year.) We have a spontaneous principal. He decided we'd go on twice. He failed to tell us this before our Sandy went home for the day. I filled in for her, so the remedies weren't a total waste.

Thank you all so much for your help and good wishes!
Gosh, I love this board!

Videos