My Deep Dark Secret

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#0My Deep Dark Secret
Posted: 12/15/05 at 12:51am

I have to admit it, I HATE "Carousel" and "Oklahoma". I just HAD to come clean about that.

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#1re: My Deep Dark Secret
Posted: 12/15/05 at 12:53am

That's IT???

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#2re: My Deep Dark Secret
Posted: 12/15/05 at 12:55am

It's ok, I'm not a fan of either of those shows either

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#3re: My Deep Dark Secret
Posted: 12/15/05 at 12:56am

LOL!!! You think it might have something to do with a "Shirley Jones" thing? I just could never warm up to those two, Maybe I'm not an americana Norman Rockwell type.

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#4re: My Deep Dark Secret
Posted: 12/15/05 at 12:56am

As long as you don't say you hate Shirley Jones.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#5re: My Deep Dark Secret
Posted: 12/15/05 at 12:57am

AHHHHH!! We typed that at the same time!!

YOU DON'T LIKE SHIRLEY JONES?????

I spit on you.

*ptooey*

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#6re: My Deep Dark Secret
Posted: 12/15/05 at 12:59am

No, I love her in "Music Man" and "Elmer Gantry" - and I even loved seeing her live as Maria in "The Sound of Music", Love Shirley, but she just happened to be in both of those film versions, Please don't spit on me (Wiping the spittle from my right cheek)

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#7re: My Deep Dark Secret
Posted: 12/15/05 at 1:00am

You saw her LIVE in THe Sound Of Music? As Maria????

*so so so jealous*

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#8re: My Deep Dark Secret
Posted: 12/15/05 at 1:02am

Summer of 1976 I believe it was, and she was AWESOME! (The whole production was sublime!

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#9re: My Deep Dark Secret
Posted: 12/15/05 at 1:02am

*swoon*

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#10re: My Deep Dark Secret
Posted: 12/15/05 at 1:05am

Just for the record, I just thought - has nobody ever tried or talked about doing "Elmer Gantry" as a musical? Love the film and the novel by Sinclair Lewis! Heavy & Dark but so is Sweeney.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#11re: My Deep Dark Secret
Posted: 12/15/05 at 1:06am

I'm embarrassed to admit I've never seen it - is it rentable?

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#12re: My Deep Dark Secret
Posted: 12/15/05 at 1:10am

Wow, I don't recall ever seeing it on DVD now that you mention it! That is kinda strange, although you can catch it on late night TV sometimes and Shirley won her Oscar as Lulu Baines (A Hooker!) - So much is not on DVD it is sad, I went to the DVD store tonight to get my fave's "REDS" and "Julia" and was told they were NOT on DVD yet, They had no date for "REDS", They told me I could get "Julia" in 2010!!! (I told them if I'm alive yeah!)

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#13re: My Deep Dark Secret
Posted: 12/15/05 at 1:11am

I knew she won the Oscar, that's why I'm ashamed that I haven't seen it.

RentBoy86
#14re: My Deep Dark Secret
Posted: 12/15/05 at 1:12am

I don't care for any R&H and I'm just now getting into Sondheim - only found a few of his I like.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#15re: My Deep Dark Secret
Posted: 12/15/05 at 1:15am

Jimmirae, Elmer Gantry has been tried as a musical. Follow da linkie!
http://centerstage.net/theatre/articles/elmer-gantry.html

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#16re: My Deep Dark Secret
Posted: 12/15/05 at 1:17am

Oh well, I suppose that leaves me re-reading my copy of "Pentimento" for now. Maybe Warren will release "REDS" in theaters once more before the DVD - It was the last film I enjoyed with an actual intermission.

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#17re: My Deep Dark Secret
Posted: 12/15/05 at 1:18am

WOW! Thanks LizzieCurry - that I would like to have seen!!!

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#18re: My Deep Dark Secret
Posted: 12/15/05 at 1:59am

I'm really sorry you don't like them

I think Carousel is one of the, if not the best, musical ever written. Gorgeous, intelligent score, powerful book and lyrics, deep, fleshed characters, and subject matter decades ahead of it's time, as it's practically still relevant today.

Oklahoma certainly isn't one of the best, but to deny it's importance would be foolish. Oklahoma defined the basis of musical theatre by allowing the songs to move the story forward, allowing songs to be used as monologues, in a way. It was the first fully functional piece of musical theatre. And for doing this, it stands as the icon of the only truly American contribution to the development of the theatre (which is fitting, considering its patriotic, American themes, particularly the Manifet Destiny).

Lol ok sorry I'm done. I know a lot of people don't like them, but i truly believe they are masterpieces and deserve more credit than they get.

shortydudette
#19re: My Deep Dark Secret
Posted: 12/15/05 at 3:13am

Oklahoma
The Sound of Music
South Pacific

All literally make me cringe. I can stomach Carousel a little more, mostly because I've resigned myself to the stupidity of some of its themes. Actually, I tend to find myself pleasantly surprised because of my low expectations.

theatre.

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#20re: My Deep Dark Secret
Posted: 12/15/05 at 3:18am

Honey, If a LOT of folks didn't feel the same way you did they wouldn't be my deep dark secrets I revealed, LOL! I respect that all art is subject to the eye of the beholder. Some folks think Keith Haring's are "doodles" - I adore Haring! That makes us all appreciate the "Rainbow", but all able to connect in a totally different colour, thus, All the colors are beautiful together.
I have nothing against R&H, I grew up on R&H "Cinderella" with L.A.W. I think I'm not an americana person, Although I'm fascinated by Kerouac - wasn't someone touting a musical send up of "On the Road"? I'm very touchy with americana, I like Woody Guthrie - But only when sung by Judy Collins, Whose, By the way, quintessential rendition of "Pirate Jenny" is still the best for me.

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#21re: My Deep Dark Secret
Posted: 12/15/05 at 3:55am

On the Road is NOT Americana. Kill me now. Ugh.

I like Carousel. It's depressing and it has pretty music. Good enough for me.

I actually like the whole Rodgers and Hammerstein cannon. I think Rodgers was a great musician. I like some songs better than others o'course, but I really can't think of a show I dislike (if I'm familiar with it).

A musical of On The Road. Icky.

He invited us in and we sat
on his only Japanese tatami mat
While he told us buddhist haiku.
And when he reached the last line
Somebody brought out the wine.
Which was our cue to get stewed.
The next day, I went mountain climbing.
Because it's what my girl wanted to do.

BEATNIK DANCE BREAK!

Or was that Dharma Bums? Yes... I know that was neither funny nor did it rhyme :P

Really though, can you imagine?

"Oh, my name is Jack.
Jack-Kerouac!
When I was young
There was a lack
Of direction in my life,
So with just my sack
And the shirt on my back
I set out On The Road.
On the Road!
On the Road!
My name is Jack-Jack Kerouac!
And I am On the Road.
Oh I like to read and write about anything in sight.
And I take loads of speed because it helps to keep me up all night.
Going tic-a-tac-tic-a-tac on my borrowed type writer
I'm gonna be a great writer!( This is the Beatnik tap dance sequence)
I am Jack-Jack Kerouac!
And I---
Am---
On---
The---
Rooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaad!
Kerouac!"
Cue The Lion King BOOM musical button.

Okay yeah. Time for bed.

yr ronin,
joey

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#22re: My Deep Dark Secret
Posted: 12/15/05 at 3:58am

It's americana to me.
LOVED the libretto there, lol!!!

Updated On: 12/15/05 at 03:58 AM

Videos