Non-Theatre Majors?

arykahmarye
#0Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 12:57am

I'm curious if there's anyone here on the boards who are going for a non-theatre major.

Myself, as much as i love acting and being in shows, i know it's not my strongest area. I'm starting Pre-Med at University of Washington next year.

Anyone else?

"Umm...A1 is a steak sauce."

StageWhore Profile Photo
StageWhore
#1re: Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 12:58am

English major... thinking of journalism... maybe. (First year, can you tell?)

"`I grow old... I grow old... I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.` What does that mean, Mr. Marlowe?" "Not a bloody thing. It just sounds good." He smiled. "That is from the `Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.` Here's another one. `In the room women come and go/Talking of Michael Angelo.' Does that suggest anything to you, sir?" "Yeah -- it suggests to me that the guy didn't know very much about women." "My sentiments exactly, sir. Nonetheless I admire T. S. Eliot very much." "Did you say, 'nonetheless'?" - The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler

Jacinda Profile Photo
Jacinda
#2re: Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 1:03am

I'm a third year medical student, who became pre-med during my sophomore year of undergrad. This is my first year that I have not been in any type of play or musical. I love medicine; I am thrilled that I'll be a pediatrician in less than 18 months. But there is a lingering sadness that I don't have time to be on stage (considering it has been part of my life since I was 6 years old).

Good luck with your studies. If you ever have any questions or need career advice, feel free to ask.

:) Jac

All the thanks in the world to despair.com for my avatar - it's like you know the story of my life.

WickedlyPerfect Profile Photo
WickedlyPerfect
#3re: Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 1:04am

Tourism and Events Management Major
Business Minor

I would love to be a theater major and act on broadway, but i have zero nerves and I turn to mush when many people are looking at me

What good is a life, With no one to share, The light of the moon, The honor of a swear?

#4re: Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 1:10am

pre med major here as well!

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#5re: Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 1:20am

Music Industry and Communication Studies (concentration in Media Studies) double major with a minor in business.

Where does everyone go to school? I'm at Northeastern in Boston.

Idina: Somehow I got myself to the stage, came out at the end of the show, and I had some kind of closure.
Some guy: You looked great!
Idina: Thanks...I WAS SO HIGH! 8/21/05

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#6re: Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 1:21am

I am only involved with theatre from the side of the audience. re: Non-Theatre Majors?

I graduated several years ago. I was never a theatre major.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

iluvtheatertrash
#7re: Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 1:24am

Currently a theater major but seriously considering changing that. My love for the craft diminishes more and more each day.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

iwearshoes Profile Photo
iwearshoes
#8re: Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 1:26am

I am going for entertainment communications next year. It isn't directly theater but is still in the arts and entertainment area.

RENThead414
#9re: Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 1:38am

well, first i was an english major....then a recreation, parks, and tourism administration major....now i'm a history major, and next fall i'll hopefully be a theatre major with an emphasis in playwriting/dramaturgy/lighting design. (i'm so complicated....)

Rebecca Profile Photo
Rebecca
#10re: Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 1:40am

I'm a freshman majoring in International Business with a minor in French. But, then again, I am a freshman.

OddExoticCreature Profile Photo
OddExoticCreature
#11re: Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 1:44am

creative writing.

--Like an odd exotic creature on display inside a zoo, hearing children asking questions makes me ask some questions too...--

littleredridinghood Profile Photo
littleredridinghood
#12re: Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 1:57am

I could never be a Theater major; I'm more about the history of musicals and plays and whatnot than actually performing in them. I love theater and hope to get more involved with my college theater group's stuff, but my real academic passion is more like learning about them (though don't get me wrong, there's nothing like being in a show).

Anyway. 1st year. Art History. Hence my avatar.

Updated On: 12/13/05 at 01:57 AM

HBG Profile Photo
HBG
#13re: Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 2:13am

I'm in my third and final year in law school. In college, I majored in Legal Studies and minored in Marketing. When I talk to Broadway actors, they are always so shocked that I'm gonna be a lawyer, like they don't understand how come a lawyer is so into theater. But if they were in law school, they'd understand that without having the theater to escape to, I would've thrown myself off the Brooklyn Bridge a long time ago. re: Non-Theatre Majors?

"Free from what, Tracy? Free from what?"

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#14re: Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 2:13am

Me: biology and psychology double major.

I'm glad to hear that there are others of us non-theatre majors here. re: Non-Theatre Majors?

EganFan2
#15re: Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 8:42am

English lit major, but quite a few actors/performers didn't actually major in theater when they were in college. I do theater as a hobby, and if it gets me anywhere, great, if it doesn't, it's still something fun to do.

colleen_lee
#16re: Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 8:45am

I was a vocal music education major.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

Barnaby12345 Profile Photo
Barnaby12345
#17re: Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 8:59am

Pre-Med (Human Bio major)! I Still do the musicals at my college though. It's weird being the only non-theatre/vocal performance major in the show, but also fun.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#18re: Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 9:12am

I'm a playwriting major (that's a non ACTING major, but not a non theatre major i guess...)

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

jasobres
#19re: Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 9:12am

I plan to major in Music Performance but I would still like to be a pit musician on B'way.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

colleen_lee
#20re: Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 9:15am

>>It's weird being the only non-theatre/vocal performance major in the show, but also fun. <<

Theater majors basically dominated at my school, I was a vocal music major and there was only one other music major that was a regular in the shows (this number upped slightly with musicals) and I think he ended up minoring or perhaps double-majoring in theater anyway.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

Fantabulous428 Profile Photo
Fantabulous428
#21re: Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 9:27am

I am no where close to being a theatre major. I enjoy it, doesn't mean I have to partake in it.

I recognize the addiction to being alive.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#22re: Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 10:32am

Fantabulous, I'm the same way, and I think many other posters here are as well.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Kimmygonbefamous Profile Photo
Kimmygonbefamous
#23re: Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 10:43am

Political Science major. But only because my parents wouldn't help me pay for school if I majored in Theatre.

"You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don't make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and do them so well that people can't take their eyes off you." - Maya Angelou

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#24re: Non-Theatre Majors?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 10:50am

Double Major: English and Sociology

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space