News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for BeingAlive44Ever

Member Name: BeingAlive44Ever
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Only 3 have swept all the Theatre Awards  May 3 2024, 10:56:52 PM

I could've sworn BD Wong did this, but on further inspection he actually won the Clarence Derwent Award. No Drama League. He's as close as an American has gotten, though. 

Somewhat Baffling High Note Trends  May 1 2024, 06:06:09 PM

SporkGoddess said: "Yes, good point about "Defying Gravity." Opera also takes into account the weight of the singer's voice and works with it, so high notes that need to be sung aslight and floaty can be sung that way,as opposed to musical theatre where mics allow audiences to hearhigh notes that aren't sung the way high notes are *supposed* to be sung in terms of vocal health and technique.

Like, "Glitter and be Gay" is brutal, but at least tho

Somewhat Baffling High Note Trends  May 1 2024, 04:22:54 PM

SporkGoddess said: "For women at least, I wouldn't even say that it's so much high notesas BELTING high notes, or a mixture of belting with high "legit" soprano notes. Or the high notes are sustained in a way that makes them very difficult to sing consistently (the famous example being Christine's cadenza in Phantom of the Opera)."

That's very true. I think that there's a distinct difference between operatic and belted high notes in

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!  May 1 2024, 03:08:12 PM

hork said: "BeingAlive44Ever said: Tell me right now that Avenue Q is a better musical with a better book and score than Wicked. ."

Avenue Q is a much better musical with a far better book and score than Wicked.
"

I was mostly being facetious but somehow I knew somebody would say that

I honestly like Avenue Q better than Wicked but I feel like most people don't 

And I also thought it was a very appropriate comparison&nbs

Somewhat Baffling High Note Trends  May 1 2024, 03:04:06 PM

darquegk said: "It's worth mentioning along with the "Send in the Clowns" story: arguably the greatest and most popular male singer of the twentieth century, Frank Sinatra, had a rather small, weak voice and a limited range, once he lost his boyish falsetto. He didn't have much of an instrument, technically speaking, but you'll never hear anyone say Sinatra was a **** singer, because he knew how to use what he had, and how to interpret a song to suit his own voc

Best Group of Best Musical Nominees  May 1 2024, 01:32:00 PM

1991 is a hard one to beat. 2017 was great too. 

I looked over the whole list, and here's my favorites: 

1960 (though I'm not familiar with Take Me A long)

1967 (not the hugest fan of Walking Happy but literally every other show nominated this year was really amazing) 

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!  May 1 2024, 01:18:56 PM

KarenValentine'sheadband said: "No apologies needed. No fighting from me. I reaffirming my point as you are. I'm glad we can agree. I saw Cabaretin London and thought he was mugging back then."

I'm not saying he's not mugging. Just that there is a bit more to his performance than that. I heard he got drastically better on Broadway, though admittedly I have not seen it since it transferred. Broadway is much more expensive. I definitely think that, betw

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!  May 1 2024, 01:03:57 PM

dramamama611 said: "Well, that's a terrible reason to nominate (or not nominate) anyone. This isn't little league where everyone gets a trophy."

That would be true if that were what I was suggesting. And, really, it does feel like little league when some things are nominated. Like, tell me why two best featured actor slots in 2017 were Falsettos when basically everybody knew that an already closed three month run of a show the same season as that hu

Somewhat Baffling High Note Trends  May 1 2024, 12:54:06 PM

The Distinctive Baritone said: "I'm not sure how often Sondheim wrote forspecificactors. I remember reading that he wrote the title role in Sweeney Todd with Len Cariou in mind after working with him onA Little Night Music,but I would be interested to find out how much his original actors' vocal ranges affected his writing. I believe that most famously, "Send in the Clowns" was written after Glynis Johns had been cast and was already in re

Your Single Favorite 2024 Tony Nomination  May 1 2024, 12:42:37 PM

Dylan Smith4 said: "Jonathan Groff, of course! He's a proud Central Pennsylvanian like me, and I am so happy to see his continued success on stage and screen! Now, he needs to bring it on home!"

As far as I'm concerned, he's a front runner for this award. God is he ever great in Merrily. Probably his best and most subtle performance yet. 

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!  May 1 2024, 12:40:55 PM

KarenValentine'sheadband said: "Okay. I stand by everything I said too."

I didn't mean to fight. I apologize. I agree with your perspective for the most part anyways. I think that Eddie really didn't deserve a nomination on account of the fact he already has a Tony and Chip doesn't have even one nomination. 

Somewhat Baffling High Note Trends  May 1 2024, 12:39:16 PM

The Distinctive Baritone said: "As a bass-baritone, I would argue that for men, Sondheim was the last major composer to really write for baritones. I think part of this was because he very lyric/character-driven, with many of his principal male characters not even requiring asinger with a "great" voice, but an actor who happens to sing well and knows how to interpret a song. Most men are baritones, and require training to sing higher than a D or E. Not all Sondheim roles (m

Your Single Favorite 2024 Tony Nomination  May 1 2024, 12:10:16 PM

LuckyDipster said: "I guess I'm just all caught up in the excitement of it all because before February of last year I hadn't heard of the man. This means I didn't get to experience his first win (or second nomination) in real time. Although I know precious little about Chip, I do feel for him, constantly being overlooked. I realise that Roger is old news to everyone here, but to me he is something new."

See that makes a lot more sense. When I first got in

How is Jinkx Monsoon as Audrey.  May 1 2024, 12:05:49 PM

Menken Fan said: "I also love Jinkx and was so thrilled to return to the show for a sixth time to see her. She definitely added her own spin, didn't copy other previous Audreys and added manyfun comedic bits. It killed me that she greeted the Urchins as "Hi Crystal, Hi Ronnette" and then a vicious scowling "Hi Chiffon", like there was some backstory or rivalry that I really need to know about.

The transposed score for her was so obvious and kept jum

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!  May 1 2024, 12:02:58 PM

KarenValentine'sheadband said: "

"KarenValentine'sheadband said: "Chip from Harmony and Harmony the musical owns this thread. Sadly."

The threadis about who do people think was "robbed." I said Chip and the show. Not sure how else I could say it? I loved the score, lighting, costume, scenicdesign and Chip. That's five potential noms. I think Eddie getting the nod for mugging to the audience is ridiculous.

How is Jinkx Monsoon as Audrey.  May 1 2024, 11:03:08 AM

I adore Jinkx, I think she's one of the finest modern drag queens and does impressions better than anybody

Sadly I am completely unhelpful in this because I won't be in New York again until late next month so I won't get to see her

Your Single Favorite 2024 Tony Nomination  May 1 2024, 10:58:02 AM

LuckyDipster said: "I was at work and I actually jumped for joy when Roger got his nomination because I adore that man so much. I guess you all think I'm nuts. Whatever. That man's work makes me very happy and it makes a lot of BTTF fans very happy. At the end of the day, Radcliffe is going to win and I won't be mad about it because I thought he was fantastic in Merrily."

I was very glad Roger Bart got a nomination, but y'know he's already won bef

Somewhat Baffling High Note Trends  May 1 2024, 10:49:34 AM

CATSNYrevival said: "How do you have this conversation without mentioning Jekyll & Hyde?"

There's a lot to mention about Jekyll and Hyde. I think that the difficulty of the lead role comes more from having like eight solos than anything else. When you actually look at it, Jekyll stays within the conventional dramatic tenor register, but with more material than you'd usually see in an opera, plus the necessary shifts in color to portray Hyde. In high schoo

Your Single Favorite 2024 Tony Nomination  May 1 2024, 10:43:22 AM

Oh positive! I'm guilty of grumbling and complaining, as a huge classical music nerd smack in the middle of two generations that care very little about it and a theatre world drifting further and further away from the tradition that started it. Buuuut I love the Tonys! And I love Broadway. 

So here's my favorite nomination: 

Maria Friedman for Merrily! 

I considered a lot of things, but really it is just so great for me to see her in this category.

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!  May 1 2024, 10:37:08 AM

KarenValentine'sheadband said: "Chip from Harmony and Harmony the musical owns this thread. Sadly."

I'm unsure as to the intention behind this message. I will say, as much as I personally enjoyed Harmony and thought Chip was phenomenal and definitely deserved a nomination over a handful of people, and as much as I would have loved to see Chip nominated, I do completely understand the whole ignoring Harmony thing. It has a lot of structural problems, the score

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You