News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Sammy232

Member Name: Sammy232
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

SWEPT AWAY transferring to Broadway this fall
 May 18 2024, 08:06:20 AM

This will have to sell on the strength of the show, since the Brothers themselves aren't exactly Alicia Keys-level famous."

I think, like Illinoise, the Avett Brothers have a pretty narrow fanbase. There is no way to sell this show successfully based on their name alone. 

What is the worst production you have ever seen on Broadway? What is the worst show?
 May 18 2024, 07:47:21 AM

It Shoulda Been You. It was painful.

City Center’s MATTRESS transferring to Broadway this summer
 May 17 2024, 10:14:16 AM

Dylan Smith4 said: "Incredible news! Now they just need to transfer Jelly’s Last Jam as well! Glad to see that Encores is doing Broadway transfers again!"

Hoping for Jelly too - I adored that production. With the same cast, pretty please broadway gods???

NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
 May 13 2024, 08:07:28 AM

I was really hoping for a piazza transfer as I thought Ruthie and the young woman who played her daughter were just outstanding and I'd love to see it again.

OH MARY! Officially Transferring to Lyceum Theatre this Summer - 12 Weeks
 May 12 2024, 08:09:57 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I can't remember another Broadway schedule like this:

• No matinees
  • performances at 5pm and 8:30pm on Thursdays & Saturdays
  • dark Sundays
  • 7:30pm all other nights

Wonder how those 5pm Thursdays will do in the summertime... Really only works for tourists/vacationers, people who don't work,and people who work irregular schedules, which aren't usuallythe demographics for a new play.

It will allow some people to do a 3-show day (2pm, 5pm, 8pm), but those avid theatergoers don't fill the house.

"

American Utopia also had a 2 show Saturday that was not the norm. I think it was 5 & 9? or 5:30 & 9:30?

Gatsby or Merrily?
 May 10 2024, 01:33:17 PM

Merrily without question.

The Tony nominators should've shown lots more love to 'Here Lies Love'
 May 10 2024, 07:31:31 AM

I was genuinely shocked that Alex Timbers didn't receive a nomination for direction. He was the ringleader of something so innovative, that really tried to move Broadway forward. 

Article: OPERATION MINCEMEAT... plots its course to New York
 May 9 2024, 02:34:52 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: ""Too British"usuallyfeels like a copout and a way to cover up other concerns for why it might not succeed in America.

I think audiences are more willing to embrace a culture on stage that is not their own, more than they were even 10 years ago...and the culture of this showis not THAT different from white American culture.

$14M is high but still lower than most other new Broadway musicals.Advertising, constructio

STEREOPHONIC Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
 May 7 2024, 07:33:43 AM

RumTumJM said: "ShowBro said: "Play Esq. said: "While ^ is true, I found Diana, Holly, and Reg to be quite likable.”

For me there was no resolution with Diana’scharacter arc. The only time she got up the nerve to stand up to Peter was in the last actwhen she was coked up which made me like her a little less.

"

WOW! This show really is a knockoff of Fleetwood Mac. - While I haven't seen it yet (Saturday

Theatre "Influencers"
 May 1 2024, 07:36:26 PM

GottaGetAGimmick420 said: "This is how I feel about that one influencer that works for Gatsby. I tried watching one of her YouTube videos once and had to shut it off because she didn’t know what she was talking about… just… nothing.

I feel like social media has led us to “monetize” everything, and people who are not “industry” see “influencing” as a way in to the industry… they are fans first and foremost.

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!
 Apr 30 2024, 10:49:19 AM

Lavieboheme3090 said: "I still would have given "Here Lies Love" a best musical nomination. But glad they were noticed for score."

I agree. What I find most shocking is no nom for Alex Timbers.

ILLINOISE Reviews
 Apr 25 2024, 05:41:47 PM

dramamama611 said: "Excellent, thank you!

Does anyone think we will get a new recording? I've been listening to the original album, but would love to hear these voices again!
"

I sure hope so, the orchestrations were really incredible.

2024 Outer Critics Circle Nominations & Awards
 Apr 24 2024, 10:05:02 AM

MemorableUserName said: "While conceding it's meaningless for the Tonys, Justin Guarini being recognized here is nice to see. He was terrific in a show that otherwise was not."

So happy to see HLL remembered for both OCC and Drama League - hopefully Tony nominators will too!

ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
 Apr 17 2024, 08:31:18 AM

BernadetteJD said: "Are there any codes out there for this one?"

Haven't seen any codes but it's on TDF for a couple of days next week.

Jim Parsons, Katie Holmes, Zoey Deutch to Star in ‘Our Town’ Revival on Broadway
 Apr 3 2024, 01:40:12 PM

CurtainsUpat8 said: "I love Jim Parsons, but with Richard Thomas in the cast... I think I'd rather see Richard Thomas as the Stage Manager."

Definitely agree - would love to see Richard Thomas as the Stage Manager

THE WHO’S TOMMY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
 Mar 30 2024, 02:01:55 PM

Menken Fan said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "DTLI Consensus:In a new, technology and projection-driven production,Tommyremains a Broadway sensation.

10 positive, 1 mixed, 1 negative (the NYT).

https://didtheylikeit.com/shows/the-whos-tommy/
"

Seriously, what is going on with Jesse Green? Of course, critics can have differing opinions, and i always expect some range of ratings to help judge whether to see a show. But, how can a show like Tommy, which got 85-90% positive reviews, which I personally agreed with based on the Chicago run, have such a negative and out-of-range review from the most respected (?) source. He continues to astound me, and it irritates me only because it may discourage someone from getting tickets, who otherwise might have really enjoyed it (based on the average of reviews).
"

The New Yorker was also very negative (but their reviews don't always come out on opening night) https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2024/04/08/the-whos-tommy-theatre-review

Michael R. Jackson & Anna K. Jacobs' TEETH Musical at Playwrights Horizons (Winter 2024)
 Mar 20 2024, 08:41:48 AM

Falsettolands said: "Really enjoyed this campy off broadway feast. It really does have the potential to go the way of LSOH, Heathers, Bat Boy etc. and become a classic camp horror show. Stunning work from AlyseAlan Louis as always (between Pretty Filthy and Soft Power, I'll pretty much see her in anything at this point- she's a delight onstage)

That being said, this absolutely should not transfer to a larger house- the size is just perfect for this. A commercial ru

SUFFS is coming to Broadway
 Mar 14 2024, 03:19:28 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Sammy232 said: "I saw an ad (prob on instagram or facebook, can't remember) wherethe voiceover says produced by Hilary Clinton and I thought that was so strange. Assuming that she's supporting by showing up, whether paid or unpaid, is not the same as producing the show for real?"

Yes, she is in an ad for the show.

Every show has a Lead Producer (sometimes a few). In this case, the lead producers areJill F

What Next For The Majestic?
 Mar 14 2024, 03:16:52 PM

BrodyFosse123 said: "It took a year to refurbish the Winter Garden Theatre back to traditional seating and a proscenium stage back in 2000 when CATS closed after an 18 year run. MAMMA MIA! was the musical that reopened the newly refurbished Winter Garden in 2001.

"

I think the theater owner can make things happen more quickly if there is a tenant pending - look at the Broadway, it's already been put back together post Here Lies Love. That closed around Thanksgiving?

SUFFS is coming to Broadway
 Mar 14 2024, 01:12:37 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Clinton's involvement is tricky.I don't know if it will be hurtful or indifferent, but it probably won't be as helpful as Jill Furman & cohope it will be.

When advertising a Broadway show or tour, you reallydon'twant it to be seen as a partisan work, even if it's written as such. Let people attend and decide for themselves. Republicans buy ticketsto Broadway too (whether they are the target audience or not,the

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You