News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Zikes

Zikes Profile Photo
Member Name: Zikes
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Hunter Foster Responds to Urinetown Mess!
 Nov 19 2006, 11:20:20 PM
I'm sorry that you feel you don't own your ideas. While design and theatre in general is very collaborative, the ideas start and gesticulate in the designer's head. It is the designer who puts it down on paper [or the designer's team who is working for them if we are going to get ridiculously nitpicky], and it is the designer who makes sure that at the end of the day the overall look of the aspect they are in charge of is what they want, and feel happy about.

I don't think that we are

Nov 19 2006, 07:19:29 PM
Wow.

Dave, I have to politely disagree with you on most of what you said. The fact is Designer's make a living on the ideas. Ideas are all we have, and in my opinion they have to be protected.

True, the shows in questions were not "clones" in the fact that they did not use the EXACT SAME materials, however these shows have been accused of copying the original as best as they could.

Example- If I were to copy a paper but change the way things were worded, without maki

Nov 19 2006, 11:54:23 AM
Thanks for linking to that article, it was very interesting. I agree with some of the point he is making, however I think he can rest easy that Marriot will not be sued any time soon as they are in the round, so staging and design always has to be different than the original.

Tangent- They did an EXCELENT production of Sunset Boulevard about a year or two ago that made great use of projection and color. Really, really, excellent. -End Tangent.

I agree that what really needs

Nov 19 2006, 11:22:24 AM
HOUFlip04-

With a good enough production team and the right vision/concept "Singin' in the Rain" could work and not have to look EXACTLY like the movie. I am well aware that it was a movie first and that audiences will want to see the movie up on stage however, like I stated before, if you have a good director who has a good concept for the show it CAN work. Think of the recent revival of "Sweeney Todd", while some people were probably upset that they were not seeing the original st

Nov 18 2006, 03:50:37 PM
http://www.carouseldinnertheatre.com/gallery.htm

Does anyone else think these production shots look a little too similar to the movie?? Maybe that's what this theatre does??

-Zikes.

Nov 16 2006, 12:32:33 PM
Hey! The Jeff's are not lame. Now the After Dark Awards..........
re: URINETOWN: Copyright Controversy
 Nov 16 2006, 12:07:45 AM
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately the company that did this to me is one that I've worked with before, and this has put a really sour taste in my mouth about working with, or supporting them ever again.

Zikes.

re: URINETOWN: Copyright Controversy
 Nov 15 2006, 11:59:14 PM
I was at the Jeff's, and when Urinetown won for choreography, people sitting around me were flabbergasted. It was a carbon copy of the original choreography not original in any way, shape, or form.

On a (sort of) related note. I am a designer and I recently interviewed for a show that wanted me to present idea's and concepts. The director told me he loved my ideas, but I was not hired. Are there legal ramifications if I see my ideas on stage? I've already mailed myself my sketches

re: Side Show Chicago
 Jun 20 2006, 06:34:09 PM
Thanks for the kind words Kringas. Tell your friends to go see the show.

-Zikes.

re: Side Show Cicago
 Jun 18 2006, 03:46:29 PM
GO SEE THIS SHOW!

Sorry for the CAPS, but this is an amazing show! (of course I'm biased, as I did the set, but who cares?)

The tickets are only $25 bucks and are 2 for one Thursday for industry folks, so it's really not that big a gamble.

-Zikes.

re: Side Show/Tick Tick Boom in Chicago
 Jun 9 2006, 10:21:01 PM
Cool. I'll be at SIDESHOW on Sunday as well. Hope you enjoy the show.

-Zikes.

re: Side Show/Tick Tick Boom in Chicago
 Jun 9 2006, 07:06:58 PM
The Sunday show of SIDESHOW was acually scheduled so that other theatre people could see the show, so you should be just fine.

-Zikes.

re: Tick, Tick... BOOM Chicago
 Jun 4 2006, 10:54:14 AM
I have to say I liked this production, even though I wasn't the biggest fan of the show to begin with. Michael was great, and I don't think anyone could say enough good things about Jess, she's terrific.
re: Ever held a Tony Award?
 Jun 2 2006, 04:52:46 PM
I used to work at The Goodman Theatre, and one day while cleaning out the cases, I snapped a picture of myself holding Robert Falls' tony for "Death of a Salesman."

re: Come look at the freaks! Chicago production of SIDE SHOW.
 May 31 2006, 10:45:18 PM
shameless bump.
 May 29 2006, 04:35:09 PM
Hey all.

BoHo Theatre's production of SIDE SHOW just got Jeff Recomended. That means it will be eligible to be nominated for a Citation or two.

May 28 2006, 02:23:13 PM
I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
 May 28 2006, 02:10:54 AM
I'm taking pictures next Thursday. I'll post a link when I have them.
Come look at the freaks! Chicago production of SIDE SHOW.
 May 28 2006, 01:56:15 AM
Hey there all.

I've designed the set for BoHo Theatre's production of SIDESHOW at Theatre Building Chicago. You guys should check it out, it's a really great show.

The times are as follows:

Thursday and Friday at 8 pm
Saturday at 5 pm and 9 pm
Sunday at 6 pm

It runs from May 26th thru July 9th

Check out the website at http://www.bohotheatre.com

Zikes.

re: Set Design Sites
 Oct 18 2005, 08:36:05 PM
USA [the union for designers] has a website, and they link to designer portfolios.

Go to http://www.usa829.org/ and click on showcase.

Have fun!

-Zikes.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You