Ever held a Tony Award?

showbiz287 Profile Photo
showbiz287
#0Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 3:55pm

I work at Trinity Rep in Providence, and they won a Tony Award in 1981 and have it displayed in a case in the lobby. Today, they were cleaning it, and I got to hold it. The top is made of a heavy metal, and the engraving is kinda neat but the bottom is just a cheap plastic. It looks so much more glamorous on the TV. It was still cool though!

"I'll eat some breakfast, then change the world."
Updated On: 6/2/06 at 03:55 PM

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#1re: Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 3:57pm

Saw one at the New Amsterdam

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#2re: Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 3:59pm

I used to work for a Tony winner who was married to a multiple award winner and who had on their shelves everything but an Oscar and Golden Globe.
They even had one broken Tony. The medallion is nice but the base is pretty cheap.

neddyfrank2
#3re: Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 4:00pm

I used to think that the base of the tony was made out of a stone, then I held the La Jolla Playhouse's and it was cheap plastic. I have also held a Golden Globe, Emmy, and an Oscar (those are HEAVY!)

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#4re: Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 4:02pm

I belive that it was Patti Lupone who ran down the asle of the Winter Green theater and shouted "the base of the tony is plastic"

YessicaB
#5re: Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 4:03pm

....not yet...

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#6re: Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 4:04pm

My hands were inches away from an Oscar.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Renthead#1 Profile Photo
Renthead#1
#7re: Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 4:06pm

I have only seen an oscar at disney world for when they won for The Three Little Pigs and Snow White. I saw a tony at The New Amsterdam."

Go ask Alice When she's ten feet tall

neddyfrank2
#8re: Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 4:07pm

belive that it was Patti Lupone who ran down the asle of the Winter Green theater and shouted "the base of the tony is plastic"

What, when was this?

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#9re: Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 4:09pm

Wouldn't it have to be when she won?

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#10re: Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 4:10pm

Yup. At the last Broadway Flea Market, Jeff Marx and Bobby Lopez were at the Avenue Q table with their Tony Award. I asked to take a picture with them and Rod and donated $5 for the picture. They didn't ask but it was the least I could've given.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

Thesbijean
#11re: Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 4:23pm

I have held a couple before, very empowering...

VocalLizzy Profile Photo
VocalLizzy
#12re: Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 4:30pm

re: Ever held a Tony Award?

Tony Awards Gala last year. I approached Liev Schreiber and we were chatting for a few minutes when I asked if we could pose for a photo.

He agreed, but he was holding his award casually at his side. I playfully scolded him and said, "Show that thing off, be proud of it!"

He then handed his Tony Award to me. I asked if he was sure and he said "Yes. You hold it for the photo."

*thud*

All I could think, despite the serene, glowing smile on my face was, "DON"T DROP THE F***ING THING!!!!!"

Lizzy

latheatrelover
#13re: Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 4:31pm

No, but I have held an Oscar. Heavier than it looks.

Zikes Profile Photo
Zikes
#14re: Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 4:52pm

re: Ever held a Tony Award?

I used to work at The Goodman Theatre, and one day while cleaning out the cases, I snapped a picture of myself holding Robert Falls' tony for "Death of a Salesman."

Um.....Or Not.
Updated On: 6/2/06 at 04:52 PM

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#15re: Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 5:04pm

I've SEEN a Tony, but never touched one (yet!)

However, my dad was friends with Oscar winner Art Carney before he died, and once we visited his house and he let me hold his Oscar. Those things are heavier than they look!

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#16re: Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 5:07pm

VocalLizzy, (ps awesome name, mine's Liz *Lizzie to some* as well). Awesome story about Liev Schreiber and great picture! I absolutely adore that man. I hope he returns to the stage soon, I'm dying to meet him!

SorryGrateful
#17re: Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 5:08pm

I've only seen the ones that Steppenwolf has (for Frank Galati, I believe) and the one at the Cincinnati Playhouse. I'd love to touch one.

You promised me poems. ~Tricky

Standing_O
#18re: Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 5:09pm

I held one at a friend's apartment. I even made a speech. I'm so uncool.

SorryGrateful
#19re: Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 5:11pm

Was it your friend's, or did your friend abscond with someone else's Tony?

You promised me poems. ~Tricky

neddyfrank2
#20re: Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 5:12pm

I think the Oscar's are 8 pounds, and they feel like they are 8 pounds too.

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#21re: Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 5:12pm

A local theater in Houston has one, which I gaze at lovingly earch time I see it. re: Ever held a Tony Award?

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

showbiz287 Profile Photo
showbiz287
#22re: Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 5:14pm

SorryGrateful

Curt Columbus who is now artistic director at Trinity Rep came from Steppenwolf, he's one of the nicest, most genuine person I have ever met

"I'll eat some breakfast, then change the world."
Updated On: 6/2/06 at 05:14 PM

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#23re: Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 5:17pm

No, but Michael Cerveris has a cousin who manages a small theater in Pittsburgh. His cousin and I were talking about a fundraiser that the theater was going to have and she said that she was going to try to get Michael to come out here for it. I suggested that she get him to bring his Tony and they could raise money if they charged people to have their picture holding it.

I'd pay twenty or thirty bucks to do that!

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

jsrocks
#24re: Ever held a Tony Award?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 5:50pm

VocalLizzy, that's a really great picture. re: Ever held a Tony Award? And so nice of Liev! re: Ever held a Tony Award?

"Michael's got a head like a Ping Pong Ball" -The Cast of Sweeney-

Videos