Side Show Chicago

icantbelive
#0Side Show Chicago
Posted: 6/17/06 at 6:40pm

Anyone see it in Chicago? Im thinking of seeing it, it got great reviews, but im not quite sure? Is it worth seeing? Is the cast good. PLEASE POST REVIEWS
Updated On: 6/17/06 at 06:40 PM

SweetQintheLights
#1re: Side Show Cicago
Posted: 6/17/06 at 6:42pm

You might want to spell Chicago right in your thread title.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

Zikes Profile Photo
Zikes
#2re: Side Show Cicago
Posted: 6/18/06 at 3:46pm

GO SEE THIS SHOW!

Sorry for the CAPS, but this is an amazing show! (of course I'm biased, as I did the set, but who cares?)

The tickets are only $25 bucks and are 2 for one Thursday for industry folks, so it's really not that big a gamble.

-Zikes.

Um.....Or Not.
Updated On: 6/19/06 at 03:46 PM

Kringas
#3re: Side Show Cicago
Posted: 6/18/06 at 3:57pm

I'm going to see it tonight. I'll post a review later.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#4re: Side Show Cicago
Posted: 6/18/06 at 9:35pm

You might want to spell Chicago right in your thread title.

Hell, they spelled "believe" wrong in their username.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
Kringas
#6re: Side Show Chicago
Posted: 6/19/06 at 4:13am

I saw it tonight and it deserves all the praise it has gotten.

I saw the OBC in 1997 and adored the show (I realize that I'm in a minority). The Bohemian Theatre Ensemble's production not only brought back some fine memories of the original production, it also stands firmly on its own merits.

All of the actors in the five major roles did an outstanding job, particularly Vannesa Panerosa's Daisy and Eric Lindahl's Buddy. The nine person ensemble was a versatile bunch, working hard and sounding great.

The intimate stage never looks crowded and is almost always used to its advantage, a testament to the fine direction by Stephen M. Genovese and set designer John Zuiker. Costumer Theresa Ham designed costumes that actually evoked the time period and looked era and character appropriate (which is a mark often missed by smaller scale theatres).

I'm pretty new to Chicago, so I don't know much about the company. I assume that as a small non-Equity company they don't have much of a budget (as has been the case with all the small non-Equity companies I've worked with). If that's the case with this one, you'd never know it, as the production values were high.

While there are a few directorial choices with which I disagreed, they were minor and didn't detract from the show.

I urge everyone in the area to go see this impressive production of Side Show. With so much talent onstage and off, I plan on checking out the company's future productions as well.

Damn. Good. Show.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

icantbelive
#7re: Side Show Chicago
Posted: 6/19/06 at 10:38am

I admit it I cant spell okay! Sorry, i failed spelling.

Also, great review Kingras. Thanks Updated On: 6/19/06 at 10:38 AM

Zikes Profile Photo
Zikes
#8re: Side Show Chicago
Posted: 6/20/06 at 6:34pm

Thanks for the kind words Kringas. Tell your friends to go see the show.

-Zikes.

Um.....Or Not.

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#9re: Side Show Chicago
Posted: 6/22/06 at 8:45pm

I saw the production when I was in Chicago last weekend for a business trip and I am glad I did. I play the cast recording religiously. After seeing the show, it makes me very unhappy again that the entire score was not preserved on CD (though I fear I may be in the minority- some say its repetitive).

I should not compare the two young girls to Emily Skinner and Alice Ripley's vocals so I won't. I think, based on the plot, their performances captured the unique aspects of each twin's personality. I was particularly impressed with the actors' who took on Daisy Hilton and Buddy.

All in all, a great production that made good use of the space and a small ensemble. On a small note, I am glad they did not include the ensemble in on "Who will Love me as I am?" That annoyed me on the cast recording. This elimination of their final phrase made much more sense in the show.

I also saw Tick Tick Boom. Scary neighborhood, but incredible show. Great casting choices and I was happy to see how Susan sang the score instead of yelling it. Sorry, not a fan of Amy Spanger on the cast recording. A shame the audience was so small. If you are in the area, go see this production!

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)
Updated On: 2/24/08 at 08:45 PM

Videos