News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for mrkringas

mrkringas Profile Photo
Member Name: mrkringas
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

American Psycho OBCR released 3/25  Feb 8 2016, 08:40:04 AM

https://twitter.com/TheDuncanSheik/status/440358278204108801

It appears that the London cast was recorded and is presumably being released to coincide with the Broadway production.

Would suspect highly unlikely there would be a Broadway cast album given the sheer cost involved.

The Color Purple Announcement Today  Mar 16 2015, 02:54:35 PM
Cynthia Erivo is one of the most exciting young British performers to emerge in recent years. I first noticed her in the ensemble of the flop "The Umbrellas of Cherboug" she went on to lead the national tour of Sister Act before wining those rave reviews for the stripped down "The Color Purple".

She is an incredibly honest actor who is just as comfortable in Shakespeare as she is with a high F. Benefit of the RADA training I guess. She is also the only performer I've seen who was capa

HUNCHBACK La Jolla Previews  Nov 10 2014, 07:50:47 AM
I think it sounds fabulous. The one difference not so keen on is the duet version of Someday but small things.

Also Made of Stone isn't in a lower key. He still has that awesome B flat but ends on something more like G rather than the ridiculous long top C from falsetto to full on mix.

Arden is giving a really interesting performance.

Oh and surely the top D at end of the title sung is still there? Just sung by soprano in the choir.

Earl Carpenter (Les Mis on Sat night)  Aug 25 2014, 05:23:33 PM
I've seen Earl play Javert opposite several Valjeans. He remains my favourite in the role.

Pretty good in Phantom, Sunset Boulevard, Secret Garden and everything else I've seen him in. Delighted getting to make his broadway debut.

From Here to Eternity cast album not available on US iTunes  Jul 4 2014, 08:38:28 AM
Be grateful you are spared. Dreadful show only worth seeing early on in the run for the sheer camp hilarity of the entire affair.
The Light Princess  Nov 28 2013, 03:58:39 PM
The score is very much a musical theatre score with its use of leitmotif and lyrics that at least drive forward or reveal character. Something that pop composers sometimes seem to forget and end up writing a one note song that doesn't say more than the title.

SPOILERS

"Althea" is the first duet between our romantic couple. The staging is quite breathtaking. The theme is reprised later in the show to great impact. Note the two distinct melodies and rhythmic structure t

Curious Incident and British Theatre  Nov 13 2013, 06:05:36 AM
The Donmar production of "The Night Alive" is transferring to off-Broadway.
Also Carrie Cracknell's production of "A Doll's House" is heading your way and unmissable.

"Chimerica" should transfer but won't after a poor commercial run.

"Charlie & the Chocolate Factory" is bound to end up with you eventually.

If I were a betting man then Matt Smith in "American Psycho" screams Broadway transfer rather than West End run.

You should pray that you are spared "Fr

Donmar Warehouse Julius Caesar  Oct 7 2013, 09:57:47 PM
If its the full cast that were in London then you are in for a treat. Pay attention to Cush Jumbo, a real star in the making in London.
BIG FISH Reviews  Oct 7 2013, 06:15:54 PM
I like Bobby's tone. His solo "Stranger" appeared to touch a few nerves. I also rated the score overall and found in melodic, memorable and appropriate to the story.

And the show itself was highly enjoyable that left me an emotional mess. And I'm a cynical Scotsman.

If I had one quibble with the score then I couldn't figure out the early key change in "Time Stops" unless it was to facilitate Kate Baldwin's range when she joined the duet a few bars later. Otherwise this was the

Fun Home rush  Oct 7 2013, 06:09:47 PM
Great show. Wonderful score. Left me in tears for much of the afternoon. Also laughed a lot.

Is this the first time the story of a gay woman has been told in a musical as the protagonist?

Also loved Judy Kuhn's number near the end. Great writing with all the anger and rage in her lower, belt range before slipping back in the public mask and composing herself back into the upper range we hear earlier in the score.

The Light Princess  Sep 29 2013, 07:18:43 AM
I have the echo AvenueQResident in everything written. This is a lush, complex score that is beautifully orchestrated and performed by a terrific ensemble. So much talent in this case.

Rosalie Craig has been a treat for a number of years. She was one of the good things in Lord of the Rings, belted crap out of Aspects of Love, impressed as Mother in Ragtime and had her moments with Finding Neverland. I've also seen her in a few plays and pretty sure she did London Road? So yes slowly asc

NATASHA, PIERRE AND THE GREAT COMET to Move to Tent on 45th  Sep 27 2013, 05:43:30 AM
This is the one show I want to see next week that will be forced to see on my own.. is there seating that accommodates that? Has anyone been to see this solo and can comment?

I love seeing theatre solo and have no inhibition about it but this sounds more like interactive cabaret which can have a different vibe entirely.

Matilda OBC digital download?  Sep 27 2013, 04:31:41 AM
Slightly obsessed with Taylor Trensch's timing in "Telly" - completely different take from the London production.

Also having seen Bertie early in London and in his final week - it is great to have another recording that more closely represents where his performance evolved.

And finding it hard not to well up listening to the Escapologist Stories. Great inclusion. Although thankfully they cut that song for the Russian in early Stratford previews. Would have brought the evening

Matilda OBC digital download?  Sep 26 2013, 06:29:55 AM
This sounds fantastic. And great to see it released in the UK iTunes store. We are often left behind with such things.

EDIT: For those interested the the Story songs should appear as following

Naughty
Acrobat story 1
This Little Girl
Acrobat Story 2
When I Grow Up
Acrobat Story 3
Acrobat Story 4
The Smell of Rebellion

Sep 17 2013, 07:47:49 AM
"Funny" from City of Angels

Plenty of songs can be "angry" depending on the subtext you add!

Most Epic Song Climax?  Sep 12 2013, 06:46:26 AM
A Weekend in the Country with original orchestrations.
Made of Stone from Hunchback of Notre Dame
New Music from Ragtime
Til We Reach that Day from Ragtime
Ragtime from Ragtime (spotting a theme here!)

Hands on a Hardbody  Aug 28 2013, 01:44:12 PM
Delightful cast album. Any word on the sheet music getting a release?
Menier Chocolate Factory production of THE COLOR PURPLE?  Aug 18 2013, 05:53:04 PM
So in answer to the original post.. I've seen this production. It is an excellent example of performers and a director elevating mediocre material.

The break out star is Cynthia Erivo as Celie. She excels in the role. RADA trained and belts at least one note La Chanze sings in head voice on the cast album. But more important than her vocal quality - its a grounded, focused performance amid a sea of some of the best singing I've heard on a London stage in a long time.

I still ha

Sondheim Masterclass -- Who Is This Girl?  Aug 13 2013, 06:09:54 AM
Love Clare Burt. In more recent years she was in London Road and Vernon God Little. And was sensational in Closer than Ever - in the Life Story track.
13 Original London Cast Recording  Dec 3 2012, 07:11:51 AM
It was a wonderful production.

Directed by Jason Robert Brown himself with great choreography from Drew McOnie and a week long run at the Apollo Theatre in the West End.

Easily on my highlights this year. Some savvy and assured performances that finally made me care about a show I didn't really get into from just listening to the score.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You