BIG FISH Reviews

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#1BIG FISH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/13 at 2:26pm

Today is Sunday, October 6, marking the official opening night of BIG FISH on Broadway! Starring Norbert Leo Butz, Kate Baldwi, and Bobby Steggert, the show includes a book by John August and original score by Andrew Lippa. Direction and choreography by Susan Stroman. BIG FISH plays the Neil Simon Theatre.

Please, post reviews here as they roll in!

Best to all involved!

- M :)

ClaraJohnson
#2BIG FISH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/13 at 5:46pm

I'd say mixed-to-positive from Chicago Tribune. Loves Norbert and the emotional core of the story. Says a lot was fixed from Chicago, but he makes a lot of apologies for the rest.
Review: Chicago Tribune 'Big Fish' Broadway

ClaraJohnson
#2BIG FISH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/13 at 5:51pm

Negative - two stars. Didn't go for any of it.

Review: amNY 'Big Fish' Broadway Updated On: 10/6/13 at 05:51 PM

ClaraJohnson
#3BIG FISH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/13 at 7:24pm

Mixed from TimeOut - 3 stars out of 5. Adam Feldman felt it should've been great but instead it's "the one that got away." He pretty much blames Andrew Lippa's score, saying that everyone else did a good job. BIG FISH Reviews

Review: TimeOut 'Big Fish' Broadway

Dollypop
#4BIG FISH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/13 at 7:40pm

Lippa's score is okay. It's the overblown production that does this one in.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 10/6/13 at 07:40 PM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#5BIG FISH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/13 at 7:46pm

I would agree that the production is even worse than the score, but that's about the only favorable comparison I can put the music and especially lyrics in.

Dollypop
#6BIG FISH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/13 at 7:50pm

I said the score was merely "okay". During intermission, I mentioned to my companion that I would have loved to hear what Jerry Herman could have come up with if he did the score. Not only did my companion agree, but so did several people who overheard the conversation.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#7BIG FISH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/13 at 8:10pm

3 stars is a pretty fair assessment of it.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#8BIG FISH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/13 at 8:20pm

yep. should be the general reviews for everyone. mixed-to-positive(3 stars out of 5).

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#10BIG FISH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/13 at 9:04pm

NY Post is mixed, with 2 1/2 out of 4 stars: http://nypost.com/2013/10/06/hack-score-undermines-broadway-version-of-big-fish/

Hollywood Reporter is mixed: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/big-fish-theater-review-644026

Most of the reviews seem to echo my final thoughts about it; for such a fantastical show, the book and score are surprisingly uninspired and ordinary.
Updated On: 10/6/13 at 09:04 PM

indytallguy
#11BIG FISH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/13 at 9:06pm

"hack score" from the Post. Ouch.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#12BIG FISH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/13 at 9:43pm

Saw it and, for me, Lippa's score is the main problem. I had no problem with the book. And it is beautiful to look at.

Just give the world Love.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#13BIG FISH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/13 at 9:45pm

Had Jerry Herman been linked to this in past?

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

indytallguy
#14BIG FISH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/13 at 9:49pm

So much in Mark Kennedy's AP review is just ridiculous.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#15BIG FISH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/13 at 10:07pm

Variety is mostly positive, although I have no idea what show she saw, judging by this quote: "Resisting the usual Broadway tendency toward over-production, this show is perfectly scaled to the modest level of Edward's boyish daydreams. Invention, not excess, seems to be the dominant house rule[...]"

http://variety.com/2013/legit/reviews/broadway-review-big-fish-1200700284/

NY Times (Brantley) is mixed to negative: http://theater.nytimes.com/2013/10/07/theater/reviews/susan-stroman-directs-big-fish-on-broadway.html

USA Today is mixed, with 2 1/2 out of 4 stars: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/theater/2013/10/06/broadway-review-big-fish/2920353/ Updated On: 10/6/13 at 10:07 PM

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#16BIG FISH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/13 at 10:16pm

Variety says a Norman Leo Butz is the lead actor in the show. That's news to me.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#17BIG FISH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/13 at 10:16pm

TDF here we come

Poster Emeritus

massofmen
#18BIG FISH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/13 at 10:20pm

brantley is negative. Lets be honest.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#19BIG FISH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/13 at 10:22pm

He has some commendable things to say about the visual aspects of the show, as well as the cast.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#20BIG FISH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/13 at 10:34pm

BIG FISH Reviews

according to brantley's (rather handy) site his review is Negative. The thumb has spoken

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

massofmen
#21BIG FISH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/13 at 10:35pm

exactly. Its negative. "the sets are pretty and Bobby steggert is a cutie". is essentially what he said.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#22BIG FISH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/13 at 10:38pm

Changed it to mixed/negative.

But for the record, DidHeLikeIt.com is not directly affiliated with Brantley in any way. Nor is it affiliated with The NY Times. It's not "his" site.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#23BIG FISH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/13 at 10:48pm

DidHeLikeIt.com is owned by producer Ken Davenport. It has absolutely no affiliation with Ben Brantley nor the NY Times. (Why would the NY Times, nor any other review publication, link to OTHER reviews?)

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#24BIG FISH Reviews
Posted: 10/6/13 at 11:48pm

I saw this show in the second week of previews and I was astounded that the people around me were so into it while I was unmoved. Brantley summed up my thoughts about this show almost exactly. NLB, among many other talented people in this cast, deserve much better work from the creative team than what they were given with this show.

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?