News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for dry2olives

dry2olives Profile Photo
Member Name: dry2olives
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

John Lithgow's Best Broadway Performance
 Feb 21 2020, 11:08:41 AM

I would say Requiem For A Heavyweight.  I felt like I was watching my generation's equivalent to Brando in Streetcar.

!
 Jan 5 2019, 01:28:50 AM

I'm surprised this thread has gone this long with no mention of Mary Testa.

SWEET CHARITY Revival
 Nov 4 2016, 11:34:52 PM

To newintown:  The modern equivalent to a dance hall girl would be a lap dancer, although a more fully clothed one.  When guys went to see Charity, or any of the other ladies, the dance was an excuse to hold her close and see how much she'd let him touch her.  There were rules restricting how much contact could be made, but for the right price anything would be possible.  Simon has Charity say a line explaining that she doesn't go as far as some of the others.

Can a white person be cast as Hamilton or Angelica?
 Jan 4 2016, 09:53:58 AM

Lin-Manuel Miranda has stated in at least one interview that such matters should always follow the author's intention.  The script that will be sent to regional and amateur companies doing Hamilton will contain a casting guide.  Also, he said that he's fine with high schools with not a lot of Latino students casting white actors in In The Heights, as long as they don't use stereotype makeup and accents.  He says that high school is the only place he would allow that

Drama Desks 2016
 Dec 31 2015, 02:02:41 AM

Why hasn't a caucasian Simba been cast?
 Oct 20 2013, 08:11:02 PM
When I saw The Lion King around 1999-2000 or so there was a white Simba. I don't remember who it was. Young Simba was played by a black actor.
Tony Awards Committee Decides CINDERELLA is a Revival & More After Latest Meeting
 Mar 21 2013, 04:37:43 PM
Although there have been other stage adaptations of the Cinderella TV specials produced around the country, this version takes nothing from them. What's now playing on Broadway has nothing in common with what has played at City Opera, Paper Mill or any other theatre except for the core of songs written for television. It is a new adaptation of the television specials and a new musical.
Changing the Spanish in WSS revival
 Oct 15 2012, 10:14:21 AM
While having dialogue/lyrics in Spanish did confuse people unfamiliar with the show, the way the language was used made sense dramatically. The Sharks spoke Spanish when they were among themselves or when they didn't want the Jets to know what they were saying. The Puerto Rican women used English when Anita was around because she was the leader who favored assimilation into the American way of life, but they went back to Spanish when she wasn't around ("I Feel Pretty"). Having Anita go back t
Cole Porter's Nymph Errant
 Aug 21 2012, 12:21:52 AM
Nymph Errant was originally a large cast West End musical with different actors playing all the men.
Sono Osato as Ivy in ON THE TOWN
 May 31 2012, 11:55:50 AM
No, it wasn't a scene. It was a posed publicity shot, not on stage.
Sono Osato as Ivy in ON THE TOWN
 May 31 2012, 11:40:41 AM
I remember seeing a publicity still of the three lead couples, except she was left out of it and replaced with the actress playing Lucy.
Movie to Musical Adaptations
 May 17 2012, 02:51:29 PM
Although Shaw's play came first, Lerner and Loewe actually used the film of Pygmalion as their guideline for writing My Fair Lady.
Non-Singing Roles that Were Nominated for a Tony
 May 15 2012, 09:12:48 AM
Natalia Makarova didn't sing at all in On Your Toes and won best actress.
critics tip off?
 Apr 20 2012, 01:53:28 AM
There are several dates designated as press performances, some just before and some just after opening night. Critics receive invitations from the press agents weeks in advance and they rsvp for the dates they want. Actors may not want to know exactly who is coming when, but they are aware when a performance has been designated as a press date.
Alice Playten in Henry Sweet Henry (1967)
 Apr 19 2012, 10:30:25 AM
William Goldman explained in his book The Season that while audiences were enjoying Alice Playten's performance during out of town tryouts, it wasn't until they came to New York for a week and a half of previews that audiences began enthusiastically responding to the character's campiness and she started stealing the show.
How To Succeed's 1962 Pulitzer Prize WTF?
 Feb 27 2012, 05:02:17 AM
Aside from whether or not How To Succeed deserved the prize (I think it did) another factor to consider is that Guys and Dolls was selected as the Pulitzer winner in 1950, but because Abe Burrows was blacklisted by HUAC it was decided not to give an award that year. That might have influenced the selection of How To Succeed a bit in order to make it up to Loesser and Burrows.
Why did Kristin win the 1999 Tony?
 Nov 19 2011, 01:12:33 PM
Another major factor was that Lea DeLaria, who won the Drama Desk Award that season for her performance as Hildy in On The Town, wasn't nominated for a Tony. Hers was one of the best reviewed and talked about performances of the season and had she been nominated she might have been favored to win.

EDIT -- My mistake. DeLaria was nominated for a DD but Chenoweth won.

2012 Tony Eligibility Decided for Taymor, Daly, SPIDER-MAN, FOLLIES & More
 Nov 3 2011, 04:07:41 PM
Re: Follies, the only decision to be made was that none of the 4 above the title leads would be considered supporting, so they didn't have to announce anything.

Regarding Tyne Daly, yes it's obvious she would be eligible as lead actress in a play, but her name was billed below the title so they have to make it official.

2012 Tony Eligibility Decided for Taymor, Daly, SPIDER-MAN, FOLLIES & More
 Nov 3 2011, 03:57:06 PM
Julie Taymor is not billed as director in the Spider-Man Playbill credits. In fact, nobody is billed as director.

Theatres that you could see getting a name change?
 Sep 3 2011, 12:06:12 PM
Snapple put 2 new theatres in Times Square and used them to house two long-running shows that closed because their theatres were destroyed in order to build something more profitable. Then they named one of the theatres after Jerry Orbach. I say, let them be the Snapple Theatre Center for as long as they want.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You