News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for InTheRed

InTheRed Profile Photo
Member Name: InTheRed
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Favorite Sondheim Intricate Rhyming Lyrics
 Feb 26 2006, 10:45:37 PM

Artists are bizarre, fixed, cold.
That's you George you're bizarre, fixed, cold.
I like that in a man - fixed, cold.
God! It's hot out here!

SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE

re: Seeing 'Sweeney' Thurs- SO PUMPED !!!
 Feb 26 2006, 05:40:06 PM
Yer gonna LOVETT!

(sorry, but I mean it!)

re: Sweeney Todd -- Approrpriate for 14 year old?
 Feb 25 2006, 11:38:02 PM
Hell yes!

Go for it!

re: Sweeney Todd questions (WARNING: Possible spoilers!)
 Feb 24 2006, 07:07:29 PM
Hey DRS,
on behalf of me and my 2 cents,
you're welcome!!

Hope you post your thoughts. Don't worry about redundancy - a lot of people learn through repetition!

Feb 24 2006, 05:41:17 PM
Alex is ****ing hiLARious!
Glad you saw it and loved it, and glad the thread could help.
Yay!

Hey!
Everyone go read the "worst show poster" thread - I just posted and vented about sweeney's, and I'd love you guys to check it out and respond, if so moved.
I'm on page 4

Thanks!

re: Worst Show Poster
 Feb 24 2006, 05:37:29 PM
FINALLY! A chance to discuss this!

I'm sorry to have to report that, IMO, my beloved Sweeney Todd has the worst poster in town!
Did the artist(s) even SEE the production?!
Blue?
Why BLUE! Tell me!!
There's not a stitch of blue anywhere on that stage that I can see - even Tobias' pj's look steel gray to me.

Home runs could easily have been hit by using the excellent black, white, and red color themes displayed throughout.
(White Stripes, any

Feb 24 2006, 04:32:16 PM
They're both great.
I think there should be an "ensemble" Tony given to the entire cast for this production. What is asked of them is so unique and they do such a paticularly spectacualr job at executing the tremendous tasks required of them night after night, (after matinee after matinee - sheesh!)
I don't know that Broadway has ever seen the likes of such a thing, and I wish that the production and cast was handsomely and creatively awarded/rewarded for it's brilliance. That way,

Feb 17 2006, 04:30:49 PM
The first time I saw the show, I jumped in my seat and put my hand over my mouth when Sweeney brought out the gun and showed it off.
I jumped really high, actually, which was embarrasing because I was in the f'ing front row. At that point, in that production, I figured anything was possible and was instinctively terrified at the thought of a gun going "Bang!".
(I was so close you see.)
So, I guess they got me!

re: Manoel Felciano Rocks!
 Feb 14 2006, 01:13:59 AM
Wow!
Thanks BC, as usual!

Hope you'll share more details if/when they occur to you.

"Higher ups"?? cool!

re: Mostly Sondheim Fridays at The Duplex hosted by MOI!
 Feb 13 2006, 09:01:16 PM
LOL BobbyBubby!
re: shows on today?
 Feb 12 2006, 05:56:56 PM
For us out-of-towners...

Describe! Describe!
How crazy is it??

:)

Feb 11 2006, 07:01:55 PM
Aren't there flowers lit at one point?
When Mrs. Lovett sings "By the Sea"?

Feb 11 2006, 02:14:01 PM
They light the crucifix when the judge is singing his "Johanna"!
I think they light it at other points too...

Feb 11 2006, 01:30:23 AM
hey necromancer,

Interesting question! - I guess my first thought was that the characters on stage are already in an asylum, (and a rather bare bones one at that), therefore they are already part of the underclass, the discarded, the poor. That ties into my idea of the audience being seen as outsiders, i.e. other doctors or society donors or various types of folks in more well-off positions.
I was thinking if I were on the stage, I would see all the older, well-dressed peop

Feb 10 2006, 10:25:03 PM
BTW:

His choice for most romantic song from a play being, "The Internet Is For p*rn" from Avenue Q is beyond hysterical!
That was the most refreshing/interesting selection on that list IMO, although I love that Patti rebelled and picked a Joni Mitchell song. She's so cool - desrcibing it as "besotted".
Fantastic.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=886382&dt=42

Feb 10 2006, 10:16:02 PM
r.e. Cerveris:
I love how they light him on stage!
His eyes appear so hollowed out, you swear he's looking right at you through much of the show - especially when he's hanging off the back wall near the piano, looking mournfully out into the crowd... of course it's impossible to tell where he's really looking, but that part always has such pathos, IMO.
Scary sad.
I'm glad to hear he's nice.

Feb 10 2006, 07:21:35 PM
hey mint round 2!

It's a testament to Cerveris' performance that he convinced you so!
He really does such a great job, terriying everybody!

Feb 10 2006, 07:17:51 PM
hey mint -
I think the play is insinuating that we all, PEOPLE all have the potential to wind up insane. Life circumstances, unfortunately, drive some people there sooner than others... (see Beggar Woman, Sweeney, Tobias.)
But don't worry - luckilly most folks never wind up in those positions/situations -
That's why there are so many "happy" musicals!

Forgive me if this is was super obvious!

Feb 10 2006, 06:27:45 PM
Holla Chica, James2 et al!

What a great thrill to have an outlet of like-minded peeps.
Pre internet, I would have wound up boring my friends in coffee shops with tales of all of this, going on about this great man who wrote this great show, directed by another great man! (I don't know many Sondheim fans, and I'm not sure that my friends would have understood or even been interested in the issues raised in this thread, despite my graphic, impassioned, encouraging descriptions!)

Feb 10 2006, 05:04:35 AM

"A more literal interpretation would be that we're all inmates in the asylum - we're all crazy, we're all mad. We're all victims and victimizers. So, what we're watching is not merely an entertaining show, from which we can escape our dreary lives. We're implicated in the horrors, we're PART of the story."

I agree in the sense that this show is pointing out an aspect of humankind's condition. It shows us what can happen to a human-being-wronged! (Like Sweeney, they may turn into a

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You