News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Kad

Kad Profile Photo
Member Name: Kad
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Happy 5th Anniversary, MOULIN ROUGE!
 Jul 26 2024, 02:19:57 PM

Yeah, celebrating the 5th anniversary of its opening is far, far cleaner than deducting the time lost to COVID and then coming up with a new date to celebrate.

BOOP! The Betty Boop Musical - Pre-Broadway Chi
 Jul 26 2024, 02:17:37 PM

It's already been reported Boop's capitalization is somewhere around $25mil - it's already a very expensive production.

Laurie Beechman Theatre & West Bank Cafe to close
 Jul 26 2024, 09:42:20 AM

They would benefit from some change in management, particularly on the Beechman side of things. While it’s natural they’d lose some ground to places like 54 Below or Green Room 42 in the last decade, they’ve lost many of the bigger names that used to perform there. They haven’t made their pricing more accessible, as the trend has been for other venues. Their website looks like it hasn’t been changed since the early 2000s. It’s not clear if they have an

Peter Dinklage, Lupita Nypng'o, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Sandra Oh to star in Shakespeare in the Park's TWELFTH NIGHT
 Jul 25 2024, 03:09:51 PM

Incredible initial cast but announcing over a year in advance would seem to risk at least one or more of these actors dropping out. 

Edit: Ermengarde, we have to stop meeting like this!

Broadways carbon footprint
 Jul 25 2024, 10:17:41 AM

In the big scheme of things, Broadway costumes are absolutely nothing compared to the excesses and waste of fast fashion.  Broadway costumes are meticulously cared for and when custom-built are durable and made to last as long as possible and yes, often make their way into rental houses and stocks of regional theaters to be reused. It’s common to see costume pieces from decades ago still in use at regional theaters.  The H&M in Times Square is &nbs

Patrick Marber will direct THE PRODUCERS for London’s Menier Chocolate Factory, beginning November 2024
 Jul 25 2024, 10:07:13 AM

In the original movie, SFH is not especially lavish at all. The Broadway show ratcheted it up substantially when they turned it from a 3 minute-ish number and a couple book scenes into a 10 minute show stopping  production number. In fact, I would argue that the musical made SFH too objectively good. Remember, it’s supposed to be tasteless and so bad it’s funny, the result of a bad writer, bad director, and bad actors all bringing their misguided visions to

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
 Jul 25 2024, 09:47:50 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Looks like there's only 3 offstage covers? That's REALLY over-optimistic for Covid times + a show this physically demanding + some performers who aren't of the musical theatre world and 8x a week is a beast."

That was my thought as well. Yes, it’s off-Broadway, but this is a big and demanding show. Canceling so many performances is not a great way to enter its final weeks- it feels like it’s sapping the energy ou

Adam Lambert -Cabaret
 Jul 24 2024, 01:47:26 PM

JSquared2 said: "Kad said: "
In what universe is Adam Lambert considered a "B Lister"? He's certainly as big (if not bigger) than Nick Jonas.
"

It's not a knock on him or his talent, and I certainly don't particularly care about Nick Jonas either way, but Jonas is undeniably a different level of celebrity than Lambert. 

Ragtime at City Center
 Jul 24 2024, 12:27:00 PM

Voter said: "So does this mean The Connector will transfer in the spring or summer if Ross is still attached to lead it still?"

The Connector isn’t transferring. 

and re: Suffs- Emma Goldman is not a large role. Taub will only need to take the weeks of Ragtime off. 

Adam Lambert -Cabaret
 Jul 24 2024, 12:22:12 PM

It’s intriguing casting but I’m not entirely sure how it’ll shake out, box office wise. I assume Lambert has a dedicated fan base that will turn out but I’m not sure about Cravalho being a big draw- people certainly know Moana but they may not know her, specifically. Regardless, I think it’s telling they went with 2 sort of B-list names rather than one A-lister in one of the roles. 

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
 Jul 23 2024, 07:02:05 PM

berniesb!tch said: "Broadway Flash said: "Umm everything? The score, the melodies, the gorgeous story, the beautiful performances, the stunning design. The direction, choreo. Outsiders won because gay men loved a single number in that dreary show."

I would love to meet you in real life to see what you're like. You fascinate me.
"

Well, without the BWW moderators effectively laundering Flash's reputation by continuously deleting al

THE QUEEN OF VERSAILLES musical will have pre-Bway tryout this summer in Boston
 Jul 23 2024, 06:56:58 PM

kdogg36 said: "Wayman_Wong said: "In a musical, a song is the lifeblood of a character. If that character doesn't sing (or sing very much), it's hard to get that invested in their role. And it tells you how important that show feels about him/her and their emotional stake."

It seems like Tewfiq inThe Band's Visitisone exception to this rule. A lot of us - including apparently a lot of Tony voters! - found him to be a fully rounded mu

"Weird Al" Yankovic "having conversations" about writing a Broadway musical
 Jul 23 2024, 04:44:13 PM

I would be really surprised if he had any desire to actually appear in a Broadway show himself. Despite his Weird Al persona, he’s an exceptionally private and introverted person. He barely even speaks in his concerts. 

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
 Jul 23 2024, 04:36:36 PM

A friend just posted that they’ve received notice tonight’s performance is canceled, as well. 

Patrick Marber will direct THE PRODUCERS for London’s Menier Chocolate Factory, beginning November 2024
 Jul 23 2024, 04:17:17 PM

I believe Ockert died before the first workshops of the show and even before Lane was attached. He may have had a vision for the production, and he may have helped developed the script and left notes, but to imply Stroman did little but follow a recipe her husband left behind is both untrue and rather gross. 

OH, MARY! Reviews
 Jul 23 2024, 03:36:38 PM

I haven’t heard any plans for filming- and honestly, how often do straight plays get filmed these days?- but I had heard there were plans for further extensions if it seemed viable. If it’s reliably turning in these grosses, I can’t imagine this will be its only extension. It’s also a low cost show to run, which helps immensely. 

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
 Jul 23 2024, 01:33:13 PM

I knew Oh Mary was doing very well, but I genuinely am surprised by it cracking 1mil! That’s incredible

Jul 23 2024, 12:39:17 PM

I’m a big fan of The Producers, but it is kind of hard to imagine it being done well at a smaller scale unless it’s kind of a tongue-in-cheek, deliberately low-budget  Dames at Sea vibe. 

Laurie Beechman Theatre & West Bank Cafe to close
 Jul 23 2024, 11:50:40 AM

I’d like more details on why they didn’t or couldn’t receive those grants. 

"Weird Al" Yankovic "having conversations" about writing a Broadway musical
 Jul 23 2024, 11:19:22 AM

Weird Al is an extremely talented musician, a singular comedic voice, and by all accounts a truly wonderful person- I'm glad he's being appreciated more and more rather than being considered a novelty act or a punchline. You don't last over four decades in pop culture for no reason and in many cases, he's outlasted the very artists he's parodied. If this does come to pass, you can count on it being like very little else we've seen on Broadway.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You