News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for chernjam

chernjam Profile Photo
Member Name: chernjam
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

SUNSET BOULEVARD 2024 West End Cast Recording Thread
 Oct 25 2024, 11:47:24 PM

I dont remember ever being stuck in traffic before and being happy like I was today.  Got to sit and listen to the recording straight through two times today.  Memories of 31 years ago on a Friday just around this time of year being a Junior in college and finding an "Import" of the World Premiere Recording (for you young folk, no amazon, no streams, and the recording was released in the UK in August of 1993 with the American release not to come till closer to the LA openi

Oct 25 2024, 11:36:45 PM

Lot666 said: "chernjam said: "Billboard just released this interview with ALW about the new album in which they kind of leak/confirm his next musical is The Illusionists and that Jamie Lloyd is doing Evita in London this summer

https://www.billboard.com/music/pop/andrew-lloyd-webber-sunset-blvd-album-nicole-scherzinger-1235810398/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social
"
I could find no mention of The Illusionist in that article.
"

It appears to have been a "leak" because not only did I read it, but BWW was running a headline about it citing the Billboard article which about an hour or two later the headline was changed just to talk about Evita and the Billboard Article was changed.  So bizarre that there was no notice of the article being "edited" which I thought was standard protocol.  I thought it was so odd because it seemed like the most anti-climactic launch of a new project.  I'm assuming he got the rights issue worked out or I doubt he'd mention it to a reporter.  But probably wanted to wait to do  a proper launch

BACK TO THE FUTURE will close January 5, 2025
 Oct 24 2024, 10:48:56 PM

Wick3 said: "Did the Broadway production recoup?"

The way they touted all these other numbers and conspicuously did not even mention that made me think not 

Oct 24 2024, 06:17:35 PM

After seeing Jamie Lloyd's direction of Sunset Blvd two weeks ago now, and still thinking about it, I would love to see what he does with Evita.  Hal Prince has been the only one who seems to have had a successful production of it to date, and too many since have tried to soften Eva up... There's been some interesting clips I've seen here and there of other University's who've made attempts at it (I'm thinking of this one with the Ichyrus Myth as part of the tone with a stunning opening scene:  #MondayMusicalMoments | Opening Act I | Evita)  
Would imagine Jamie Lloyd bringing this back to the original much darker tone and intent that Rice and Lloyd Webber had when first writing it

Oct 24 2024, 03:30:21 PM

Billboard just released this interview with ALW about the new album in which they kind of leak/confirm his next musical is The Illusionists and that Jamie Lloyd is doing Evita in London this summer

https://www.billboard.com/music/pop/andrew-lloyd-webber-sunset-blvd-album-nicole-scherzinger-1235810398/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Oct 23 2024, 11:26:46 PM

spicemonkey said: "Thanks, I will def be streaming it on Apple Music on Friday!

As for my original question, sorry I was not clear, I pre-ordered a physical copy - was hoping to get it earlier LOL - i remember sometimes you could even buy the CD / Vinyl in theatre before the public release date : /
"

Yeah I'm with you on this... In my excitement that this was coming to Broadway and buying tickets pre-sale and opportunity to pre-purchase the CD's, I

SUNSET BLVD. Reviews
 Oct 22 2024, 04:15:56 PM

CreatureKitchen said: "This production modernizes the story in a way that I think feels much more relevant and exciting to the TikTok generation. And people are always going to be weirdly defensive of "their" Norma and tear down anyone who isn't Betty/Glenn/whoever their favorite is, so unfamiliar viewers will be more accepting without that bias.

That being said, I've also seen some confusion online from people who go in blind. Multiple people have been c

SUNSET BLVD. Reviews
 Oct 22 2024, 02:51:22 PM

Does the NY Times still do a second review on weekends by a different critic?  I'm out of the loop about how things have changed/are handled now, but that used to be the norm

Scherzinger in SUNSET BLVD. Previews
 Oct 20 2024, 10:44:29 AM

TotallyEffed said: "I haven’t read any of your comments but boy am I ready to do so.

I saw this last night. It’s clearly a major event. It’s must see theatre. And I do have positive things to say. The projections were absolutely remarkable. Next level. The vocals were sensational. And there’s some really fantastic stuff here.

But I really didn’t get this. I know the show like the back of my hand and I’ve avoi

Oct 19 2024, 03:12:26 PM

Dylan Smith4 said: "I was at MusicalCon in London today, and they offered exclusive first listening to the album. I got to hear Scherzinger's "With One Look" and "As If We Never Said Goodbye." I was in tears. The staff said I was one of the first of the general public to hear it. If you have not seen the show yet, y'all are not ready for this album!"

I can''t believe that I pre-ordered a physical copy of the CD's MONTHS ago...

Oct 19 2024, 03:07:19 PM

It's been a week since I saw this production - and having seen the revival, 2nd US Tour and 2017 revival over 12 times, Ithink it's fair to say I'm a mega-fan of this score.  And having continued to think back to a week ago, I think I can finally say it is much better to the previous incarnations.

One of the problems with the original was that they approached it almost with a reverence, taking Billy Wilder's observation ("the great thing is they didn't cha

Oct 17 2024, 12:52:24 PM

SonofRobbieJ said: "The8re phan said: "Jarethan said: "I saw this tonight and I was completely blown away. I had a little trepidation ‘earlyish’ in Act 1, basedon some of the silly expressions on Nicole Scherzinger’s face, which were a little over the top."

This kinda bothered me too at first...... but after the show, I realized that this was the same kind of 'awkward' as when a Baby Boomer or Gen X'er triesthe same

Oct 16 2024, 12:53:41 PM

Lot666 said: "How high is the stage? Is center orchestra row B too close?"

I had row C center orchestra and thought it was perfect - the stage didn't feel like it was too high at all

Oct 15 2024, 02:04:19 PM

Huss417 said: "I have seats in Orch C 2-4 and wondering if the projections are distorted that close to the stage.

Thanks. ;)
"

I had that row (and dead center) this past Saturday.  Will be shooting for those seats again.  Perfect view.  The stage is so deep that the screen is actually back a bit and it felt perfect - you had the intimacy of being able to make eye contact with the actors and didn't lose any sense of the scene from the vide

Oct 12 2024, 11:29:46 PM

My review aside... since this is still previews, kind of curious about a couple of things/ changes? (Spoilers possible with these discussions so don't read on if you want to go in completely blind:

1 - The show (first Matinee) started about 10 minutes later which I was surprised since they made it clear that it would start on time.  And there was no sign of the Young Norma until the very start of the show.  She wasn't standing in silence for a prolonged period of time

Oct 12 2024, 09:56:25 PM

How can something be so known - -to the point that I know every lyric, key change, and nuance to the score after listening to all these recordings for close to 30 years now along with having seen the original Broadway production, the US tour and 2017 revival at least 12 times... and now for well over a year, I have read every review breaking apart this new revival (and yes seen a share of clips online)

Yet I found myself completely unprepared for what I had just experienced at this

Oct 5 2024, 11:29:54 PM

It is remarkable to read some people's complaints about the Sunset Blvd walkaround. The show played in London for four months, and I don't think I read any frustration from pedestrians or observers of the show. A week in NY, and people are already making it something controversial.

This might end up getting filed under "Why we can't have nice things"

Sep 20 2024, 01:45:01 PM

I stayed up past midnight to hear the full track and have listened at least 3 times already - not counting watching the video twice.  The freshness and vitality that we've been hearing about the production is reflected already. The orchestrations are so crisp, Tom Francis sounds perfect - cannot wait to hear the full recording (and to see it) ... and cannot believe how great live recordings have come in terms of quality 

SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadway
 Sep 7 2024, 07:55:23 PM

Didn't realize the St. James was so big - just looking now and seeing that the Savoy had 600 fewer seats, and did they do 7 or 8 performances per week? ( I think it was Tuesday - Saturday with Matinees on Wed and Sat)  

All that being said, there was a lot of availability initially - and then starting selling out once performances began.  A theatre this size and looking at the number of seats already sold, I think the box office will be fine

SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadway
 Aug 31 2024, 07:38:41 PM

220Basswood said: "Hello. When I saw Glen Close in this show I thought it didn't have much of a set. It was a good show and I still recall her telling my mother and I after the show about her dog. Someone said the new production is "stripped down" so I am wondering if anyone knows what the sets will look like. The last production seemed like it had a stripped down set so I am wondering if the new one is(1) "stripped down" compared to the last one, which would

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You