News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for chernjam

chernjam Profile Photo
Member Name: chernjam
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadway
 Jul 12 2024, 07:23:33 PM

Just saw on another site that Caroline Bowman is rumored to be the alternative Norma 

SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
 Jun 21 2024, 11:48:45 PM

Listener said: "chernjam said: "Listener said: "

Why did someone say Andrew had nothing to do with this version? I assumed he set it all up for Sarah at great expense."

Sarah had said in interviews that Opera Australia had approached her to do Sunset Blvd - after that she had asked ALW his opinion and he had encouraged her to do it, but it seems that this production is being solely produced and conceived by OperaAustralia.

Jun 21 2024, 07:04:53 PM

Listener said: "

Why did someone say Andrew had nothing to do with this version? I assumed he set it all up for Sarah at great expense."

Sarah had said in interviews that Opera Australia had approached her to do Sunset Blvd - after that she had asked ALW his opinion and he had encouraged her to do it, but it seems that this production is being solely produced and conceived by OperaAustralia.  

ALW seems finally to be taking a step back

Jun 12 2024, 01:36:20 PM

This is so unfortunate because the blame will fall on Sarah Brightman who many thought from the beginning was not a good casting choice for Norma.  I have never been a fan of her voice - even decades ago when she recorded one of my favorites from Aspects of Love "Anything but lonely" with the altered ending that was added after the London Cast Recording - she paled in comparison to Ann Crumb.  
And unless I've missed it, you barely have had any official clips

May 30 2024, 04:35:10 PM

Ensemble1716440075 said: "They posted a trailer. You hear her say the famous line and sing a bit from "With One Look". Yeah, what I figured she'd sound like. She's really going for the heavy operatic sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKHZvPQyP2w&t=8s
"

It's telling that they barely feature Brightman singing in their ad/trailer and instead have two clips of Tim Draxl doing "Too Much in Love to Care" and the title song.

May 22 2024, 03:25:41 PM

I'm not a Brightman fan and wasn't excited at all for the casting, but appreciate people's perspectives especially giving her time to adjust to starring with an ensemble cast performing a role multiple times.  Here's hoping she's able to settle in by the time critics attend next week.  
In the meantime, I'm impressed with the pics we've seen of the set.  As excited as I am for the Jamie Lloyd production, it's exciting to see a massive p

Glenn Close gives a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie update
 May 3 2024, 02:38:47 PM

I was still on board with this in 2017 When Glenn did the broadway revival for 5 months. It felt at the time that was done to get buzz going and supposedly the script was done and they HAD a director (Rob Marshall I think?) But when it never came to fruition 7 years later it’s hard to imagine doing this. Especially with the London Revival being well received which was a radical departure from any semblance of the original.

I had wondered how Glenn was taking the lavish praise the

Apr 5 2024, 10:39:02 PM

Valentina3 said: "Robbie2 said: "Any idea who's the alternate Norma and which night?"

Just read a Kate Shindle interview of her stepping down as the Equity president. Think she will make a great Norma in this production.
"

You piqued my interest, so I checked this out as an audition :)
Kate Shindle sings "Losing My Mind" from Follies at 54 Below! (youtube.com)

I could see her in Sunset.  Her voice sounds like it has the range, and you can see the acting there too - not an easy song to do simply with a piano and standing in one place

Am curious what happened with Rachel Tucker if she turned this down or what the plan is

Apr 4 2024, 06:10:46 PM

nealb1 said: "It's interesting how some got the email after purchasing tickets to pre-order the cd, and others didn't. I never got it. :("

Don't think it's a  big secret so here goes

The site to order

HOME | Sunsetblvd (sunsetblvdalbum.com)

The code is EARLYSUNSET

Apr 3 2024, 08:58:00 PM

chernjam said: "Just bought my tickets and didn’t see any link for the album… was it just me?"

Just a follow up that I did get an email later in the day to pre-order the album, which I dutifully did.  But am I missing something or did I simply pre-order something that I could've just purchased in October with no benefit to buying early?  I kind of assumed that there would be an early release date for those who purchased or some sort of digi

Apr 3 2024, 10:25:45 AM

Just bought my tickets and didn’t see any link for the album… was it just me?

Apr 2 2024, 10:38:23 AM

I was under the impression they were sending a special link for pre sale (which I haven’t gotten yet)

Apr 1 2024, 02:44:07 PM

I guess I got confused with "starting prices" - have never ordered through seat geek, so I assumed they were giving the full range of tickets

jagman - pre-sales start tomorrow.  I believe (and expect myself) that if you're signed up you should get notification tmrw morning 

Apr 1 2024, 02:34:32 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "Starting prices are up there for some days, but not all which is odd. Depending on the day and the week, they go from55, 65, 75 & 79 as the starting price."

If I had to guess none of this stuff is accurate and just seatgeek getting their site ready for pre-sales.  I can't imagine tickets being that low.  That's lower than I paid for the original production in 1994

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
 Mar 24 2024, 11:57:52 PM

inception said: "I spent theday doing a big spring house cleaning and put on the Glenn Close recording. I've never seen the show, & this is the first time I've listened to it. I've seen the original film a few times in the past, maybe 25 years ago the last time.

So, what exactly do fans of this show like about it? From this recording it just seems like a rehash of the film with lousy songs.

I've been waiting for the announcement for the Fall,

Mar 9 2024, 10:25:36 AM

OK so who on here was originally saying Sunset would be opening at the St. James in the fall???

Feb 27 2024, 01:33:59 PM

SonofRobbieJ said: "chernjam said:SonofRobbieJ got this spot on - Thank youfor your patience and gentleness (particularly on this board) in bringing this all together"

That's very sweet, chernjam!

I also want to point out that, even thought the specifics of Sunset Boulevard is what happened when films went from silent to sound, the show is really about what is lost when technologies change and the people who cannot adapt get left behind. I thin

Feb 27 2024, 01:03:37 PM

SonofRobbieJ said: "QueenAlice said: "The entire production is built around a meta concept that supposes Nicole Sherzinger is a modern day equivalent to the Norma Desmond character."

And that is because Sunset Boulevard (in its original film incarnation) is itself a piece of meta cinema. The casting of Swanson, the use of her old silent films, von Stroheim's Max, the appearances of DeMille and Hopper as themselves, the casting of the 'wax works&#

Dec 5 2023, 10:35:59 PM

Azúcar! said: "So.. what’s the latest on the transfer?"

The latest was more on a cast recording with Nicole Scherzinger saying on I believe Michael Ball's radio show the other day "I think it's happening" - and others chiming in that the word is right after it closes in Januuary they'll record it?  I guess that's a newer trend (like Sunday in the Park with George with Jake Gyllenhal did in 2017)

The way things are go

Dec 1 2023, 02:53:39 PM

OhHiii said: "Rave review from Peter Marks. Really feels like when this comes, American Theatre Wing can just go ahead and engrave the Tony for Nicole.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater/2023/11/30/sunset-boulevard-scherzinger-jamie-lloyd/
"

Wow - between this and the NY Times review, ALW's Sunset Blvd has never gotten reviews like this.  Even in 1994 the most you could say was they were "mixed."   

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You