News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for sondheimfan2

sondheimfan2 Profile Photo
Member Name: sondheimfan2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Viva Las Vegas Production of "Follies"  Dec 4 2023, 07:08:18 PM

How bizarre

Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW  Dec 30 2022, 02:02:39 PM

After four months of waiting, I saw Wednesday's matinee. I have loved this show since the beginning. I eagerly read the NY Times coverage of the original when I was in high school. I have seen a few productions in my time - York and Encores - but this was near perfection! I have nothing new to add to what's already been said about this production, but I did leave the theatre wondering if this specific production can translate to Broadway without losing its intimacy, which is crucial t

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread  Dec 30 2022, 01:56:14 PM

I am definitely in the minority on this show, which I didn't see the need for. Yes, I enjoyed parts of it, but when the show ended, I thought it was okay. One of those shows that I am glad I got a ticket on TDF and didn't pay full price. 

The man-in-a-dress update was underwhelming and felt tacked on. 

Been seeing Broadway musicals since the early 1980s, and the last 5 years or so have really been disappointing with shows like Rocky, Pretty Wom

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22  Dec 28 2022, 10:24:14 AM

Not surprised by SLIH numbers. Saw it. Didn’t like it. 

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread  Nov 30 2022, 01:00:12 PM

I have to agree with what round 2 said. In addition, I saw the show two weeks ago and wasn't that impressed. The show has some elements going for it, but not enough to score a success. Although there are moments of musical comedy joy, the real problem is that it is missing heart. It's a paint-by-numbers musical without a real purpose. 

Hadestown Understudies  Nov 16 2022, 11:29:37 AM

Does anyone know if Lilias White will be in for tomorrow's performance (11/17)?

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22  Sep 28 2022, 01:14:00 PM

I can't see Audrea as Rose at all. To me, her voice is too legit and operatic for the role. Donna Murphy, on the other hand, is my choice. But that ship may have sailed.

Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW  Aug 18 2022, 06:53:47 PM

Just ordered my ticket for 12/20. Couldn't be more excited!!

MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29  May 14 2022, 04:57:46 PM

I guess I'm in the minority, but I thought this show was awful. There was no need to turn this into a musical. The numbers were forced into the story and made no sense (the number in the kitchen with the internet chefs...embarrassing). I hated this more than Rocky, which is saying something. 

Company reviews  Dec 17 2021, 05:37:45 PM

Saw the Wednesday evening performance and was blown away by the production. I have seen Patti in many shows,  but I have never seen her having so much fun with a role. The energy in the theatre was pure exhilaration. 

Company reviews  Dec 15 2021, 03:14:42 PM

I didn’t want to make a new thread for this question

What time is tonight’s (Wednesday) performance? My tickets list 8:00, but the Company website lists 7:00 at the top. 

I can’t wait to see this!!  Very excited. 

BEETLEJUICE Will Re-Open In Spring 2022  Sep 30 2021, 07:12:25 PM

I love the movie but didn't see why the show was popular. Saw the original run via TDF tickets, so I'm good.

Bernadette on screen  Jun 27 2020, 08:00:32 PM

sondheimfan2 said: "When I was a kid in the 1970s, she co-starred in a TV sitcom called "All's Fair" I think. Richard Creanna was her co-star. And for some strange reason, I think I remember the show was retooled and Michael Keaton was added for comic relief. Anyone remember this? Aired on CBS."

Well, it took me 9 years, but here's the answer to my own question from June 2011.

All's Fair

Best Broadway song ever?  May 19 2020, 10:20:02 AM

Are we choosing based on the construction of the song (music and lyrics) or the performance of the song? or both?

For performance, "Hello Dolly" is a thrilling number, but as a song it's pretty basic.

I'd vote for "Someone in a Tree"

I Want a Revival of ONCE UPON A MATTRESS  May 3 2020, 07:53:49 PM

I used to love this show as a kid (probably because it was the first show I did), but I think we all remember it better than it is. I agree with those criticize the show for its book. Anytime that Winifred isn’t on stage, it lags. And she only has one number in the second act. The show really only made it as a vehicle for Carol Burnett. SJP was all wrong for the revival; she’s not a belter. I can’t see this getting a major revival. 

Company Previews Thread  Mar 29 2020, 11:28:12 PM

Company segment from Musical Comedy Tonight 1979

I just stumbled upon this while searching YouTube for something else. I remember watching this show on PBS as a kid. I loved it then and now.

RAGTIME Reunion Concert Happening This April  Feb 3 2020, 07:07:17 PM

Got my tickets on Friday! Definitely worth joining as a member.

Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?  Dec 31 2019, 04:56:28 PM

For me, I couldn't believe these two were actually on Broadway:

Pretty Woman

Groundhog Day

Is a Toni Colette led MAME Revival Coming?  Jun 29 2019, 06:47:02 PM

If this show does get a revival -- no matter who the lead is -- it's going to be tricky with lyrics such as:

"You've given us the drive again
To make the South revive again, Mame..."

"This time the South will rise again..."

"You make the cotton easy to pick, Mame..."

"The whole plantation's humming
Since you brought Dixie back to Dixieland..."

Not sure how this song can be perf

Funniest Performances You've Ever Seen Onstage  Jun 5 2019, 11:28:33 AM

Anne Francine in pre-Broadway 1983 revival tour of Mame. Sadly, it never made it to Broadway. She was hilarious as Vera Charles.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You