pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 1:14pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 9/25/2022 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: FUNNY GIRL (13.9%), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (11.3%), BEETLEJUICE (8.6%), WICKED (5.1%), INTO THE WOODS (4.2%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (3.6%), CHICAGO (3.2%), COST OF LIVING (3.2%), LEOPOLDSTADT (3.1%), SIX (2.4%), ALADDIN (1%), A STRANGE LOOP (0.8%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (0.6%), THE LION KING (0.2%), COME FROM AWAY (0.1%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: DEATH OF A SALESMAN (-16.6%), 1776 (-7%), THE KITE RUNNER (-3.1%), THE MUSIC MAN (-0.8%), HADESTOWN (-0.3%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (-0.2%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

ElephantLoveMedley
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 1:23pm

Such a weird, interesting time for the industry. Into the Woods had the lowest capacity filled of any Broadway show (74.73%) and yet it still grossed nearly $1.15M.

Glad to see Funny Girl rebounding with Lea's return.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 1:41pm

Freaking Phantom closing still makes me so sad.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 1:43pm

Phantom should post closing notices more often

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

binau Profile Photo
binau
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 1:58pm

Calling it now, the next revival of GYPSY will be Lea Michele as Rose. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ElephantLoveMedley
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 2:09pm

binau said: "Calling it now, the next revival of GYPSY will be Lea Michele as Rose."

...wait, but she would actually crush this role in a few years when she's the right age for it. Wow. What a great casting idea.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 2:25pm

binau said: "Calling it now, the next revival of GYPSY will be Lea Michele as Rose."

I always thought our next Mama Rose would be either Audra or Idina, unless its the dream role of an Alist movie star along the lines of Nicole Kidman and they are willing to commit to a 9 month Broadway run. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 2:33pm

I know MTC productions don't normally set the box office on fire but yeesh that number for Cost of Living is not good

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 2:50pm

So beyond happy for COME FROM AWAY to be closing with sellout houses. Gonna be a bucket of tears on Sunday for their closing.

Phantom going to be a tough ticket to get from now until closing.

MJ's numbers are certainly the surprise show of the year.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 2:57pm

Nope. Nothing surprising about MJ's number, last year or this year. I will be happy when you stop being SHOCKED about an international hit that will be on Broadway and tour for years. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 3:00pm

Sutton Ross said: "Nope. Nothing surprising about MJ's number, last year or this year. I will be happy when you stop being SHOCKED about an international hit that will be on Broadway and tour for years."

Mixed reviews and frequent discounts are why I'm shocked their numbers are so high. Happy for the show, of course, but still surprised at their numbers.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Sutton Ross
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 3:04pm

Fair enough. 

Papi2013
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 3:05pm

Funny Girl is doing great.  But I am surprised it is not at 100 and above since they are now selling standing room.  

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 3:09pm

Papi2013 said: "Funny Girl is doing great. But I am surprised it is not at 100 and above since they are now selling standing room."

Julie's Thursdays will always lower the weekly percentage.

Papi2013
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 3:12pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Papi2013 said: "Funny Girl is doing great. But I am surprised it is not at 100 and above since they are now selling standing room."

Julie's Thursdays will always lower the weekly percentage.
"

Oh that is right. 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 3:16pm

ACL2006 said: "Sutton Ross said: "Nope. Nothing surprising about MJ's number, last year or this year. I will be happy when you stop being SHOCKED about an international hit that will be on Broadway and tour for years."

Mixed reviews and frequent discounts are why I'm shocked their numbers are so high. Happy for the show, of course, but still surprised at their numbers.
"

I'd put MJ's strong numbers alongside Lea's, in one sense. Not because their allegations have anything in common, or are remotely comparable, but because they show how "Cancel Culture" is largely not a thing, outside of maybe Twitter. They both seemed controversial prior, but now the box office shows the public doesnt care. Such "cancelling" may only matter if it alienates your core demo audience. If it doesn't, then that core demo (and possibly well beyond), aren't going to break their attachment.

(Also, it's interesting when I've seen someone make inferences about the success of one, saying how Bway didn't mean all it said in the past few years, while not being upset about the other. I, for one, think it's always a personal decision. So, I try not to make inferences about another's decision - except, I guess, unless it's about their inferences lol)

Sutton Ross
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 3:20pm

"Cancel Culture" is largely not a thing, outside of maybe Twitter. They both seemed controversial prior, but now the box office shows the public doesn't care"

Correct. It doesn't exist. 

hearthemsing22
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 3:34pm

Is anyone worried about those Hadestown numbers?

SomeOtherMe Profile Photo
SomeOtherMe
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 3:47pm

BJR said: "I'd put MJ's strong numbers alongside Lea's, in one sense. Not because their allegations have anything in common, or are remotely comparable, but because they show how "Cancel Culture" is largely not a thing, outside of maybe Twitter. They both seemed controversial prior, but now the box office shows the public doesnt care. Such "cancelling" may only matter if it alienates your core demo audience. If it doesn't, then that core demo (and possibly well beyond), aren't going to break their attachment.

(Also, it's interesting when I've seen someone make inferences about the success of one, saying how Bway didn't mean all it said in the past few years, while not being upset about the other. I, for one, think it's always a personal decision. So, I try not to make inferences about another's decision - except, I guess, unless it's about their inferences lol)
"

Eh. I personally have a bit of a different perspective on this.

Calling her out on her atrocious behavior absolutely did its job, depending on how you look at it. These allegations are something that will stay with her for the rest of her life. She'll consistently be forced to have to address them throughout her career and if it's true that she's mostly a nightmare to work with, it's now common knowledge and employers can decide whether or not they are willing to take that risk. Her career absolutely took a hit. To suggest that it does't work or doesn't exist simply because her entire life wasn't completely destroyed, or because she's currently having a nice career moment (which is still in it's early phases, we'll see how it all plays out) is not totally accurate.

Updated On: 9/27/22 at 03:47 PM

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 3:53pm

Oh hell no! Stephanie J Block NEEDS to be the next Mama Rose!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

BCfitasafiddle
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 3:54pm

Way to go, Lea. 

Phantom numbers make me happy, but so sad to think of why people are rushing to see it.

Agreed that MJ numbers aren't a shock. 

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 3:58pm

Sutton Ross said: ""Cancel Culture" is largely not a thing, outside of maybe Twitter. They both seemed controversial prior, but now the box office shows the public doesn'tcare"

Correct. It doesn't exist.
"

ummm tell that to everyone who worked on Natashia, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812 because I am sure they would disagree with you...

ddenoff2 Profile Photo
ddenoff2
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 4:02pm

Audra!!

TNick926 Profile Photo
TNick926
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 4:07pm

ElephantLoveMedley said: "Such a weird, interesting time for the industry.Into the Woodshad the lowest capacity filled of any Broadway show (74.73%) and yet it still grossed nearly $1.15M.

74% of the massive St. James theater is still a lot of people every week. 

I was surprised to see how much ITTW dropped though, when Sara Bareilles left the show.  She's an amazing draw in anything on Broadway!  Same effect when she was in WAITRESS.  So glad we have her for perpetuity on the revival cast album!  

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/25/22
Posted: 9/27/22 at 4:17pm

There will always be Lea Michele fans despite cancel culture. Question is whether that momentum can carry on with the non-GLEE fans in a few weeks or after the holidays.