pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22
Posted: 12/27/22 at 6:29pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 12/25/2022 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (9%), TAKE ME OUT (7.7%), CHICAGO (5.5%), AIN'T NO MO' (5.2%), & JULIET (4.7%), BEETLEJUICE (4.7%), ALADDIN (3.3%), FUNNY GIRL (3.2%), ALMOST FAMOUS (1.8%), LEOPOLDSTADT (0.9%), HADESTOWN (0.8%), HAMILTON (0.6%), MJ THE MUSICAL (0.2%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: A BEAUTIFUL NOISE, THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL (-24.4%), SOME LIKE IT HOT (-21.5%), A CHRISTMAS CAROL (-21.4%), 1776 (-18.3%), THE PIANO LESSON (-13%), TOPDOG / UNDERDOG (-10.3%), MIKE BIRBIGLIA: THE OLD MAN & THE POOL (-10.1%), OHIO STATE MURDERS (-8.2%), BETWEEN RIVERSIDE AND CRAZY (-7.5%), A STRANGE LOOP (-6.1%), DEATH OF A SALESMAN (-4.5%), KIMBERLY AKIMBO (-4.5%), INTO THE WOODS (-4.3%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-3.8%), THE MUSIC MAN (-2.8%), WICKED (-1%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (-1%), THE LION KING (-0.9%), SIX (-0.3%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22
Posted: 12/27/22 at 6:32pm

OOF.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22
Posted: 12/27/22 at 6:34pm

That's a real awkward Christmas week...

Oh look, a bibu!

BCfitasafiddle
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22
Posted: 12/27/22 at 6:38pm

Oh no. So much to be sad about, but SLIH really made me upset to see.

hearthemsing22
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22
Posted: 12/27/22 at 6:38pm

Disappointed to see Leopoldstadt drop so much! Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22 I'm hoping the next two weeks are good business for them! 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22
Posted: 12/27/22 at 6:42pm

Of all of this season’s shows, only & Juliet and Ain’t No Mo played to above 90%. The other 15 from this season, along with A Strange Loop, couldn’t crack 80%. 😞 

amiyagi
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22
Posted: 12/27/22 at 6:48pm

Yikes.

I have tickets for 1776 and Ohio State Murders Sat Jan 7 and neither show is very well sold. The seats I have are quite far off to the side (LincTix/HipTix)...with the theatre so empty, what's the protocol, if there is one, for moving closer? Ask at the box office?

The only time I've ever moved seats, the show closed the balcony and the ushers moved everyone to the mezz (Indecent).

Jordan Catalano
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22
Posted: 12/27/22 at 6:50pm

I adore “Some Like It Hot” but I don’t see it last much longer. 

InTheBathroom1
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22
Posted: 12/27/22 at 6:53pm

I think the winter storm and its impact on travel really caused this box office hit. I know how lucrative this time can be and to have that thwarted 2 years in a row is a big disappointment. 

tthomas76 Profile Photo
tthomas76
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22

Wondering if we will see more showing closing in the next couple weeks.  I have tickets to a few shows I'm wondering if they'll still be around when I'm there.  Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22  

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22

A reminder that most shows did only 7 performances this week and will be doing 9 performances this current week.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BroadwayBen
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22
Posted: 12/27/22 at 6:54pm

Broadway should just take 3 months off and come back in March.  Yikes...This is so disheartening...

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22
Posted: 12/27/22 at 6:55pm

I realize most of these #’s are based on a 7 show week but still…those are some drastic drops! What happened to A Beautiful Noise suddenly? And yes, SLIH is really on thin ice at this point. Ouch! 

BorisTomashevsky
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22
Posted: 12/27/22 at 6:56pm

Mr Meron would be well-served to expand his papering at the Shubert.

(For 1776 and Ohio State Murders, if they don’t move you first, you could safely move to a better seat at 2:03pm or 8:03pm, just before the show starts. The performers would actually be grateful if you do.)

Updated On: 12/27/22 at 06:56 PM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22
Posted: 12/27/22 at 7:02pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "Of all of this season’s shows, only & Juliet and Ain’t No Mo played to above 90%. The other 15 from this season, along with A Strange Loop, couldn’t crack 80%. ?"

ASL really got battered this week with three cancelled performances due to illness, including the 23rd evening and 24th matinee - both potential big money days.

Not surprising as I mentioned in the other thread at how the non-stop 16 performance stretch over 11 days really battered the main cast and understudies down. 

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22
Posted: 12/27/22 at 7:05pm

Wait until 8:04 and just move to an open seat. I did that at Ohio State Murders. Just beware that there is always a chance someone will show up after the show has started. At OSM there were so many open seats so it wasn’t an issue.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22
Posted: 12/27/22 at 7:07pm

I can't understand A BEAUTIFUL NOISE's numbers. Well over $1 million the weeks prior and then a drastic drop for this week. Meanwhile, this current week looks solid and will probably be around $1.5 million for a 9 show/week. Really curious to see how it does over the winter.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22
Posted: 12/27/22 at 7:08pm

BorisTomashevsky said: "Mr Meron would be well-served to expand his papering at the Shubert.

(For 1776 and Ohio State Murders, if they don’t move you first, you could safely move to a better seat at 2:03pm or 8:03pm, just before the show starts. The performers would actually be grateful if you do.)
"

You beat me to it, sorry!

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22
Posted: 12/27/22 at 7:10pm

BroadwayBen said: "Broadway should just take 3 months off and come back in March. Yikes...This is so disheartening..."

Please tell me this is a joke? The industry would struggle more being closed than open. What needs to happen is ticket prices need to be lowered, that can draw audiences in,  and maybe, just maybe have producers not invest so much money into a show that may or may not be a hit. Have the show scaled down a bit. The US economy is still trying hard to recover from the pandemic. No one ever thought this recovery would be a walk in the park on an ordinary Sunday! (Pardon my Sondheim reference, just had to) 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22
Posted: 12/27/22 at 7:25pm

ACL2006 said: "A reminder that most shows did only 7 performances this week and will be doing 9 performances this current week."

THIS!

And while Christmas week is generally a good time for Broadway musicals, the 24th & 25th are often bad days at the box office...and this year they happened to fall on Sat & Sun, what should be the two best box office days of the week. That plus a lot of messed-up travel plans due to the storm = a crummy week all around.

Next week will tell a better story. The numbers a month from now will be even more instructive.

Updated On: 12/27/22 at 07:25 PM

Jordan Catalano
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22
Posted: 12/27/22 at 7:28pm

These shows are also taking way too long to release discount codes. You build word of mouth during previews and it seems like most producers forgot that? Looking at the seats for some upcoming musicals starting in March - it’s bad. And no discount codes. I just don’t get it. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22
Posted: 12/27/22 at 7:30pm

Jordan Catalano said: "These shows are also taking way too long to release discount codes. You build word of mouth during previews and it seems like most producers forgot that? Looking at the seats for some upcoming musicals starting in March - it’s bad. And no discount codes. I just don’t get it."

A BEAUTIFUL NOISE needs a good discount code for the Winter for Tue-Fri evenings.

Jordan Catalano
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22
Posted: 12/27/22 at 7:31pm

Look at “Dancin”…

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22
Posted: 12/27/22 at 7:33pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Look at “Dancin”…"

How long do we think that will last?

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Jarethan
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/25/22
Posted: 12/27/22 at 7:47pm

The thing that amazes me is that all the war horses did really well; hell, even Chicago went up this week (do they have any stunt casting that I am not aware of?).  Unless something changes, I can (a little exaggeratedly) envision a Broadway someday in which the average age of the shows is 26 years, the only new musicals are Juke Box musicals, and all new shows open for a limited engagement only, with star names helping to entice people to attend.  'See Brad Pitt as Don Q'...'see Sandra Bullock as Hedda Gabler' and etc.  You wanna see something new without a star?? That's strictly off-Broadway (which is fine for people living in NYC, but is going to see further decreases in attendance by even Jerseyites, let alone tourists).  Hell, we have already been heading in that direction for some time...it'll just be moreso.

I can already predict that the old war-horses will do even better next week, FG will break the house record again, that the slightly older newish (newer oldish?) musicals (Hadestown, Moulin Rouge) will do great (because the older musicals are already sold out) and maybe even break house records, that one new musical (&J) will do great, and everything else will do worse (factoring out the 9 vs. 7 performance variable).  And it's still Christmas week. 

If SLIH is heading to the disaster people think is possible (hell, it only grossed $32K more than KA, and $110K less than Almost Famous!!!!), why would anyone want to invest in a new musical?  The difference in business that Piano Lesson is doing relative to Topdog, Death of a Salesman, Riverside, Cost of Living, and etc., is certainly proof of the need for stars.  Does anyone think Piano Lesson would be doing much better than any of the others if it did not have Samuel L Jackson, supported by JD Washington's Broadway debut?

I remember X years ago when a bunch of shows advertised greatly reduced prices for January - March, with a couple of exclusions (Sat pm, President's week-end).  I do not, however, remember if it made a difference.  Does anyone else remember?  Not sure whether any actions will reap positive results, but it would be nice to see some of the theatres housing well reviewed shows at least better attended.

Updated On: 12/27/22 at 07:47 PM

Videos