MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/12/22 at 10:37pm

Link

If the “Into the Woods” transfer happens I do hope it goes in this theatre, as the one column suggested. 

Updated On: 5/12/22 at 10:37 PM

hearthemsing22
#2MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/12/22 at 10:42pm

Did they seriously drop this at 10pm on a Thursday night?? 

huh. Anyway. So sad for everyone involved. It was a truly delightful show. 

RWPrincess
#3MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/12/22 at 10:43pm

That's unfortunate. I really enjoyed this show. Wishing the best for everyone involved.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#4MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/12/22 at 10:44pm

I was hoping to see it this summer despite the middling reviews but I knew that was unlikely with the grosses and lack of Tony noms. Oh well. I could still see it being a popular regional/amateur show down the road.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#5MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/12/22 at 10:44pm

Yeah, I’ve seen it quite a few times and have thoroughly enjoyed myself each time. 

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#6MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/12/22 at 10:45pm

Always sad for all those involved, who are putting it all out there every night but the writing was on the wall. Is anyone really shocked?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#7MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/12/22 at 10:45pm

Glad I saw it.

Happy trails!

Oh look, a bibu!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#8MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/12/22 at 10:49pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Did they seriously drop this at 10pm on a Thursday night??"

It’s (a) a way to bury the announcement, and (b) a sign that they told the cast after the show and not before. (Usually these announcements happen 35 minutes before showtime and the release goes out at half hour so there’s not a bunch of leaks.)

BCfitasafiddle
#9MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/12/22 at 10:51pm

Sad for everyone involved. Just bad timing I think. 

On a separate note, t I guess this mean Into the Woods really could transfer to the Sondheim.

Hairspray0901
#10MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/12/22 at 10:54pm

Ugh! I feel so sad for their cast and crew. They really went through the ringer. Saw it twice and absolutely adored it. Rob McClure is giving one of the best performances of this season, IMO. Such a shame they’re closing so soon. MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29

MattieIce2018
#11MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/12/22 at 11:08pm

Per the BWW article about the closing - the OBCR will be released in June.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#12MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/12/22 at 11:11pm

MattieIce2018 said: "Per the BWW article about the closing - the OBCR will be released in June."

Well in that case, stay tuned for an official thread sooner or later!

Sucks this show couldn’t push through to August / Labor Day. 

Oh look, a bibu!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#13MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/12/22 at 11:54pm

The timing couldn't have been worse for almost everything during its run. I feel bad for everyone involved.

But this wouldn't have made any money in normal times either. They took a wonderful movie with an irreplaceable star performance and tried to shoehorn it into a musical with a terrible score which added nothing to the scenes, a too-safe book, direction/choreo/design that did not elevate it, and perhaps above all an over-cautiousness that turned it into a lifeless show.

I don't blame Rob McClure, who did the very best he could and found wonderful moments.

The failure of this show stemmed from Kevin McCollum's hubris that his friends who wrote SOMETHING ROTTEN over the span of 10+ years could strike again in half the time. SOMETHING ROTTEN worked because of two people: Casey Nicholaw and Glen Kelly. Jerry Zaks' one great hit in the past 15 years had Scott Rudin guiding it every step of the way, but Zaks & McCollum could not bring that spark to (MRS.) DOUBTFIRE –– especially not when paired with choreographer Lorin Latarro and orchestrator/arranger Ethan Popp, both of whom are wildly overemployed.

Updated On: 5/13/22 at 11:54 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#14MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/13/22 at 2:13am

Geez. I thought this will stick it out through the summer at least. How unfortunate.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#15MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/13/22 at 2:26am

“You’ve been playing with fireeeee…”

I figured they would try to get the camp/school groups during the summer but I guess not. I personally didn’t like the show, but I loved Rob in the role. Hopefully he gets another lead soon. 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?
Updated On: 5/13/22 at 02:26 AM

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#16MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/13/22 at 3:34am

I hope I don't offend anyone, but I'm actually surprised it lasted this long. Shocked!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Markecib
#17MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/13/22 at 7:15am

Sad this is closing (again) so soon. This cast has been thru a lot the past 3 years. I really enjoyed this show and smiled the whole way thru. Rob McClure is one of the best actors on Broadway today and I hope he gets to do a show that is a hit soon. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#18MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/13/22 at 8:04am

Rob would be a great Baker in ITW, not to mention and very interesting (to say the least) dentist+etc. characters in LSOH

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#19MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/13/22 at 9:07am

I feel so bad for this cast and crew. With all the stops and starts, have they even played two months of performances straight through. I can't figure out what went into all these business decisions, but it's all just so sad the folks in the theatre day to day had be dragged each all of them. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#20MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/13/22 at 9:22am

everythingtaboo said: "but it's all just so sad the folks in the theatre day to day had be dragged each all of them."

Everythingtaboo - are you ok?  This last bit has me concerned for your health.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#21MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/13/22 at 9:26am

dramamama611 said: "everythingtaboo said: "but it's all just so sad the folks in the theatre day to day had be dragged each all of them."

Everythingtaboo - are you ok? This last bit has me concerned for your health.
"

Add a "to" before "be," and replace "each" with "into."

Updated On: 5/13/22 at 09:26 AM

InTheBathroom1
#22MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/13/22 at 10:20am

Valentina3 said: "Rob would be a great Baker in ITW, not to mention and very interesting (to say the least) dentist+etc. characters in LSOH"

I saw him do the Baker at the MUNY with Heather Headley as the Witch and it was fantastic.  Rob is a perfect baker.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#23MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/13/22 at 10:26am

A fine group of talented folks. I feel like they've been through hell and back for years now and it's time for that to end. I wish them all the luck in the world with their future projects. 

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#24MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/13/22 at 10:28am

What's the best way to get tickets to this for closing weekend/perf? Happen to be moving to the city that week and want to see it before it goes— will it be too hard to rush on TodayTix by then? I suppose if TDF adds the closing performances I'll go that route but what're the chances that happens?

pagereynolds
#25MRS. DOUBTFIRE To Close 5/29
Posted: 5/13/22 at 10:42am

Sutton Ross said: "A fine group of talented folks. I feel like they've been through hell and back for years now and it's time for that to end. I wish them all the luck in the world with their future projects."

Pretty sure that nobody in the cast would describe being in that show as being through hell and back. You might want to work on your phrasing when you post a little!