News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Auggie27

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Member Name: Auggie27
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The Official TDF Thread  May 5 2024, 09:02:51 PM

Water for Elephants, front mezz, row E, great seat.

Patriots, front mezz, row A center - no bar! As good as it gets. 

Illinoise, Saturday Matinee, Orchestra row M, seats 114, 112. Just superb. (And my response to this rapturously beautiful show is in its reviews thread.)

I've had a great 2024 with our beloved TDF. Two times Days of Wine and Roses, second row center orchestra both. 

Merrily without Radcliffe, rear orchestra, perfect sightline

ILLINOISE Reviews  May 5 2024, 11:56:36 AM

I so agree with Jordan about the acting snubs. I was glad to see that Ricky Ubeda got a Drama Desk nomination. He just broke me, at two key points in the narrative. Anyone who doesn't believe dancers are nuanced actors: this is Exhibit A to make you into a true believer. As technically refined and precise as the choreography is, its execution is so emotion-fueled, you feel everything the characters feel.

The piece's impact is mysterious, the story told so artfully externali

ILLINOISE Reviews  May 5 2024, 10:33:53 AM

I saw this eloquent heartbreaker yesterday. In addition to Movin' Out, Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake sprang to mind, the corralling and unleashing of male energy in dance to express a limitless emotional range. I'm simply haunted: a ballet, a full throttle concert of a beloved album*, a hybrid piece of theatrical storytelling all at once. Passionately danced, the precision in the performance, exquisite. Even having read reviews, I was startled by the many surprises, in

ILLINOISE Reviews  Apr 28 2024, 01:07:45 PM

Popped up on TDF today, and I snared seats for Saturday's matinee 5/4. Thrilled.

PATRIOTS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 27 2024, 08:15:51 PM

A movable set piece crashed moving downstage before Yeltsin’s appearance. Stuhlbarg handled it masterfully before the PSM called a halt. The resumed act one rewound to the very top of the scene before. The furniture was struck. My third recent experience with automation failure stopping a show. A Strange Loop stalled for over 20 minutes early on; Girl From the North Country in the final 15 minutes, necessitating a longer reprise. Today, it somewhat damaged the momentum

MARY JANE Reviews  Apr 23 2024, 09:30:30 PM

I'm so happy for everyone, but especially Herzog. I saw the play in its first NYC iteration (with the quiet but ever sturdy Carrie Coon, magnificent) and always wondered why it didn't move. It's what I called the anti-Joe Egg, a play that daringly uses the theater to earnestly explore what we've grown used to in cable drama. The straightforward depiction of this 11th hour is what so touched me, the play refusing to pretend that this isn't what it is; port

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Apr 21 2024, 10:54:39 PM

Neuwirth is the reason that I will plunk down my filthy lucre, and these reviews suggest I won't be let down. As for the rest, it sounds exhausting, the last thing a decent Cabaret should be. I've seen all of the major stagings, dating to the fine first national of the original, and still wonder what this one says in 2024. It needs more relevance than a Black Cliff; it needs to point to how a blend of ennui, willful indifference to power grabs, and aggression ca

MARY JANE Previews  Apr 19 2024, 09:12:32 PM

Comparisons are odious, but Carrie Coon was devastating in this role, the last scene has stuck with me for 5+ years, her playing so understated and recognizably real: we know this woman, whose seeming fragility - she's both beleaguered and resilient - is matched by an internal pilot light that glows steadily in the face of untold crises. I've heard that McAdams is fine, but the role is a quiet tour de force, a young mother like no other in recent memory, beautifully con

THE GREAT GATSBY Broadway Previews  Apr 19 2024, 09:03:28 PM

"...if this show did not have the star power of Jeremy and Eva, this show would flop faster than Bad Cinderella or Diana..."

I respect both, and actually love the specific recent work of one. But are they evidence of "star power" on Broadway?  Sorry, but only on these boards. .

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 16 2024, 03:14:56 PM

Forget the flops, go back and read the reviews of Evita. Just the two NY Times critics, opening night and Sunday. I moved to NYC that autumn of 1979 (saw very first preview, 9/10/79; wall, row N of the mezzanine) and still remember how negative they were. In many ways, they were eerily like these: finding fault with how history is characterized, how many scenes are presentational/narrative (Walter Kerr insisted Che’s overuse for exposition dumps and thus unreliability strips dr

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 15 2024, 07:14:44 PM

I’ve read four pans by women, all of which land on craft issues reflected in the consensus. This hardly seems like white male prejudicial blinders writ large (and I’m acknowledging that gender bias exists, in analysing the canon and new work). It’s interesting that the most articulate of the women critics - whose critique encompasses both structural issues and the show’s failure to fully dramatize the title character in satisfying musical theatre terms - is taking

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 15 2024, 05:28:00 AM

Early discussions about the spring being too crowded to allow shows to find their niche audiences have now proven prophetic. This is the kind of piece that might've inched forward, surviving by building on a cultish following. But with so much to choose from for consumers, it has Paradise Square written all over it: a show built around a powerful leading performance and a game support but too little else to recommend. Pull quotes about belting, all kidding aside, don&#3

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 14 2024, 11:17:13 PM

This site is characterizing the Green review as mixed? Has everyone with access read it? It’s a pan with a few nods to a handful of disparate elements. 

LEMPICKA Previews  Apr 14 2024, 07:46:53 PM

Seriously, whatever the structural problems with this show - with its craft, its decisions about what and when to musicalize or its handling of the source material - they have zero to do with the diversity in its casting. When these digressive arguments ensue about the supposed inclusionary casting bias in a major working artist, here a director, no one wins. The Broadway theater is a beautifully representative canvas right now. In the last two years alone we've seen a Black art

LEMPICKA Previews  Apr 11 2024, 10:29:09 AM

Some of us have waited for its more extensive availability on TDF, and it happened today. Lots of choices, including three matinees. 

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews  Apr 10 2024, 09:23:11 AM

Hearing this, I'm wondering if it's just some bizarre directorial choice.

I found Cliff on the West End recording to be the oddest, if not the weakest, link. The role has been described as thankless by some, and of course, losing "Why Should I Wake Up?" Cliff is barely a participant in a musical. But he's always been the "I" who served as the camera, the reliable narrator, and the show is severely compromised if he's poorly cast. John Be

LEMPICKA Previews  Apr 10 2024, 09:17:08 AM

Two friends: "This season's Paradise Square." 

THE WIZ Previews  Apr 8 2024, 10:25:12 AM

I can actually imagine a deconstructed Wiz fueled by a new concept - say, a Kansas church congregation in lockdown during a tornado warning that puts on the story with available props and pieces, transforming themselves and the situation. A smart director could carve something new from the material, finding an expression of solidarity in a frightened community (the film did this, albeit about NYC; rural might be refreshing). But why do a straight up concept-free fantasy wit

MARY JANE Previews  Apr 7 2024, 10:28:14 AM

"Performances including McAdams are the reason to go. The play itself does good character work but largely feels like a series of vignetttes at times."

In the original production, it was only after the midpoint that we realized the structural plan: no spoilers, but the play focuses on a particular chapter of the title character's life, and zeroes in for a kind of close-up of all that it entails, including those she meets as collaborators and/

MARY JANE Previews  Apr 3 2024, 08:45:37 AM

I saw the original NY production with Carrie Coon, which was exquisite in every way. That staging had a kind of coup de theatre in the middle (no spoiler) that involved a set change. The play is naturalistic, but the production offered a theatrical prism on the story that allowed an almost metaphysical construct, the piece's gritty details measured against a benevolent universe. Will be curious to see if that imagery is used here.  

It's a beautiful, ambitious play, it

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You