News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for ageorges3

ageorges3 Profile Photo
Member Name: ageorges3
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

9/2/21 Reopening Nights Thread
 Sep 3 2021, 01:57:02 PM
Any word yet on whether they raised the music for Hades to accommodate Hewitt? From what I know of his other work, it doesn’t seem like he has the same bass range as Page. Raises an interesting question about what will happen to the role in the future - there are so few leading men types on Broadway with bona fide bass voices.
OH, HELLO ON BROADWAY
 Oct 10 2016, 12:15:48 AM

Bumping this - did any of you guys catch this since it started previews in September?  Curious to hear your take!  I'm more of a musical theater guy but theater like this interests me - been trying to broaden my horizons a bit!

Broadway related acts on SNL
 Oct 10 2016, 12:08:42 AM

SNL's also done some pretty funny Broadway-related skits over the years - the one with different MT characters like the Phantom they did a few years back made me laugh a lot!  

Bobby Moynihan as Mr. Mistoffelees was beyond hilarious - ""Meow, meow, meow, meow!" It is I, the magical Mr. Mistoffelees" 

Found a transcript, whoever wrote this sketch would've been given every award possible if I had a say!

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/08/08lbroadway.phtml

Will Amber Riley led DREAMGIRLS transfer to Bway?
 Oct 9 2016, 09:46:58 PM

Riley definitely has a voice that seems like it would be suited for Dreamgirls.  She has a big sound that seems inherently consistent with what we've come to associate with Dreamgirls through J Hud's and Jennifer Holiday's performances.  

Was a fan of her work on Glee for years, and always thought she had the talent and ability to pull off a production of a more substantial length (not going to name names, but many TV/Hollywood folks do what I call "Hollywood

Sound design question
 Oct 6 2016, 10:54:02 PM

Loved that article!  Some of the tech specs went a bit over my head, but you can still get a sense of what they have to do differently with different types of shows - loved the part about designing South Pacific for the Beaumont (as a theater, it can't be an easy space to design for in general - between the thrust and arena style seating), and Hair too (another tough show to design for, the Paulus revival at the Hirschfeld involved actors moving around that stage regularly, clim

Sound design question
 Oct 6 2016, 09:19:43 PM

Thanks for sharing that!  Checked it out already a while back, but I appreciate you sharing it - it's exactly the kind of piece I was looking for!

Sound design question
 Oct 6 2016, 08:43:13 PM

Hey guys!

I've always had a general interest in sound design (it's my favorite creative/design element of a given production) and I wanted to learn a bit more about it tonight - does anyone know of any interviews about designing sound for a specific theater?  Know it's a really specific question, but I figured the creatives who look at this board from time to time (I'm sure BWW has more than a few sound designers in its ranks) might know of something.

What went wrong with Shuffle Along?
 Oct 3 2016, 03:47:13 PM

For folks that saw the show - were there specific things in the book you found intelligently and or poorly done?  I'm always interested with the writing process guys like Wolfe go through in retellings like this - you have to integrate elements of the actual story from the original production all those years ago compellingly (and Wolfe is really smart, I'm sure he pulled it off brilliantly - really do wish I'd been able to catch this one) along with the new aspects of the sto

What went wrong with Shuffle Along?
 Oct 2 2016, 06:20:41 PM

Wish I'd been able to see Shuffle, and wish it was still running today!  Audra's salary, Stokes' salary, Porters salary, and a host of other variable probably came into play.  That entire company was amazingly talented, and its an unfortunate balancing act with shows produced in a capitalist system (very different overseas where certain theaters are funded with public resources and big name stars often agree to do a show at a lower fee for the sake of art) - you hav

Shows you've walked out of
 Oct 2 2016, 06:08:29 PM

Not a fan of walking out of shows - I understand the impulse (it's money I've spent on so-and-so product and I'm not satisfied), but I've been pleasantly surprised, at least with shows I've seen solo (I live in the New Jersey area and have been fortunate enough to get into the city frequently over the years) with the second act of a show I was somewhat hesitant about after the act one ended.  A lot of shows seem to fall into that camp (also a lot that veer the other w

Borderless Playbill Covers
 Oct 1 2016, 05:56:14 PM

Big fan of the look of the new playbills!  I've gotten so accustomed to the borders over the years that it's a bit jarring looking at the current ones at first glance, but a show's given artwork looks a bit cleaner and neater with the new design.  Playbills mean a lot to me - my dad's had a pretty cool connection to Playbill most his life (he grew up and is friends with Phil Birsh - he's still at the company these days), and I've appreciated the loo

Idina as Grizabella?
 Oct 1 2016, 08:38:30 AM

Haven't gotten a chance to take a look at the audition tape yet, but as a general idea, this interests me.  Saw her in Wicked years ago and was floored by her considerable talents!  She has the cache among audiences with well-deserved fame from Frozen and Rent to have a significant impact at the box office (might not be feasible with her schedule, but I think the idea of her making a limited appearance in a production - even if not the current revival at the Simon - of the

The lion king tour is downsizing
 Sep 30 2016, 04:55:39 PM

If anyone can pull of downsizing a tour without losing anything of artistic value, it's Disney.  It seems the trend over recent years has been to strip down touring companies of a show and send it out non-equity, and consequently, tour audiences suffer (not going to name any of the touring productions that fall into this category based on pics I've seen over the years).  Lion King's already been on the road for years, it's part of Disney theatrical and I doubt they&#

Imelda Staunton to Star as Sally in West End Follies
 Sep 30 2016, 12:38:40 AM

Often wish I lived in London so I could catch stuff like this!  Thought Staunton was extremely successful in her portrayal of Umbridge in the Potter movies - it's an unlikeable character that I wasn't a fan of in the books, but from a performance perspective, she definitely had an interesting take on the part!  Realized years later, well after I saw Order of the Phoenix, that she's had a wonderful stage career as well - Gypsy, Sweeney - and it seems like she's a high

Just grabbed tix
 Sep 29 2016, 11:44:26 PM

Lena really does seem like one of those versatile few (performers who can play musical roles of all different types with all different kinds of vocal requirements, and do it amazingly well!)  Thought she was a standout in KB (even if her part was technically considered supporting, performers of her caliber make you forget that during their time on a stage!  And that she's achieved this awesome level of success since then (lead roles, praises from critics for her versatility) is

Worst Marketing you've seen.
 Sep 29 2016, 10:23:13 PM

An example of awesome marketing (following up from my post earlier in this thread referencing Mormon)!  ALW seems to have shows that are marketed in such a way that the artwork used becomes iconic.  Everyone - from New Yorkers to tourists just in the city for a weekend - can look at that Phantom mask (on ads in subways, in Times Square, in a newspaper) and know it's Phantom of the Opera.  Cats, likewise, has achieved iconic status in terms of marketing - you see those yellow cat eyes on a marquee, on ads around the city, and you know its Cats.  You don't need to be a theater aficionado to have that knowledge - much like the branding in other businesses that's achieved extreme levels of success (Nike check mark, etc), the image of those two cat eyes is so well known, so readily identifiable, that you intuitively know what's being marketed!  That's marketing at it's best - imagery that becomes indelibly associate with the production they're trying to sell tix for.  Felt beyond excited when I walked into the Winter Garden with my Yiayia (Greek for grandma) to see my first Broadway show, passing by this artwork and wondering what theater was all about - and I have no doubt someone walks into the Simon each night, seeing their first Broadway show, feeling the same way.  Marketing at its best.

Link:  tn-500_catsmarqwm02100282134.jpg

The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
 Sep 28 2016, 11:43:15 PM

Excited about the idea of a ITH movie!  Never got a chance to see the show on Broadway during its original run, but I remember watching the finale sequence of the closing performance on Youtube - that entire LMM rap towards the end of the song, with the ensemble coming in through the background, gave me chills for years (really do want to see some version of the full show from top to bottom).  It seems like the trend over the recent past - Les Mis, Into the Woods - is indicating to

Sep 28 2016, 05:52:18 PM

Agree about the N2N theater-specific marketing being awesome - I thought the headshots they had (Tveit, Damiano) were a cool way for folks passing by the Booth to get the sense that the show had something to do with a family (plus most shows - and I love this type of marketing just as much - have what I sometimes refer to as "Joan Marcus" - esque marketing: photos taken by pros like Marcus blown up and pasted on a theater facade.  It's an equally valid form of marketing. &n

Sep 27 2016, 08:58:17 PM

I watched an interview with Hugh Panaro on Seth Rudetsky's chatterbox years ago and was intriuged by what he had to say about Side Show's marketing.  The team hired to do the work for that show did the production an unfortunate disservice with the work they did, and the show unfortunately closed up shop way sooner than it should have (never got to see it to my regret, was too young at the time!)  I've felt similarly about marketing for other shows like Next to Normal.  They look pleasing aesthetically, but at the same time, they don't tell the average consumer (outside of us theater nerds) much about the shows content - and its those markets that the producers rely on for a show to run for a while.  Always been of the opinion that guys like Scott Rudin, producers with significant artistic acumen, hire the best firms and know what they want conveyed in the marketing for their shows.  If you look at the TV marketing for Mormon (did a cursory search and couldn't find the exact firm he hired) it's successful on a ton of different levels - Brantley quote, music from the show - executed in a catchy, fun, light hearted way.   

Linked artwork from Next to Normal so you guys can get a sense of what I mean (the coloring is pleasing - anything in purple looks good, it's cool imagery, but the actual quote says little about the show other than it being something that will pull at the heart strings): Next_to_Normal_original_poster_art.jpg

Vocal Dubbing in the Film Version of INTO THE WOODS
 Sep 26 2016, 02:22:30 AM

I saw bits of the Into the Woods movie last summer and was impressed by the overall level of talent - Baranski was sensational (she's perfect in everything she does, the caliber of her work in Good Wife and even smaller supporting roles like in the Birdcage is consistently stellar) and Streep was awesome (when isn't she?).  

Didn't notice too much about the specifics of the dubbing and accompanying arrangements with ITW though - with Les Mis, it was an entirely di

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You